Yamaha iPower 2000 generator - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-06-2018, 11:33 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
The 2000 watt (peak) generators are not known for being able to start the typical 13,500 BTU rooftop AC units, but it seems they all will if an Easy-Start controller is installed. This has been discussed a lot.

Another point is the loss of generator power at altitude. Consider a typical 3% loss in power per 1000 ft elevation. If camping at 3000 ft elevation, the output at peak will be about 1,800 watts.

I really notice this with my Yamaha 2000.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #22

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Have you considered the Harbor Freight 3500 watt Predator inverter generator? It sure gets great reviews on YouTube as Harbor Freight seems to have seriously increased the quality. Its also really quiet and would handle your AC just fine. About $700.00 when you catch them on sale.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #23

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
Have you considered the Harbor Freight 3500 watt Predator inverter generator? It sure gets great reviews on YouTube as Harbor Freight seems to have seriously increased the quality. Its also really quiet and would handle your AC just fine. About $700.00 when you catch them on sale.
That's in a bigger class than what we've been discussing. At 100lb it might be a good choice if you have room to run it from the back of your pickup and never have to unload it. Otherwise it's more than I can haul around manually any more.
Sure would enjoy that extra capacity though.

BTW, my Escape came with a 1500W inverter and 2 6v golf cart batteries. Now I need the gennie a lot less because I can often get by just using the inverter for my coffee maker, microwave, etc., as long as I'm careful to space things out a bit to give my solar charger time to catch up. The gennie's mostly a backup for cloudy days or when I really need the AC.

Walt
Old 03-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #24

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
The possible problem is that anytime you need more power, it comes in a bigger size and is heavier. The Predator 3500 weighs about 100 lbs and the common weight for a 2000 watt generator is about 50 lbs depending on the manufacturer.

100 lbs can be intimidating to lift in and out of a pickup.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
darral somewhere in Europe we ran across a bunch of guys leveling out their grass airfield. do you guys do that?

just curious

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #26

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
It wouldn't be cheaper than the Harbor Freight Predator, on sale, but I notice these are designed to be easily linked to run in parallel, doubling the output.

For twice the $499, you could run both when necessary, but just one much of the time. With care, you might get more output, longer life, and greater fuel efficiency, for about what one Honda costs.

Also, way easier in the event of a divorce!
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #27

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
tom I guess I am on your side while I think it would be fun to have I just don't have a need for one I too am not arguing it aint worth it but we have never needed a/c.

we boondock mostly when we camp we get shade no utilities honestly what can a 13f rig use I have a/c but its never been turned on. by 9pm or so day has cooled down and things are pleasant.

we cant get over our tenting days the 13f scamper is heaven!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
The Westinghouse iGen2500 is $500 here. Says 11 left as of this moment...
https://www.kikimart.us/products/wes...RoCHpgQAvD_BwE
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:50 PM   #29

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
The Westinghouse iGen 2500 gets 4 stars on Amazon, and with its higher output you may not need two. Its sister gets 4 1/2 stars.

PS, Amazon is big enough. You never want to become dependent on a sole supplier. Spread your business around.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:50 PM   #30

Smith Valley, Nevada
Steve,
That Westinghouse looks like a good one. More power, a slightly larger engine, good warrantee and light weight.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #31

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Steve,
That Westinghouse looks like a good one. More power, a slightly larger engine, good warrantee and light weight.
Yeah, and 52 dB too... that is much quieter than a 57 dB unit, decibels being a logarithmic scale and all.

I decided to pull the trigger, been thinking about getting a generator for years anyway. Just didn't want to spend a grand on one.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:11 PM   #32

Name: Marge
Oregon
Thank you all! I'm enjoying all these replies and it's a lot to think about. I feel like we have a work around for everything except the AC. I contacted Little House and they recommended the Cold Start Capacitor if the 2000W isn't enough. While it would be nice to have 3000 W, I'm not at all excited about doubling the weight of the thing. I don't expect to need the AC much, but since we will be camping with our dog and may want to leave him in the trailer at times it feels like a must to at least be able to run it occasionally.
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #33

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Other campers have been known to shut down an annoying generator. I wouldn't want to leave my dog in the trailer, hoping that the A/C would still be working when I got back.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #34

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
The Westinghouse iGen2500 is $500 here. Says 11 left as of this moment...
https://www.kikimart.us/products/wes...RoCHpgQAvD_BwE
Wow, my heart is pounding! Went to your link and watched the "in stock" number go down to 8. Called my husband at work and we jumped on it! Then I went back to this link and clicked on it again and the "in stock" number went back up to 17. So it's a bit of a scammy pressure tactic, but thanks, Steve! I'm glad to have found this 2500 W unit at the same good price as the one at Costco. Hopefully our AC will start with no problem with this.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #35

Oregon
And OMG, what an entertaining website! A bluetooth instant pot pressure cooker right next to a cosmic burial urn. 3 and 5 gallon water jug tops right next to an American Flag speedo mens bathing suit. To say nothing of a generator. Got a really fun laugh out of it. https://www.kikimart.us/
Old 03-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #36

Minnesota
Registry
Yeah I noticed that "number left" scam too. English doesn't seem to be their first language either "We will free shipping with order more than 99.99$".

Oh well, as long as they deliver for that price I am happy, cheapest I saw elsewhere was $630.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:16 PM   #37

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Good luck with kikimart... (you might need it)

https://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/kikimart.us

Looks like the domain name is all of 45 days old.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #38

Minnesota
Registry
Hmmm, well basically they are unknown. Fingers crossed!
Old 03-06-2018, 08:51 PM   #39

Oregon
Good point about not leaving the dog with the AC running. An on the website issue, I did get an order confirmation email, so yes, fingers crossed. I hate the thought that Amazon is the only website I can trust...
Old 03-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #40

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Good luck with kikimart... (you might need it)

https://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/kikimart.us

Looks like the domain name is all of 45 days old.
Thanks for the link to scamadviser. I hadn't heard about that site before. Their report looks very concerning, but I am going to keep my fingers crosssed and hope that this is just a new site trying to do a legit business.

Tags
generator