Windows, windows, windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #1

Name: Matt
Trailer: Boler 1700
Alberta
Windows, windows, windows

Hi
I need to replace the front window of my 1973 13' Boler. I have read numerous threads on the topic and it seems quite do-able. I went to a local glass shop to buy the plexi and lock strip and the manager was adament that plexiglass would fall out, yellow within a year and scratch if ever wiped clean. In addition I was quoted $5.00 a foot for lock strip and $75.00 for the tool. Has anyone ever experienced any of these issues when using plexiglass and secondly does anyone know any good suppliers in Calgary AB. Thanks
Matt4483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Matt, welcome to FiberglassRV... we're glad you're here. IMHO... Do not take your trailer to that local glass shop, they obviously don't know a whole lot.

The plexi in the front (and back) of my 24 year old Scamp is original. Yes, it has a few scratches (of my doing), but isn't yellow and has never fallen out. You can get the tool for about $15 on Amazon. Scamp sells both the gasket and lock strip but you may find it cheaper closer to home and won't pay S&H.

Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #3

Alberta
Hi Donna Thanks for the input I will check out Amazon and get going with this.

So the back window looks to have been replaced quite recently (ive only had the trailer for a month) but i notice during a recent rain that there is a bit of water seeping from the bottom corner of the window, I was wondering if I should remove the rubber lock strip and caulk it or if anyone has a better solution of suggestions
Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #4

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4483 View Post
Hi Donna Thanks for the input I will check out Amazon and get going with this.

So the back window looks to have been replaced quite recently (ive only had the trailer for a month) but i notice during a recent rain that there is a bit of water seeping from the bottom corner of the window, I was wondering if I should remove the rubber lock strip and caulk it or if anyone has a better solution of suggestions
Hey Matt. I've already talked to Speedy Auto Glass and I'm going there tomorow to pick up the seal which already has the lockstrip attached. They quoted me 1.75 a foot. but thats Winnipeg. If you have a Speedy in Calgary then maybe you can pick the same thing up there. Because the lockstrip is attached I might be able to get away with using a butter knife but I'm not too sure on that. Never done a window before so I'll talk to the guys at the shop and find out. On another thread someone asked if I could get a part no. so I can let you know too if you'd like. As for caulking, I tried that and it looks like garbage but I'm not a caulker.
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #5

Alberta
Thanks Brian, we do have Speedy Auto Glass here so I will go check in out. I am skeptical about caulking it for the very reason you stated, just not sure how else to fix the problem????
Old 04-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #6

Manitoba
If the seal has never been replaced before then it would be almost 40 years old and bound to start leaking somewhere. So just changing the seal should do the trick, notice I said "should" haha. I'm still fairly new to this too. Google "replacing windows of a boler" and you should get a link to a step by step video on how to replace the window by Kevin. He posts alot of vidoes.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #7

Alberta
Sounds good, i have watched the video and its seems simple enough, famous last words
Old 04-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #8

Manitoba
You mentioned Calgary. If all goes well I'll be taking my boler that way in May. I have friends in Pincher Creek that go camping every May long. Somewhere around Beaver Mines I think.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Matt
Never use an ammonia base window cleaner on plexiglass like normal Windex or 409. Just search the web for ammonia and plexiglass to get details. Also never dry clean the window. I think Windex makes a non-ammonia cleaner but it is hard to find, I think it is green.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #10

Manitoba
Hi Matt
The part number for the seal from Speedy Auto Glass is 6200140. Let me know how it goes.

Brian
Old 04-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #11

Alberta
Thanks for the tip about ammonia Eddie, wouldnt want to wreck it as soon as i finished.

Hey Brian let me know how Beaver Mines is, our trailer wont be ready to go for a while yet but most of our camping in the past has been in central BC so definitely looking for good places in AB to start checking out, and thanks for the part number, im gonna round up the parts this weekend
Old 04-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
As far as scratches go... now, I have no personal knowledge if this works... but Alf posted Brasso works to gently remove surface scratches on plexiglass. If the window is in really bad shape, it may be worth trying before automatically spending the money to replace.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #13

Manitoba
Thanks for the inside scoop on the Brasso Donna, I'll have to try that.

Matt, The campground is Castle River Bridge Campground. Just past Beaver Mines. Its always a blast. My buddies usually take their monster 4x4's and go mudbogging down the old logging roads in the area. We dont usually camp in the sites, we mostly camp across the road in a little open area. More room to park the trucks, but the sites from what I can remember are really nice. They have a few pics online if you google the campground. I'd say about 2.5 hrs or so from Calgary. You're pretty much in the mountains but I'm from Winnipeg so a speed bump is a mountain to me. haha.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #14

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Registry
Boler Window Seal and Cleaning Plexiglass

I replaced my front and back window rubber with the seal and lockstrip from Scamp. I have a bit left over that could be used to confirm the dimensions with the glass shop before you order (I am in Calgary). I found the folks at Crystal Glass on Centre Street were very helpful when I was working on my trailer. A tool is available for about $20 and you should be able to order one through the glass shop. Here is a link to one.

Windshield Lockstrip Tool : All-Glass Parts

I was thinking of replacing my original plexiglass (1975 Boler) due to surface scratches but I tried cleaning and buffing first with Meguiar's Plastx Cleaner Polish from Canadian Tire. It did such a good job that I just kept the old windows and it is the only thing I clean them with.

Meguiar's® Plastx Cleaner Polish | Canadian Tire
Randy D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #15

Name: Ken
Trailer: 84BigFoot 5th 2002 travelaire 5th wheel
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
As far as scratches go... now, I have no personal knowledge if this works... but Alf posted Brasso works to gently remove surface scratches on plexiglass. If the window is in really bad shape, it may be worth trying before automatically spending the money to replace.

Pledge furniture polish works good for surface scratches on plexi
Ken Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Plexiglass and windows

You have a resource right there in Calgary:

Compact lightweight fiberglass Outback travel trailers Calgary | Trillium Trailers

They should be able to at least give you some good advice...

If you caulk, do not use the dreaded silicone!

Good luck.

Oh, the second thought, they sell kits to restore headlight lenses. Maybe one of them would work. I have seen them for as little as $10.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #17

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
A good resource for FGRV owners in Calgary is Joe Thoen at International RV . He also stocks most parts for the Trilliums and has the Outback FG trailer plant. They are located at 285145 Wrangler Way SE, Calgary and Phone # is 403-272-3929 Sorry Roger I didn't see your post. Great minds think alike.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #18

Alberta
I just want to say thanks for all the responses and input. Im working shift work so Im a little slow to respond. Im going to make some calls and see if i can get it done this weekend. Randy I might take you up on the test piece of rubber you've got but I will contact a couple of the places here in Calgary first and see what happens. Thanks again to everyone for all the help
Old 02-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #19

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
I realize this is an old thread. But I did a search, read a few threads and decided to post on this one instead of starting a new one.

I talked to someone I know tonight. He works in a plexiglass factory. We talked about my Boler's front and back windows. The guy's factory does interior stuff, decorations and office supplies. I could buy plexiglass from where he works, but, without the UV protection, I'm not sure how long it would last. When I told him that I managed to take out my two windows without breaking them, he suggested that I tried buffing them. He uses a buffer and some kind of animal fat at work () and he said it might be worth trying some compound or something.

My old windows have those little very bright horizontal lines in them. They look like they are deep and I'm not sure they'll go away. What do you guys think? I do have some Brasso and Pledge (and I'm sure I can find some sort of animal fat!) so I think I'll try. But I'm still interested in hearing from your experiences.

(Hmmm. Bacon! )
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:14 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
As I recall, there is a commercial product used in the aviation industry to restore plexi windows on small aircraft. You could search that.

Tags
boler, windows