Windows leaking? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #1

Name: Willis
Trailer: Beachcomber B15
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
Windows leaking?

So I was working in my trailer as it was raining out. My windows have been completely rebuilt, with all new felt sliders. The rain was coming down pretty good outside, and I noticed a trail of water running down the inner wall. No way! I thought, fresh butyl, then a bead of sealant around the whole thing, a leak should be impossible. So I went outside to inspect. All sealing points were fine, but the felt slider was full of water. Now I notice that the sliding half of the window is sitting in the felt. The water that hits this half of the window, runs down the glass, and into the felt slider. The felt then fills up, the drain holes at the bottom of the windows are clear, and I would assume, should drain out said water. In this case the rain was filling the felt slider faster than it could drain, and the excess water was coming inside. Is this a normal issue? This seems unacceptable to me. The trailer is jacked up as I was doing wheel bearings, it is by no means level, and it's the high side windows that are leaking. Will this not happen when level?
Old 07-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The felt slider needs to have holes cut into it that match with the drain holes in the aluminum track. It is possible to have problems when not level, but be are OK when level. I drilled some additional drain holes in the corners of my UHaul to address this possibility
Old 07-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #3

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
That makes complete Sense! Thanks! I did not cut out the felt. One more thing on my list!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by willisworms View Post
That makes complete Sense! Thanks! I did not cut out the felt. One more thing on my list!
Don't feel bad- it is a common mistake. I marked the felt by reaching through the drain hole, then pulled up the felt so I could access it fully. Then I cut holes with an Exacto knife.

Attached Images

Old 07-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #5

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
Thanks again for the heads up, slots are now cut in the felt.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #6

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Anyone ever add new drain holes to the bottom of the windows? My Scamp of course has one on each end of the bottom track. Looks like on the larger windows like the rear one it would have more that just two; just for heavy rain safety. IMO

Tags
windows