Windows in warped frame - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2021, 06:01 PM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: 86 Burro
WA
Windows in warped frame

We're working to restore a burro and found the two shell frame components are misaligned. The result is streetside and curbside mounting flanges don't align. I'm concerned that putting new glass across the opening may stress and break it. Has anyone dealt with this type of issue? I tried a forum search, but didn't see anything.
Jim K in Spokane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:19 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Post some pics so we know exactly what you mean

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:05 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
This sounds like a kit build issue. Some Burros were sold as DIY kits, and I’ve heard of such misalignment issues before.

I assume it’s either the front or back window, and yes, it would help to see what type of window we’re talking about and how bad the misalignment is.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:15 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Burro has a two piece inner shell, same as the Uhaul that we owned. I first took it as the inner and outer shells were misaligned at the side windows, but it could be the front and rear windows. That needs to be clarified. I doubt the unfinished kit versions were sold without the inner shell fiberglassed in place. Possibly the inner shell is loose, or was misaligned from day one. I'm not sure if all the windows are the clamp ring type, side windows may not be. Photos will help.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:40 AM   #5

WA
Photos

Thanks for the follow-up, the issue is with front and back window frame. Because of the two-part frame, there is a twist in the square opening. Pictures attached, but it's subtle enough that it may not show in a photo. The streetside top corner is 1/2 inch further out of plumb than the curbside. My concern is a rigid rectangle of glass may not flex to match that shape. Currently the 3-piece plexiglass setup allows for several flex points.
Attached Thumbnails
20210316_092549.jpg   20210316_092539.jpg  

Old 03-16-2021, 03:32 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I've had windows broken by hail, happens in the backcountry of the foothills of the Rockies. I always replace with plexiglass (Lexan). It is pretty much unbreakable and can flex so if you can't correct the misalignment this may work for you.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:17 AM   #7

WA
Thanks Mike, I may stay with a non glass type window. The current setup allows a draft though the pane connections, and I think the twist is part of the issue. I've been thinking of a single pane to help keep it sealed. If I need air in the summer, I can always open the side windows.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:03 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Warped Window Hole

I once drove a company car, a station wagon, which had a rear window that flexed a bit when it closed. The rubber seat was about 1/2 inch lower on the right as compared to the left. It eventually shattered. I vote for Lexan!
TomE11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:10 PM   #9

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
I think I'd lean towards at least trying acrylic/plexiglass over Lexan/polycarbonate. A bit cheaper and more scratch-resistant, and hopefully the extra impact resistance of polycarbonate's not needed in this case.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows