Wiring the Mach Mini - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2021, 10:07 AM   #1

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
Wiring the Mach Mini

Good morning. I managed to pick up a very nice used Coleman Mach Mini/Mini Mach (whatever!?) ac unit and am in the process of installing it in my B19. Finally looks like enough consecutive clear days to take the chance of having a 14x14 hole in the roof! Pulled the old vent yesterday and today I'm removing all (or most) of the 30 yr old Dicor - hard as stone.

Does anyone have a manual, or wiring diagram - if you have one of these units - or knows exactly how the installation wiring works? This unit does have the heat strip, so I am wondering if it has something to do with that? I checked the document centre and only Dometic information there.

Generally speaking, you go B/B, W/W & G/G or ground wire to green screw. Mine has 2 white wires in the "junction box" that appear to have been marretted together with the neutral wire in the main line from the breaker panel. I'm actually fairly certain that is how it went, but without having a wiring diagram, I just want to be sure before I wire everything up this afternoon - hate to fry a perfectly good Mini!

I've included a picture of what I am looking at in my ceiling assembly. Thanks for any and all help. Going to be 35C here by the end of the week, and it would be nice to have the ac inside the trailer while I finish up some jobs in there
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4160.jpg  
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
What is the specific model number of your air conditioner?

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:12 AM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
What is the specific model number of your air conditioner?

--Dan Meyer
Hi Dan. I can't tell. All I know is that it is a "mini". Which one, I don't know yet. The data plate on the side of the housing is "worn" - paint broken down over the years and I can't read it. I'm going to try to see if I can raise what ever may be left of the lettering (with a marker and wipe-off) and get an actual model number.

I did manage to find the wiring diagram(s) for this unit. I will compare the existing wiring with the diagrams and see if I can sort out exactly what I have

Follow-up.... Well it seems that there is a sticker on the inside (just look straight UP through the hole, Deb!!) It's a 6727D-709. So no heater package, and no orange wire (per the diagrams, that would indicate a heater circuit). The white wires would be connected together to the white neutral on the main wire from the box.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:58 PM   #4

British Columbia
Well it's in and runs like a top!!! 29C outside in the shade, 32C inside, and on low cool with the thermostat on warmest setting, it dropped the temperature 2 degrees in 8 minutes. Nice and quiet. I went next door to my neighbours and on my way back I had to listen for it - thought it had popped the breaker! I have the fridge on LP and there's nothing else on 120V. Tomorrow I'll pull out the Honda 2000 and see how it does on the little generator.

Just have to clean up the shrouds, put them on and then it's done. That was the biggest of my projects I think. But there are still a few more. Always a few more.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:13 AM   #5

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Casita
California
Talking

Good Job!
Sounds as if that project was high on the list
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:27 AM   #6

Name: Christine
Trailer: Escape
California
That’s great. How did you get the unit up onto the roof?
Chris94901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:04 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCop View Post
Good Job!
Sounds as if that project was high on the list
It was. I have 2 little dogs that I travel with, and southern Ontario (visiting family) in the summer is not a possibility without ac. Humidity is a killer. Plus I'm getting too old to spend most of my trip suffering in the heat.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:33 AM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris94901 View Post
That’s great. How did you get the unit up onto the roof?
We used a ladder as a ramp. I had a nice solid cardboard shipping box from my new dishwasher. It was the perfect size. Opened up one side, set the ac in it (on 4x4's to protect the aluminum cowling), wrapped it up tight with ratchet straps, and my neighbour pushed while I pulled the thing up the ladder. Once it was up there it was very easy to maneuver around on the cardboard. It went pretty smoothly, surprisingly.

Actually, given all of the many potential problems I could have encountered, the entire process went well, especially since I was doing the whole thing myself. The only help I had, was getting it up on the roof (and a neighbour - retired electrician - standing by to pull me out of the trailer if it all blew up in my face when I turned it on ). The old vent was screwed in, not riveted, and they were Robertson screws 🇨🇦, so the bit easily grabbed the screw heads, even if I couldn't get all of the old dicor out.

The only hiccup was the old antenna mount. It was about 1.5" too close to the end of the ac for me to move into position. So I finally had an excuse to remove it. There hadn't been an antenna up there in years. Fairly easy to take out. Most of the dicor around it was still fairly malleable. Took the whole thing right down to the roof. Was left with about 10 little screw holes and 2 half-inch holes in the centre. Cleaned the gel coat up well, and covered it all with eternabond. One day when I'm in the mood, I'll go up and replace that with some epoxy and make it a little neater.... or not. It is the roof after all. I needed easy, quick, and reliable at this point, and I had the eternabond. If I was willing to leave that ugly antenna mount up there, just because it wasn't leaking, I think I can happily live with a few strips of eternabond tape.

A total of 3 days, working about 3-4 hours a day with lots of short water breaks - too hot up there right now. 29C in the shade, and there's no shade up there! So I'm patting myself on the back a bit (if you can't tell). Cleaned the shroud and the ceiling cowling last night and I'll pop those on this morning.