Writing on plexiglass window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #1

Name: Chris & Sarah
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Writing on plexiglass window

One of the PO was apparently trying to sell my Boler for $2500.00. I know this because they wrote the price on the front plexiglass window... I have no idea what they used but I can't seem to get it off and I want to be very careful about what I use on it, to avoid any further damage. It's very faint, but in certain lights you can definitely see it.

Any ideas? I've tried Norwex cloths, and vinegar/water with paper towels. Also, there was incidental contract with the cat wash soap when I was washing the rest of the Boler.

Thanks for any and all ideas!
Sarah
ChriSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #2

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Try plexus. Plexus Plastic Cleaner
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #3

Manitoba
Is that website the only place to get it? A $45 shipping fee plus the cost of the product is a little too rich for my blood.

On that site they did mention that you could use it for eyeglasses. I wonder if eyeglass cleaning from the optometrist would work?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 07-02-2016, 04:48 PM   #4

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Is what you are seeing paint or whatever, or has the plex yellowed or hazed up where there was no writing?
Old 07-02-2016, 04:53 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Mcguiars makes plexi glass cleaner and polish and it is available in marine and auto parts stores here in the U.S.. Don't know if it will do the job but worth a try.

$2500 Canadian sounds like a really great price.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #6

Manitoba
No, it's not the window being yellowed, it's the numbers in sort of a cloudy, whitish situation.

And we actually got it for $1800 CDN.! 😃

Old 07-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #7

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChriSarah View Post
Is that website the only place to get it? A $45 shipping fee plus the cost of the product is a little too rich for my blood.

On that site they did mention that you could use it for eyeglasses. I wonder if eyeglass cleaning from the optometrist would work?

Motorcycle shops carry it I've been using it for years on my windshield and for my trailer. It even takes fine scratches out. You'll never use anything else after trying it amazing stuff.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:45 AM   #8

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
Cleaner

Olive Oil!
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #9

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
If it looks like the writing was done by a sharpie use some Deep Woods Off mosquito spray. We used to use that at work on everything from plexiglass to stainless steel and it worked better than anything else we tried.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:10 PM   #10

Name: Ray
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
Rubbing Alcohol

Try rubbing alcohol to remove the marks. It works well on nonporeous surfaces.
Ray R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Don't use any solvents on plexiglass. It always helps to know what NOT to use

Alcohol is a solvent even if rubbing alcohol is a diluted with water form of it. Depending on what they used for a marker you could end up driving the stain deeper into the plastic instead of removing it all. So do not use alcohol, it would work great on glass but not on plastic.

If they used a dye marker that was solvent based then the die might have penetrated into the surface in which case you will be well frustrated in any attempt to get rid of it. Lets hope it is just a bit of surface residue.

Do a search on Novus plastic polish kit.

If that does not do it then you have a choice of going with micron flexible grit polishing papers from 3M. You can work your way through those using finer and finer grits and then finish the job with the Novus plastic polish kit. The link to the micron papers is from a guitar makers site. I used that site because they have good prices and are reputable sellers. Other people sell this specialty polishing paper as well.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I bought a used snowmobile a couple years ago where the seller had written the price on the windshield. I think he used the type of marker that car resellers use to write on glass. Might be easy to remove on glass but wouldn't come off the plastic windshield (plexiglass?) of the sled. I got it off using some car wax or compound. In fact it needed a very soft abrasive, which is what the compound is. May be a Magic Eraser would do it, it is a soft abrasive, but could be too harsh, I would try it on a non-visible spot first. Actually on plastic anything I would try would be on a non-visible sport first. You never know if the plastic isn't gonna melt, scratch, discolor or whatever.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:16 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
You might try a white toothpaste like Colgate.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #14

Manitoba
Maybe that's what the PO used... The writing definitely isn't thin, like a Sharpie. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they used a bar of soap - that's the width of each number and it is sort of a whitish, cloudy colour.

So, things to try, Plexus, olive oil, toothpaste, Magic Eraser, Deep Woods Off!! Lots of suggestions! The neighbours are going to think I've gone crazy!!
Old 07-04-2016, 10:28 AM   #15

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Please let us know what , if anything works. I know olive oil is great on leather and if it works here, it would be good to know.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #16

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChriSarah View Post
Maybe that's what the PO used... The writing definitely isn't thin, like a Sharpie. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they used a bar of soap - that's the width of each number and it is sort of a whitish, cloudy colour.

So, things to try, Plexus, olive oil, toothpaste, Magic Eraser, Deep Woods Off!! Lots of suggestions! The neighbours are going to think I've gone crazy!!
They very likely used a "Window Marker", they are made for drawing decorations on glass windows. Easy to find at the stores. They do come in the color white as well as other colors. Here is a link for how to remove that stuff. http://www.crayola.com/faq/stain-rem...as-or-mirrors/

Don't use the Magic Eraser, it is too abrasive and can scratch the plexi. I use a Magic Eraser to remove heavy oxidation on fiberglass but if you rub too hard it will sand through a gel coat.

If after trying the recommended cleaning procedure you still have a problem....
Go to your local auto parts store and pick up one of the kits made for cleaning up plastic head light and tail light covers. It should do the trick without doing any harm and the leftover product will be useful for polishing up your tail lights so they shine brightly. Always good to get further use out of something you buy rather than just a one time deal where you don't use it all up.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
In last resort, add a couple zeros to the written price, then brag about the very expensive trailer you just purchased!
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:12 PM   #18

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
In last resort, add a couple zeros to the written price, then brag about the very expensive trailer you just purchased!
Ha, Ha! I like that last recommendation best!

When we were married, 100 years ago, "Just Married" was written on our back window with shaving cream. Seems innocent enough, but the window ended up finely etched so that in the San Francisco fog we could see the words clearly!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote