Wiring light for license plate holder - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #1

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Wiring light for license plate holder

We are replacing the license plate holder on our "new" 2004 Casita 17 LD. We got the old holder off OK, but are having trouble figuring out how to wire the light. The wires on the old light are very short on the outside and are under the ratfur on the inside. We can't for the life of us find a place where those wires come out from under the carpet on the inside.

Do we need to solder the old wires on the outside to the new ones? Can't figure any other way other than to rip the whole inside of the camper apart...Ideas?
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I replaced the right rear marker light on our Casita SD. Same problem, couldn't pull out any wire, it's glued under the carpet. You'll have to extend the wires if at all possible, or tap into another light if you can get at those wires
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
If you are switching to LED make sure you get the polarity correct. Unlike an incandescent LED needs pos to pos and neg to neg or they won't work.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:53 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeleept View Post
Do we need to solder the old wires on the outside to the new ones? Can't figure any other way other than to rip the whole inside of the camper apart...Ideas?
Hi Marge, I had the same problem replacing the marker lights. Soldering short jumpers like that is a PITA but can be done. But if you can't get enough out by pulling it's not a big deal to pull the bench out, cut the carpet to get at the wires, make a clean job of soldering and heat shrinking the joints. I pulled the bench over the water tank in my SD to install a deck plate and was surprised at how easy it was, maybe 10 minutes. Removing the street side will be different as the converter is mounted there. But before pulling a bench, you may be able to get at the wires you're looking for by removing the angled cover between the benches that cover the water and house wiring. Sure looks close to the wire entry on mine. If you run an ice pick through from the outside you'll find the wires .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #5

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
But before pulling a bench, you may be able to get at the wires you're looking for by removing the angled cover between the benches that cover the water and house wiring. Sure looks close to the wire entry on mine. If you run an ice pick through from the outside you'll find the wires .
Thanks, Dave,

We did find the place where the wires come through and they are quite a bit above the angled cover board. In fact, they are almost at the top of the bench. I like the idea that the bench is easy to pull and that we can find the wires by cutting a bit of the carpet. Will give that a try.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I put a piece of adhesive shrink tube on the pigtail of the new light and solder the wire together. Then slide the shrink tube over the wire and shrink it with a BBQ lighter.

Harbor freight has a really good adhesive lined shrink tube.

https://www.harborfreight.com/42-pie...ing-67598.html
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #7

Oregon
We ended up calling Casita to see what they had to say and they recommended using a butt connector and working exclusively from the outside of the trailer. They said we "should" be able to pull more wire out from the inside, but I'm tellin' ya, it's tight! But we've decided to try the solder with shrink tube method before ripping apart the interior, as the bench is on the street side and looks tricky to remove. Wish us luck! And thanks for the replies!
Old 04-10-2018, 09:28 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Marge, I was able to get enough wire out for slicing/soldering jumpers from the outside. I used a couple different tools from the outside. A small 90* angled pick to get between the carpet and shell to push the carpet back. When I had some carpet separation from the shell I used a brake adjustment tool as it's stronger with more length. Worked for me but maybe I just got lucky with how they ran the wires and left enough slack for me to pull some out.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, light