Wiring Backup Camera - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2016, 07:43 AM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Wiring Backup Camera

I have just ordered a Pioneer A/V deck for our Honda Ridgeline which we use to pull our Bigfoot. I am going to install it myself and also wire in a backup camera on the Honda.

I am thinking that I would also like to put a backup camera on the Bigfoot and switch to that camera when I hook up the trailer. I'm a little uncertain about how I am going to switch over cameras and wondering if anyone has suggestions.

Also I am wondering if there is a way to incorporate the camera wiring into the 7-pin trailer connector...that would still leave the need to somehow switch over.

I haven't thought this through completely, mainly because I don't have the parts in my hands yet, but it would be nice to get some ideas beforehand. Thanks for any!
threepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:42 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
For my particular application I ordered two wireless blue tooth AV adapters ( a pair) and avoided the hassle of having to run wires on my camper. Not a total solution for you but perhaps part of the equation.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #3

Alberta
Thanks, I hadn't considered Bluetooth and I will look into that. I am definitely (I think) going with the hard wired on the truck but I will see if I can incorporate wireless into the trailer.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I used one in the back of my hatch door and wired it to my backup camera and rear light to trigger it.

New 2 4G for Car Backup Camera and Monitor Wireless Video Transmitter Receiver | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
s-l1600.jpg  
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #5

Alberta
Thank you, that looks great and inexpensive too!
Old 05-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

Name: Arthur
Trailer: Jayco
Queensland
I installed a wireless camera on my Ford Ranger and was not happy with it so hard wired it, the screen that was supplied with it clipped on to the rear view mirror and has provision to select AV1 or AV2 so I hard wired the Ranger for AV1 and hard wired the van for AV2 and connected it to the ute using a separate cable with a microphone in line locking mike socket. with no van the screen is in AV1 with the van connected the screen is in AV2,works fine.
e30-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #7

Alberta
Like you I will definitely hard wire the camera in the Ridgeline, but I think I might try the wireless device for the trailer along with a a/v switch that another member suggested to me. Not very expensive and if the video feed ends up not being great, I can always try to hard wire the trailer too.

Thanks for the suggestions!