Windows don't stay closed. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2021, 07:51 AM   #1

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Windows don't stay closed.

2006 Scamp 19 - the sliding windows will not stay locked when traveling down the highway. They are locked when departing, but end up unlocked and partly open at arrival. Is there any kind of adjustment? Or am I looking at new windows all the way around?
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:09 AM   #2

Name: Barry
Trailer: 1989 BIGFOOT 17' - FOR SALE
British Columbia
Registry
Window don't stay closed...

I had the same problem... windows opening while in motion. I solved it by attaching a small / thin piece of ferrous metal to the frame of the aluminum window... behind where the sliding window sits when in the closed position. Make sure that the thickness does not interfere with the opening of the window.

This small (width of the exposed frame... by ~ 3/4 inch) is a "contact point" for a small magnet that we attach on moving days, are easily removed and stored when setup. Hope this helps. Cheers

Example of magnets used
https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Magn...dDbGljaz10cnVl
BMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:10 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Two ideas. One, I found pulling back on the window after it is latched to put pressure on the latch solved the problem for me. Two, if that doesn’t work or you want something a bit more secure for rough roads, put a small bulldog clip on the window track next to the sliding panel.

It’s a common issue that has come up before with many simple fixes. Definitely no need to buy new windows.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:31 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
2006 Scamp 19 - the sliding windows will not stay locked when traveling down the highway. They are locked when departing, but end up unlocked and partly open at arrival. Is there any kind of adjustment? Or am I looking at new windows all the way around?
Cut a dowel rod that will fit into the track so the window cannot move. Easily removed when you want to open the window. Also gives more security against break-ins. This is how we solved the problem in our Casita.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:37 PM   #5

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Thanks guys. All seem to be good solutions!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:54 PM   #6

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
My first boondocking ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
I went to Six mile lake dispersed camping on the way home from Backus. I left the back window open to let the "NEW" smell out. I never thought about the sand from the dirt roads coming in the rear screen. It was like sleeping on the beach that night.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:09 PM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I had that problem as well, but it went away after I took the rubber extrusion tracks out and washed tons of mud out of them. That increased the friction between the glass and the track surface. The tracks that the glass slides in are rubber extrusions with "fuzzy" surface where the glass fits. If you open the windows part way, you can work the tracks out carefully. If the windows sound like fingernails on a chalkboard when you open or close them, there is grit and dirt in those tracks. Good luck.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows