WindowMaxx Vent Cover For Our Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Thumbs up

Hi Everyone!

Has anyone had experience with the WindowMax vents? MaxxWindowWebsite

I just bought a Bigfoot 19 push travel trailer , which I plan to use during the Winter.

The trailer has an AC unit and furnace. But it lacks a roof mounted air vent.

Because I will be using the furnace during the night, I'd like proper ventilation. Opening a window may not work on rainy nights.

My first thoughts were to purchase a new Fantastic or Maxi Fan and have it professionally installed on the roof. But I do have other big purchases and the WindowMax vent may be a good, temporary economical solution.

For anyone who has used this system, what are you likes/dislikes? Any problems with leaks?

For you Bigfoot owners with ACs: Will the roof/wiring accommodate a roof mounted power fan in addition to the AC? I find it curious that the older Bigfoots have either an AC or roof fan, but not both. Am I missing something?

Looking forward to your comments.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Jane,

I put Window Maxx's on both side windows of my 13 Scamp the first year I got it. That's been a full 9 years now and I have had no problems with them. They allow me the ability to have ventilation without rain coming in. I also happen to have a louvred window over the stove which is always open when the trailer is parked. Having the Window Maxx's definitely reduces condensation. I'd add them to any trailer that I might have.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Hi Jane

I installed a WindowMaxx on the curb side window of our EggCamper and have been very satisfied with it. It installs in about 20 minutes including taking the time to read the instructions. It provides good ventilation and is excellent at keeping the rain out.

We just finished our Christmas trip from Golden CO to Ft. Mohave AZ with a side trip to Quartzsite. Over 2,000 miles total. Temps ranged from mid 60s down to -11. Kept the window with the WindowMaxx open about 1 inch at night and had no problems with condensation. The furnace kept it nice and toasty inside even at -11. I tested the rain repellent feature last summer on a trip to Illinois. Not one drop of rain inside while it poured down outside.

I have also installed a MaxxFan and find that with the window open a couple of inches and the fan set on low on the "out" mode we had good cooling.

If you are planning on installing an air conditioner keep in mind that most roof mount AC units have an exhaust mode that allows them to work as an exhaust fan when you don't need air conditioning but do need some airflow. That negates the need for a separate fan unless you need to run the fan when you are not tethered to an AC outlet since the fan runs off of AC.

Hope that helps.

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #4

Quote:
I installed a WindowMaxx on the curb side window of our EggCamper and have been very satisfied with it. It installs in about 20 minutes including taking the time to read the instructions. It provides good ventilation and is excellent at keeping the rain out.

We just finished our Christmas trip from Golden CO to Ft. Mohave AZ with a side trip to Quartzsite. Over 2,000 miles total. Temps ranged from mid 60s down to -11. Kept the window with the WindowMaxx open about 1 inch at night and had no problems with condensation. The furnace kept it nice and toasty inside even at -11. I tested the rain repellent feature last summer on a trip to Illinois. Not one drop of rain inside while it poured down outside.

I have also installed a MaxxFan and find that with the window open a couple of inches and the fan set on low on the "out" mode we had good cooling.

If you are planning on installing an air conditioner keep in mind that most roof mount AC units have an exhaust mode that allows them to work as an exhaust fan when you don't need air conditioning but do need some airflow. That negates the need for a separate fan unless you need to run the fan when you are not tethered to an AC outlet since the fan runs off of AC.

Hope that helps.

Orlen
Thanks Orlen, that does help.

I [b]do have an AC unit but I [b]do not have a roof mounted fan.

You may have explained why the Bigfoots do not have both power air fans and AC units. Once the trailer is moved to its new home, I'll be able to play around the the AC unit to see how well it performs as an exhaust fan.

Even so, I'd sleep better at night knowing that the cabin is properly ventilated to protect against condensation and provide safety while the propane furnace is operating. I'm hoping that the WindowMaxx will prove to be a perfect solution.

As an aside, the EggCamper has been on my short list of potential trailers. I always paid appreciated your posts regarding your experiences with the EggCamper. One reason I went with the Bigfoot was my intention to do some winter camping. It is good to know that your EggCamper performed so well on your Christmas trip.

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I have the window maxx on both side rear windows and leave them open about an inch all the time. If i bought another trailer they would be one of the first things i would install as i really like them.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Does the Window Maxx only allow you to open the window 4 inches? Or, have I read the installation information incorrectly?

Having a senior moment here.

Without an air conditioner in our unit I want all the open window I can get, but would really like the Window Maxx otherwise.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992 / Chevrolet S10 4.3L.
In my previous Scamp 16' i have 2 max vent installed by previous owner and it's great especially combined with a maxfan
In rainy day or hot day, open 2 window and run mafan on exhaust positon : result an fresh air breeze
In my new Bigfoot 17' i have installed a new mafan in the roof and i open le vent in the bathroom , it's make a nice flow of air but this spring i will install 2 new maxvent in the windows each side of the table to make same thing of my old Scamp

Maxvent and Maxfan are two great product !!!!

Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #8

Quote:
In my previous Scamp 16' i have 2 max vent installed by previous owner and it's great especially combined with a maxfan
In rainy day or hot day, open 2 window and run mafan on exhaust positon : result an fresh air breeze
In my new Bigfoot 17' i have installed a new mafan in the roof and i open le vent in the bathroom , it's make a nice flow of air but this spring i will install 2 new maxvent in the windows each side of the table to make same thing of my old Scamp

Maxvent and Maxfan are two great product !!!!

Thanks for your reply Yvon.

It will be a couple of weeks before I have a chance to look at the AC unit in my trailer. I'm hoping that an exhaust fan is integrated into the AC. If not, then I'll probably install a MaxxFan in the spring.

BTW, I spoke with MaxxFan people today about this window vent. The engineer suggested that we locate the WindowMaxx Vent as far away from the roof mounted power fan as possible. The reason being you want the exhaust to draw the air through the trailer before exits through the roof vent.

In my trailer, I plan to install one vent in the galley window (which is located a little forward of the AC), and the second vent in one of the back windows. The engineer felt that this would give me fairly efficient air flow when using the roof exhaust fan.

Did your Bigfoot have AC when you bought it?

I must say, I just do not understand why Bigfoot did not automatically include a roof vent in their trailers.

Thanks

Old 01-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Does the Window Maxx only allow you to open the window 4 inches? Or, have I read the installation information incorrectly?

Having a senior moment here.

Without an air conditioner in our unit I want all the open window I can get, but would really like the Window Maxx otherwise.
Good question!

I took your question to the WindowMaxx people today. Their engineer told me that you can open the window all the way when the Vent is installed. It has a pin that you engage to keep the window open 1-4 inches. If you want to open the window completely you can just pull out the pin.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #10

Yes , you can open window at full open position but not in rainy day , just open 4 inch in the rain!!!

More open , water come inside
Yvon Chayer
Old 01-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #11

My Bigfoot have two roof vent , one in the center of the trailer and othe one in the bathroom , there are two standard 14' vent , i put a maxfan in the center roof an ad a maxair cover on the bathroom vent

I don't have roof ac in my Bigfoot i have a small wondow ac thati install temporarily in a window when i need
Yvon Chayer
Old 01-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #12

The window opens about four inches with the pin in place on the rail.... you can open the window all the way if you want but what a pain in ars to get that window back under the leading edge flap of the WindowMaxx.
Wish i could find the picture i have of it
Joe
Old 01-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #13

Quote:
My Bigfoot have two roof vent , one in the center of the trailer and othe one in the bathroom , there are two standard 14' vent , i put a maxfan in the center roof an ad a maxair cover on the bathroom vent

I don't have roof ac in my Bigfoot i have a small wondow ac thati install temporarily in a window when i need
Yvon Chayer

OK, my Bigfoot has a vent in the bathroom, but not in the main cabin. As I posted, I'm hoping that the AC unit also has an exhaust vent.

Thanks for the information!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #14

Quote:
The window opens about four inches with the pin in place on the rail.... you can open the window all the way if you want but what a pain in ars to get that window back under the leading edge flap of the WindowMaxx.
Wish i could find the picture i have of it
Joe

That's not good!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #15

that seal has to be there to keep water when driving from getting thru..... the four inches i get on each side window works good with the fantastic fan up top..... you can always trim that rubber edge back some which i think would work when you want to fully open it but in the stock position it is great for keeping rain out.
Joe
Old 01-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #16

Quote:
that seal has to be there to keep water when driving from getting thru..... the four inches i get on each side window works good with the fantastic fan up top..... you can always trim that rubber edge back some which i think would work when you want to fully open it but in the stock position it is great for keeping rain out.
Joe

I'm getting this product!

But ... I do believe that the MaxxVent engineer I spoke with told me that the WindowMaxxVent works great with a roof exhaust fan. What's important is the location of the vent with regards to the roof fan.

So, to answer Nancy's concern: I don't think you would really need to completely open any window that has this vent.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #17

Thumbs up

Hi Everyone with MaxiWindow vents:

I did purchase a couple of MaxAir Window Vents. We've been waiting for dry weather to install them.

I do have 2 questions:

Question 1: Did you have any problems/hesitation drilling holes (for rivets) into the fiberglass around the window frames during installation?

The reason I am asking is my husband was very worried about drilling holes. I saw on the Casita site that someone used VHB tape. I was wondering if any of you considered such an alternative to rivets, or if we should feel free to "drill away".

Question 2: Am I correct in assuming that I can completely close and latch the windows when underway? I would not want passing trucks to spray water sideways and into the trailer cabin as we travel along on a rainy highway.

Thanks for your replies.

JMP

Old 02-08-2010, 12:39 AM   #18

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
The window frames on my Scamp are metal and I had no hesitation about drilling holes for the Window Maxx's. Just don't drill entirely all the way through into the cabin of the trailer. All you are doing is attaching the plastic louvres to the frame. Mine came with several different lengths of bushings/spacers that the screws go through. You simply have to use the ones that snug the Window Maxx against the frame. Not too tight as you could crack them. It's possible that you might have to use different length screws than what came with the product. All windows are a little different.

Here's a caution. It's the middle piece that you have to cut to length. These Window Maxx's are made to fit very large windows so you have to cut the middle piece to size. Just be careful to do one window at a time as you'll be inverting the opposing side. You don't want to make a mistake in the cutting.

Yes, of course you can close your window. The Window Maxx doesn't inhibit normal operation of the window. It simply allows the covered portion of the window to be opened up to 4 inches without rain coming in. And, the window may be opening in it's entirety if you choose. I always close and latch my windows while traveling.

There's no real need for a vent fan unless you want one. I have one but most of the time I just have the windows cracked without the fan operating. If it were raining rain would come in the vent fan. I don't have a Maxx Air cover over my vent fan, nor do I want one. I wouldn't be able to put my Scamp in the garage.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Jane, I just noticed this thread or I would have commented sooner. Several years ago I bought a '97 Bigfoot trailer that had come from the factory without an air conditioner. When I decided to add one, the roof vent was the only logical place to put it. As it turned out, the trailer had 110 wiring up into the adjacent cabinet, so the roof opening was intended as either a roof vent or air conditioner opening as per customer preference. If the trailer had been ordered with air conditioner, then a second opening would have been cut for a roof vent. I considered cutting into the roof to add a vent, never did it. Instead, I put a Fantastic Fan in the bathroom roof vent to move air through the trailer when needed. I put a Maxxair II vent cover over that vent to keep out rain. It worked just fine.

My current Bigfoot does have both air conditioner and a roof vent in the cabin area. I have covered that vent and the bathroom vent with Maxxair II covers with excellent results. I also have a Fantastic Fan in both vents. The Maxxair II covers move plenty of air but have never let in water. The reason I went with Maxxair II is because they will fit over the bathroom roof vents in Bigfoots in spite of the holding tank vent pipes being very close to the roof opening.

I have often thought it would be great to have at least one window with a rain cover, too. I will probably pursue that next. During wet weather, you need ventilation more than ever.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #20

Thank you so much for your post! It looks like you have answers to some future MODs for my Bigfoot:

Quote:
..... '97 Bigfoot trailer that had come from the factory without an air conditioner. .... As it turned out, the trailer had 110 wiring up into the adjacent cabinet, so the roof opening was intended as either a roof vent or air conditioner opening as per customer preference. If the trailer had been ordered with air conditioner, then a second opening would have been cut for a roof vent. I considered cutting into the roof to add a vent, never did it.

What model/size was your '97 Bigfoot? Where would you cut into the roof to add a vent: in front of the air conditioner, or behind?

Where is the roof vent located in the cabin area of your current Bigfoot?

Can you send me a drawing?

Regarding the fantastic fan: Even though it's a little more expensive, I'm thinking of eventually installing a Maxxair fan and vent in the Bathroom - I like dealing with the company, and it seems like the complete system is a little more efficient.

I need to hit the road with the trailer to see what sorts of changes will provide additional comfort. If I really enjoy my Bigfoot journeys, I will begin to add some more Mods. Based on my experience of sitting it other peoples trailers, I do think that I would appreciate a fan in the main cabin.

Regarding the Maxxair Window Vents: I haven't had an opportunity to test out the vents, but they are fairly inexpensive and easy to install. Everyone I know who has installed this product really likes it.

I am looking forward to getting a better understanding of where to install/wire a fan vent in the cabin.

JMP

Tags
bigfoot