windows leak weatherstripping source? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2016, 06:12 PM   #1

Name: Anne
Trailer: U Haul
Colorado
windows leak weatherstripping source?

I have a 1985 U Haul trailer. The windows leak. The fuzzy weather stripping around these windows has rotted out. It is "u-shaped" in profile. I cannot seem to find replacement material. Ideas? I would consider "work around" alternatives.
AnneWhitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:13 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Lots of info and parts sources on the Uhaul Facebook group. Look in the "files" section there. Uhaul windows are typical leakers but they can be rebuilt.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #3

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Parts info is in the files section here but is 1 update older

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:51 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Not sure exactly which felt seal the Uhaul used. However if you don't get a link then you need the following information to find a replacement.

Width and depth of the track it fits into
thickness of the window glass
of course you need to know how many feet of it you need

and you need the right keywords....
"glass run channel" You can add the word "felted" to that keyword search but nowadays there are also all silicone versions of that seal which I suspect is the better way to go versus the older felted styles that let water into the channel since they don't seal as tightly against the glass due to their fuzzy nature.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:53 AM   #5

New York
Uhaul side windows, and the door window, are mounted in a rubber weatherstrip that has a lock strip to tighten it against the shell and window frame. A couple years ago some New old stock (NOS) Uhaul windows were available. Which weatherstrip to use is a debatable topic. Some people had leaks after installing the new windows with new weatherstrip. Leaking side windows was a problem way back when these trailers were in Uhaul's rental fleet, and their solution, which you can find in the repair manual, was to use some caulk under the rubber weatherstrip. I installed one of those NOS windows and it does not leak. Installed two for another Uhaul owner and was told they do not leak. Best solution though is to find a clamp ring type window that can be made to fit. I made modifications on our Uhaul to use a Scamp side jalousie window and a rear window.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:12 AM   #6

Name: Anne
Trailer: U Haul
Colorado
Smile window leaks

Thank you so much, K. Corbin and Mary and Bob! I plan to work on the trailer tomorrow. This gives me direction and good advice!
AnneWhitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #7

New York
Anne, did you see the reply on the Uhaul parts exchange Facebook page?

Tags
windows