wiring a switch for the frig fan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe / 2006 Tundra V8
Have lined up a weekend project to start off the summer camping season. A computer fan that blows 100cfm was purchased along with an illuminated 12v dc rocker switch with 3 poles. I don't know how to wire this up. I've located the 12v block for the frig in my Scamp, but don't have a clue how to connect the fan and switch to the 12v block. Any electronic whiz help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I plan to connect a fuse too. This will be my first attempt at electrical stuff, so basic info please. And I don't know how to read a schematic. Hope someone can get me started.
Brenda Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 17 ft Boler
Quote:
Have lined up a weekend project to start off the summer camping season. A computer fan that blows 100cfm was purchased along with an illuminated 12v dc rocker switch with 3 poles. I don't know how to wire this up. I've located the 12v block for the frig in my Scamp, but don't have a clue how to connect the fan and switch to the 12v block. Any electronic whiz help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I plan to connect a fuse too. This will be my first attempt at electrical stuff, so basic info please. And I don't know how to read a schematic. Hope someone can get me started.
Hi There;
I was going to that very thing last year and then came across a battery powered fridge fan its very small and the battery lasted us last summer about 14 days camping in total ,Here is a link to one type http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-refr...gerator-fan.htm mine was about $20.00 Can. Something to consider!
Happy Camping ; Gord
Gord Plowright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I just did this on our trailer. It went something like this: Starting at the fridge (+) connection, then comes the switch, then the fan (+) (make sure you don't reverse polarity for the fan), then hook up the fan (-) back to the fridge (-) connection. In my case I didn't add a fuse.

But to make things a bit more complicated, I found the basic computer fan to be a bit too noisy for my taste, so I daisy-chained two of them so they would each run at half-speed (connected in series).
Old 07-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
negative wire goes from fridge block directly to fan. Positive wire goes from fridge block to switch, from switch to fan.
if fan runs backwards, reverse the connections at the fan.
A fuse inline (series) on the hot side might be a good idea, 2 amp should be fine.
The fuse would be inserted between the switch and the fan.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
A computer fan that blows 100cfm was purchased along with [b]an illuminated 12v dc rocker switch with 3 poles.

I've located the 12v block for the frig in my Scamp, but don't have a clue how to connect the fan and switch to the 12v block.

Oh, I plan to connect a fuse too.
Daniel and Joe forgot about your switch having [b]3 poles.

First: look closely at the switch and try to see any markings next to the 3 poles. one should be (power), one should be (ACC), and one should be (ground).

Now look at the 12v block for the frig. there should be two terminals with two wires: one white (ground) and one red (+12v).

Now look at the computer fan. There will be two wires there: one black (ground) and one red (+12v)

If you haven't already done so, disconnect your battery.
Make sure the trailer's 110 volt power cord is unplugged also.

Go to the frig's 12v block and find the white (ground) wire. Connect a new white wire of the same size from that point to the switch's ([b]ground) terminal. Then connect another white wire from the switch's same ([b]ground) terminal to the fan's [b]BLACK wire.

Go to the frig's 12v block and find the red (+12v) wire. Connect a new red wire of the same size from that point to one side of your in-line fuse holder. Connect another red wire from the other side of the in-line fuse holder to the switch's ([b]power) terminal. Connect a third red wire from the switch's ([b]ACC) terminal to the fan's RED wire.

Make sure the new switch is off.

Install a fuse into the fuse holder. Reconnect the trailer's battery.

Throw the switch to the on position. The switch should light and the fan should run.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:48 AM   #6

Thanks everyone!!! I'm starting the project tomorrow morning. Maybe the brews will stay cold now
Old 07-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #7

Wink

Quote:
Daniel and Joe forgot about your switch having [b]3 poles.

First: look closely at the switch and try to see any markings next to the 3 poles. one should be (power), one should be (ACC), and one should be (ground).

Now look at the 12v block for the frig. there should be two terminals with two wires: one white (ground) and one red (+12v).

Now look at the computer fan. There will be two wires there: one black (ground) and one red (+12v)

If you haven't already done so, disconnect your battery.
Make sure the trailer's 110 volt power cord is unplugged also.

Go to the frig's 12v block and find the white (ground) wire. Connect a new white wire of the same size from that point to the switch's ([b]ground) terminal. Then connect another white wire from the switch's same ([b]ground) terminal to the fan's [b]BLACK wire.

Go to the frig's 12v block and find the red (+12v) wire. Connect a new red wire of the same size from that point to one side of your in-line fuse holder. Connect another red wire from the other side of the in-line fuse holder to the switch's ([b]power) terminal. Connect a third red wire from the switch's ([b]ACC) terminal to the fan's RED wire.

Make sure the new switch is off.

Install a fuse into the fuse holder. Reconnect the trailer's battery.

Throw the switch to the on position. The switch should light and the fan should run.
Thanks so much Frederick!!!!!