You Can Repair Fiberglass - Page 11 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2016, 06:27 PM   #201

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Dave...I don't see a repair....I can kinda see where it contacted the overhang...the scuff mark across the front...and along the sides of that piece you can see where if it's pushed flat that'll mate up with the bottom under it...look at the tear closely. Doing that should cause the vertical piece to stand up like the rest....hold it in place and start gluing! A repair would never match the faded blue and scrapes ..I doubt it has been touched other than pushed up to high from underneath.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #202

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
Dave...I don't see a repair....I can kinda see where it contacted the overhang...the scuff mark across the front...and along the sides of that piece you can see where if it's pushed flat that'll mate up with the bottom under it...look at the tear closely. Doing that should cause the vertical piece to stand up like the rest....hold it in place and start gluing! A repair would never match the faded blue and scrapes ..I doubt it has been touched other than pushed up to high from underneath.
What looks like a patch to me is above the "WWW" and about 18" square with a lot of caulking around the edges. Was kind of hoping the OP had more info.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #203

Trailer: Home Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaner View Post
Looking at the pics, I would leave it. The holes are large so I would go with a backing plate. Luan plywood works well as it is rigid yet it bends well. Anything really will work you just need to attach it to the inside.
Get rid of all the loose stuff. When you do your first application of mat and resin, let it harden well. Your first sand will take care of all the small fibers still poking up.
Don't do this...there is no way plywood or anything stiff should be used here...and do 3 layers minimum the first time...this is bad advice
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:40 PM   #204

Registry
I see that Dave...I think the mark left to right is where it first contacted and went back ...I agree..be nice if the poster came on with some info. We shall see I guess
Old 06-25-2016, 02:27 AM   #205

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyRoxys View Post
So basically leave what's there now, sand/grind that? Or remove it?
What I think you need to do is follow the advice of D. White who started this thread. He has the experience to guide you through your fix step by step as he said he would.

The rest of us can watch and learn and be supportive without needing to be in control of it. What really matters is that the repair gets done. Because things need to be done in a very logical sequence for making the repair you need to stick to listening to just one mentor.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:29 AM   #206

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good advice KC, FG Dave knows his stuff and gives it freely. I would also add that there are a few threads here of other TTs repairs that had major damage from snow load ect. Folks have done a great job of adding pics and documentation of how they supported the broken pieces for repair. For someone that's never done FG work before the pics can fill in the blanks, it's the 1000 word thing.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #207

Registry
nvm....changed my mind
Old 06-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
What I think you need to do is follow the advice of D. White who started this thread. He has the experience to guide you through your fix step by step as he said he would.

The rest of us can watch and learn and be supportive without needing to be in control of it. What really matters is that the repair gets done. Because things need to be done in a very logical sequence for making the repair you need to stick to listening to just one mentor.
Thank you for this. The OP asked this thread (me) not the general forum. That is a huge difference because bad advice waters this thread down and may cause many people to not be successful when they could have been. I would like anyone to try fiberglass repair as I feel, with some right information, anyone can do it. However, I like others to start their OWN thread so that the general public can choose what they want to try from someone else's experience. I have 40 years experience to share, but I certainly don't know everything...May the forest be with you...Fiberglass Dave
Old 06-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #209

Quote:
So basically leave what's there now, sand/grind that? Or remove it?

I hope you were not confused by all the falderal posts on your question and decided not to try the repair....Fiberglass Dave
Old 07-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #210

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: Dog Grooming buses
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by D White View Post
I hope you were not confused by all the falderal posts on your question and decided not to try the repair....Fiberglass Dave
I am not afraid to try and fail! I'm a sucker for never giving up until I learn that I can't do it or that I have done it!

No, I'm doing the repair, I just have another rig getting an engine replaced so the damaged one is currently on the road working daily, so I can't pull it off the road until my other rig is done hopefully next week. (waiting for engine to ship).

I think I'll buy my supplies this week though. Should I head to a marine supply store or auto-body supply store? Where is the best place to get the good stuff? AMAZON?

If y'all can come back to me when I'm ready that would be awesome. I am really hoping to get it completed by the 17th, we are having a photoshoot with all of our buses and I need her to look purty for the pictures!

--Jonathan
FoxyRoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #211

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: Dog Grooming buses
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post

Thanks for this. I usually soak in all the advice I can (at least the positive and supportive bits) but filter it through the guy that has the most experience and the desire and effort to help the most. (D. White).
FoxyRoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #212

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
I am not afraid to try and fail! I'm a sucker for never giving up until I learn that I can't do it or that I have done it!

No, I'm doing the repair, I just have another rig getting an engine replaced so the damaged one is currently on the road working daily, so I can't pull it off the road until my other rig is done hopefully next week. (waiting for engine to ship).

I think I'll buy my supplies this week though. Should I head to a marine supply store or auto-body supply store? Where is the best place to get the good stuff? AMAZON?

If y'all can come back to me when I'm ready that would be awesome. I am really hoping to get it completed by the 17th, we are having a photoshoot with all of our buses and I need her to look purty for the pictures!

--Jonathan
I figured you were busy with business as I took a peek at your website. It would be nice to have it done ASAP but...you know what those starlets are like when they pose for publicity photos, always saying "this is my best side, shoot me from this angle".

It will be interesting to see the work, please post photos. That is a lot of complex surfaces to repair and I want to see how it progresses through the steps. But I also know you can't take photos when you have your hands coated with resin unless someone else is holding the camera and posting photos takes time away from the work.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #213

Quote:

--Jonathan
Get it where ever it is handy or cheaper or what ever your criteria is...just get it and get on with it. If it is not right with you, redo it till it is. You can do it....Fiberglass Dave
Old 07-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #214

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
We are fixing the outside of our boler used West System Epoxy to fill the holes it worked better than other products we have used but remember gelcoat has wax in it and to use acetone to clean the surface or will not stick.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #215

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
getting ready to fill in the big holes

Dave, I've just reread all of YOUR stuff again to prepare for filling the holes left from the refrigerator venting in our Scamp. Just wanted to thank you again for the excellent advice as well the infusion of courage to work in fiberglass. I have my work cut out for me but am ready for the big stuff now. (I've already finished most of the bullet holes and they came out great, thanks to you.) I'll need a little more mat and some resin and I'll be ready for to go.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #216

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Dave,
Back again for more help/suggestions...so I put a bath in the front of our '71 13' Boler but unlike other similar designs including Scamp and Casita we put the toilet (porta potty) on the curb side so we could get a twin bunk where the kitchenette was..works good but the shower curtain has to wrap 360 around you as we are using a utility tub for the shower, and a 1x2 and plywood wall with an accordion folding door. We have a PVC shower curtain rod held up by 2 hooks over the door and a "T" in the window that rests on the fiberglass ledge/shelf to support the 2 shower curtains to wrap the utility tub to contain the water with one side expanding over the toilet area. After using it a few times we have decided we would rather modify it to be a wet bath so we can ditch the curtain and not feel so claustrophobic, plus it is a pain to put the pvc rod & curtain up for a shower and take down (can't really use the porta potty with the curtain up).

So what are your thoughts on building your own custom shower pan? I thought about a stock scamp or casita but with my toilet on the opposite side don't see a way to make that work without modification so it makes more sense to me to start from scratch. Then my next thoughts are with the "walls" which I could use a poly panel from Home Depot but with the curves in the upper and lower corners I wondered if it would be better to hand lay fiberglass for the wall panels? I was concerned about getting a good fit and seal in the poly panels...what would you do (besides scrap the shower idea lol)?
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:31 PM   #217

Registry
This worked out nice for this guy

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...r-49049-5.html

Post #58
Old 07-18-2016, 07:35 PM   #218

Deep South
Quote:
This worked out nice for this guy

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...r-49049-5.html

Post #58
Thanks Bruce I like that idea, not sure if it will work for us though but I will give it some thought...
Old 07-18-2016, 07:38 PM   #219

Registry
Myself, I'm usually at a campground with a shower so I wouldn't do it. Seeing how he squeezed all that stuff In A compact is cool though.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:10 PM   #220

Deep South
Quote:
Myself, I'm usually at a campground with a shower so I wouldn't do it. Seeing how he squeezed all that stuff In A compact is cool though.
Bruce I just went through his threads, that is very impressive. Its funny though I have searched here for different things many times including showers but never came across this one before. Seems like we both shared similar ideas on shower and water heater setups...