You Can Repair Fiberglass - Page 10 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2016, 07:05 AM   #181

Trailer: Home Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
That is a great idea! Ingeniues that is why I love this forum! One more question. So would you cut it to fit the conduit frame and glass it to the conduit and if so how would you clean up the edges, more glass then filler?
Rivet it to the frame, glass the edges, remove the rivets and bondo the edges, rivet hole and defects and paint....easy and you can do it Fiberglass Dave
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:15 AM   #182

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Thanks Dave, now that I have a good plan I am going to work on this today, will let you know how it turns out...this thread and your advice given here are indispensable to this forum! If we ever meet up at a rally or campsite somewhere I will gladly buy you a beer!
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #183

Quote:
Thanks Dave, now that I have a good plan I am going to work on this today, will let you know how it turns out...this thread and your advice given here are indispensable to this forum! If we ever meet up at a rally or campsite somewhere I will gladly buy you a beer!
I love Beer almost as much as fiberglass and aluminum
Old 06-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #184

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: Dog Grooming buses
California
I've got a doozy!

OK, so I've read the entire thread just about twice now and I think I have built up the confidence to try; thanks Dave! I REALLY appreciate your approach and attitude in this thread. It's rare and refreshing. Thanks for the help!

My question is how do I start to fix this problem? Is it above the rookie level? I've never messed with fiberglass before but I have 5 commercial vehicles with fiberglass structures and so it would greatly benefit me to learn how.

How should I tackle this repair? Cut it completely out? Smash it back to basic form and fill and grind smooth? What are your suggestions? It doesn't look like the regular mat or cloth I have seen in this post, is it different? Is it something I can go buy? Am I asking so many questons you're thinking I should put down the computer and step away from the forum?

Thanks for helping if you can!
Joanthan

Hopefully the pictures are visible.
Attached Thumbnails
1-20160619_120927.jpg   2-20160619_120933.jpg  

3-20160619_120945.jpg  
FoxyRoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #185

Deep South
door repair

Dave,
Just wanted to say thanks for your help, I have been so busy I forgot to post pictures of the door inside skin repair. Your idea worked great! I was surprised at how the glass held its shape using the outside of the door. Now I am ready to try to make a custom shower pan and a small fiberglass sink for the wet bath in my Boler...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160506_145242633_HDRa.jpg   IMG_20160506_150147465_HDRa.jpg  

IMG_20160506_170816359a.jpg   IMG_20160506_194533195_HDRa.jpg  

Old 06-22-2016, 02:43 PM   #186

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyRoxys View Post
OK, so I've read the entire thread just about twice now and I think I have built up the confidence to try; thanks Dave! I REALLY appreciate your approach and attitude in this thread. It's rare and refreshing. Thanks for the help!

My question is how do I start to fix this problem? Is it above the rookie level? I've never messed with fiberglass before but I have 5 commercial vehicles with fiberglass structures and so it would greatly benefit me to learn how.

How should I tackle this repair? Cut it completely out? Smash it back to basic form and fill and grind smooth? What are your suggestions? It doesn't look like the regular mat or cloth I have seen in this post, is it different? Is it something I can go buy? Am I asking so many questons you're thinking I should put down the computer and step away from the forum?

Joanthan

You have a lot of compound surfaces going on there. That is not going to be an easy beginners repair. So depending on how talented and how patient you personally are it may or may not be a rookie level repair. The worst part of it will be creating some backers for the repair area that follow those contours. If you have some talent at sculpture I would say you have a fair chance of getting the job done. If making 3D shapes to match another shape is something you find difficult to do then it will be a struggle for you to accomplish it.

The shell was not laid up with the kind of stuff you can buy in a hardware store. Here is a video on how they do it. But this method is not how you are going to be repairing it. You will be able to repair it with stuff you can buy in the stores.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #187

Deep South
Here is a few more pics...I didn't take any more pics but after I filled and sanded all the edges down and block sanded the inside flat surface of the door it turned out very nice. I put marine vinyl directly over the inside of the door rather than painting it so it matched the interior but the DAP contact cement didn't hold so I got to redo it or find a better adhesive. I applied it to both the door and the vinyl and let tack up for 5 minutes the pressed it in place, 2 weeks later it started letting go. The vinyl also shrunk from the 90 plus degree summer Georgia heat. I know this is off topic Dave but do you have any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160514_094349458_HDRa.jpg   IMG_20160514_094853451a.jpg  

Old 06-23-2016, 06:38 AM   #188

Quote:

Joanthan

You can do this, do not get afraid from naysayers. I need to know if you can get to the damage and work from the inside and we will go from there....Fiberglass Dave
Old 06-23-2016, 06:39 AM   #189

Quote:
Dave,
Just wanted to say thanks for your help, I have been so busy I forgot to post pictures of the door inside skin repair. Your idea worked great! I was surprised at how the glass held its shape using the outside of the door. Now I am ready to try to make a custom shower pan and a small fiberglass sink for the wet bath in my Boler...
Excellent work here...Fiberglass Dave
Old 06-23-2016, 06:45 AM   #190

Quote:
Here is a few more pics...I didn't take any more pics but after I filled and sanded all the edges down and block sanded the inside flat surface of the door it turned out very nice. I put marine vinyl directly over the inside of the door rather than painting it so it matched the interior but the DAP contact cement didn't hold so I got to redo it or find a better adhesive. I applied it to both the door and the vinyl and let tack up for 5 minutes the pressed it in place, 2 weeks later it started letting go. The vinyl also shrunk from the 90 plus degree summer Georgia heat. I know this is off topic Dave but do you have any suggestions?

Sorry for the problem but you can easily fix it. Go to an upholstery shop and get some vinyl top glue made for cars...clean off the failing glue and redo with it....no problem and you did it yourself. This isn't a failure, it is a learning experience just like going to college. Imagine how much money you could save if you did everything your self your entire life and never hired anyone to repair anything...thousands...knowledge and experience is money.
Good luck...Fiberglass Dave
Old 06-23-2016, 08:10 AM   #191

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Nothing special about repairing that Foxy and there's nothing special about those that do...most people don't even wanna do that stuff. It's messy at times and all but isn't hard at all.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:10 AM   #192

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
I've never done fiberglass and don't have a trailer (yet...shopping), but I just have to say "Thanks" to Dave--this thread is what makes the Internet great. Fantastic info, and I love the way you answer everyone not only with facts, but with "you can do it". Fabulous.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #193

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by D White View Post
You can do this, do not get afraid from naysayers. I need to know if you can get to the damage and work from the inside and we will go from there....Fiberglass Dave
Yeah, I can to to it from the inside. It's up in a cabinet.
My groomer ran into the corner of an overhang/eve on a customer's house...stabbed right though it.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:22 PM   #194

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
My groomer ran into the corner of an overhang/eve on a customer's house...stabbed right though it.
It looks like someone already tried to fix it. There is a large flat section, on the front that seems to not fit the profile of the rest of the front. Possibly others. This may complicate your repair.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #195

Quote:
Just sand/grind to fresh glass (using safety stuff as previously discussed) then push raised broken areas to below level. Then go inside and put some waxed paper to the bottom of the area and tape and support with cardboard or anything you can think of, Mix according to instructions and put new fiberglass from the outside in no more than 3 layers at a time. Let cure, sand and put some more in the low areas (always sand between, remember?) Don't worry about the naysayers saying you might have perceived problems. Do it...if if is too high, sand it to level...too low, put some more on...You can do it
Fiberglass Dave
Old 06-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #196

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
Like Dave said... just do it. It's not hard, just be patient. The beauty of fiberglass is if you mess it up you just sand it off and try again.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #197

California
So basically leave what's there now, sand/grind that? Or remove it?
Old 06-24-2016, 12:47 PM   #198

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Yes...push it around and down into shape as best you can....that flat area he's talking about looks like it may have been pushed up to high from inside after the accident? Yould know if a repair was done , so I ask.
Get it back to looking the part...back it inside with the wax paper and whatever as he said..start laying on cloth and resin. If prices are missing, maybe do them small ones first and it'll help hold the shape. It isn't really hard, you'll see. But it can get messy.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #199

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
Looking at the pics, I would leave it. The holes are large so I would go with a backing plate. Luan plywood works well as it is rigid yet it bends well. Anything really will work you just need to attach it to the inside.
Get rid of all the loose stuff. When you do your first application of mat and resin, let it harden well. Your first sand will take care of all the small fibers still poking up.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:34 PM   #200

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
So basically leave what's there now, sand/grind that? Or remove it?
I can't seem to enlarge the pics but it looks to me like its been repaired before. The large flat piece looks like a patch/fix from something that was removed. Perfect time to clean that up too.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote