Window screens - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: 2007 13ft scamp
Michigan
Window screens

Have been cleaning and scrubbing our little gem. Have a little problem. Wanted to remove the screens in our new/used 2007 scamp to wash them but can't figure out how to get them out. Hubby is very protective of her and is hesitant of me taking anything apart for fear we'll end up breaking something. It was so full of cigarette smoke I wasn't sure I'd get it out but we cleaned the fabric on the walls with a carpet cleaner and pulled out the carpet on the floor. Opening it up daily has helped she's fresh and clean. I wanted to paint the cabinet doors but the egg czar says we probably shouldn't remove the doors. I would like to clean the screens though as they smell like smoke? If anyone knows how to safely remove them I'd appreciate it. Thanks Also, We left a dry towel in the bottom closet to the right of the door, next day it was damp and I could not find wet anywhere in the closet? This is the best site, I've been looking for hours. Everyone has such great ideas for these sweet little eggs!
scamprookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #2

Name: Linda
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
California
Registry
Hi John,

We replaced the front and back windows of our Uhaul with Scamp windows. One came without a screen, so they sent us one to install. It has two flexible tabs at the top of the screen that pressure-fit it into the upper channel. All we did was insert those tabs into the top window channel and then drop the screen down into the bottom channel. So I imagine that to get the screen out, you would just lift up to compress the tabs until the bottom clears the lower channel, and then slide the bottom of the screen toward you until it's free, then drop the screen out of the upper channel.
Lindl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamprookie View Post
Have a little problem. Wanted to remove the screens in our new/used 2007 scamp to wash them but can't figure out how to get them out. Hubby is very protective of her and is hesitant of me taking anything apart for fear we'll end up breaking something.!
Welcome and congrats on your new trailer!

I am not sure if your year of Scamp has the same slider windows and screens as mine but the screens can be taken out. To get mine out I need to push them up or down into the frame. . There is a metal clip on the top or bottom (depending on who last took them out) sliding edge of the screen that you cant see when they are in place. The clip is bent up a bit in the middle and acts like a spring load to hold the screens in place. Sometimes I have to slide the screens forward out of their normal position a little before there is enough clearance to lift them out of the window frame. Hope that helps. I take mine out at last once a year and soak them in a big tub of water to get rid of dust & tiny bugs etc.

Re the damp in the closet. Did you just wash the outside of the trailer? What do you have on that side of the trailer? Any vents on the outside close to the closet? Is the trailer sitting perfectly level? if not the water could be coming from another location front or back depending on how the trailer is sitting. Check your sink pipes for leaks or one of the outside fixtures may need to be resealed or have a slow leak. Or it could be coming from a loose rivet in the ceiling area and the water will run behind the rat fur to the floor.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Sorry Linda, not sure why but I didnt see your post and had covered the screen issue way better than I did! :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
On my Scamp next to the closet under the seat is the water tank. If there are water issues I would look there first. run a paper towel around the lines and tank and if dry I would fill the water tank and check again with a dry paper towel. if you find wet paper towel find the leak as you dont want standing moisture to rot your floors. scamp coats the floors to help protect them from leaks but when I removed my tank there was no treatment under the tank just bare wood. My leak ended up being the rear window. I had to remove the window and replace the seal between the outer window frame and the outside shell. Instead of using the failed foam seal I used butyl tape.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: 2007 13ft scamp
Michigan
We have one slider in the back. The others have a knob you have to turn to crank the little window panels out. I'll check tomorrow for the tabs. Thanks for the information. I can't believe how helpful everyone is. Thanks soo much! Also sounds as if I'll have to do some investigating as to the towel dampness. Egg czar says today he's not sure towel may have been damp when he left it in there. He was doing some fiberglass work around the door hinge while his 80yr old dad insisted on helping. So, was maybe damp already. I think we'll try putting a dry towel in there on a rainy day and see what happens? To be continued, Again Thanks a million!
John's Becky
scamprookie is offline   Reply With Quote