You Can Repair Fiberglass - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #41

Trailer: 1973 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by D White View Post
Shelly...those are easily doable by you...just grind the area down so there is room for at least 2 layers of mat (not cloth...ever) then safely glass away, and put filler over the sanded repair!!!
Ok - will be doing it this weekend so here's hoping I can follow directions! A couple points for clarification - mat is the stuff with the random fibers not the woven stuff? Once I have put the glass on and it dries, do I need to rasp it to shape it or just sand it smooth? What kind of filler goes over top (a product name would be helpful)? I assume the filler is what makes it smooth and ready for painting once sanded?

On other thing ... do I just sand down and fill the spider cracks with filler? The kind with fibers or no fibers?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #42

Trailer: Home Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley w View Post
Ok - will be doing it this weekend so here's hoping I can follow directions! A couple points for clarification - mat is the stuff with the random fibers not the woven stuff? Once I have put the glass on and it dries, do I need to rasp it to shape it or just sand it smooth? What kind of filler goes over top (a product name would be helpful)? I assume the filler is what makes it smooth and ready for painting once sanded?

On other thing ... do I just sand down and fill the spider cracks with filler? The kind with fibers or no fibers?
Hi Shelly...I,m excited for you...please don't use any of the afore mentioned cookie sheets or the cutting board for your project...no unknown plastics....ever....woven mat is what you want...NOTHING that looks like cloth. After it dries you need to rasp it, grind it or heavy grit sand it into shape, just under the level of the surface to allow for filler (the common name is bondo) and keep applying the filler and sanding with progressively finer grit until its ready for primer and paint...Good Luck, I know you can do it...remember, safety, and nothing goes over anything unsanded and you will be fine!!!!you don't need filler with fibers ever either
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #43

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1978 13' Scamp
California
I was amazed how two beginners like myself and my husband could fix all the fiberglass damage on our Scamp and have it come out looking like there was no damage at all! Of course, we were very thorough.

I would like to add that I purchased those "hotdog" paper boats from our Smart&Final store here, and found that the rectangular shape with the long straight edges was very helpful. We used the boats also for all of our bondo work and putty/glazing. We never had issues with mess or cleaning because we always used disposable materials.
morbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #44

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
until its ready for primer and paint...
Will you be providing any tips on doing gelcoat repairs like they do on boats?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Will you be providing any tips on doing gelcoat repairs like they do on boats?
Good question...I'm having trouble figuring out what to do, as the thread gets added to with stuff I may or may not agree with. My goal was to have a bodywork thread and a finish thread. However, I have scaled it all back, as it is not that I know everything, but I do see many things come up on the web as fact that I deem trouble from my 35 years experience. The more a repair requires, the more precise the procedure. Any ideas readers?
Old 07-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #46

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Good question...I'm having trouble figuring out what to do, as the thread gets added to with stuff I may or may not agree with. My goal was to have a bodywork thread and a finish thread. However, I have scaled it all back, as it is not that I know everything, but I do see many things come up on the web as fact that I deem trouble from my 35 years experience. The more a repair requires, the more precise the procedure. Any ideas readers?
This is one of the peculiarities of this site is that there does not seem to be any way for someone to put in a "tutorial" thread. For some reason the concept becomes highly resisted because it seems that the principle of "everyone has a right to post - no matter how ill informed or wrong-headed their advice" soon outweighs any concept of the Fiberglass RV.com site become any form of "one stop" useful advice.

I have been a moderator on two other sites and a person has to be somewhat of a well-regarded "expert" to be asked to become a mod. The mod's job is to examine each post for content and accuracy, to ensure that no bad advice is given and to make sure that the standards of the site as a "go to" site are respected (as well as to keep objectionable stuff off the net, etc.)

If this site were organized in a similar manner, I'd nominate you as a mod for a "bodywork" thread, with powers to delete "wrong info" postings. (or move such postings to another thread)

I'd suggest splitting into 2 threads - one where YOU only can post and one where people ask questions and you respond or moderate responses from others who may also have some "know how" - which, in terms of body work certainly eliminates me!

However, making such a change would mean a wholesale reorg of the site as mods would then be responsible for a sections such as "care & feeding" as opposed to being generalist enthusiasts/overall well regarded F/G owners/users as now

Perhaps if there were a technical advice section with specific mods or specific sub categories such as
plumbing
electrical
glass bodywork
windows and seals
frames and running gear
propane
etc
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
This is one of the peculiarities of this site is that there does not seem to be any way for someone to put in a "tutorial" thread. For some reason the concept becomes highly resisted because it seems that the principle of "everyone has a right to post - no matter how ill informed or wrong-headed their advice" soon outweighs any concept of the Fiberglass RV.com site become any form of "one stop" useful advice.

I have been a moderator on two other sites and a person has to be somewhat of a well-regarded "expert" to be asked to become a mod. The mod's job is to examine each post for content and accuracy, to ensure that no bad advice is given and to make sure that the standards of the site as a "go to" site are respected (as well as to keep objectionable stuff off the net, etc.)

If this site were organized in a similar manner, I'd nominate you as a mod for a "bodywork" thread, with powers to delete "wrong info" postings. (or move such postings to another thread)

I'd suggest splitting into 2 threads - one where YOU only can post and one where people ask questions and you respond or moderate responses from others who may also have some "know how" - which, in terms of body work certainly eliminates me!

However, making such a change would mean a wholesale reorg of the site as mods would then be responsible for a sections such as "care & feeding" as opposed to being generalist enthusiasts/overall well regarded F/G owners/users as now

Perhaps if there were a technical advice section with specific mods or specific sub categories such as
plumbing
electrical
glass bodywork
windows and seals
frames and running gear
propane
etc
Since this is my FAVORITE site, I vote for no changes...I don't know everything and don't have the desire to become an expert, only to devise steps from my experience that will work for the first timer, and not cost them an arm and a leg to improve their trailer. Some good ideas above, but too radical for me right now. Thank you for the acceptance.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
This is one of the peculiarities of this site is that there does not seem to be any way for someone to put in a "tutorial" thread.
There might be Dave.

Can a moderator make the thread a sticky and lock it. Then as the other Dave has another post ready, a moderator can add it to the thread. If they can split and merge threads, they should be able to merge new posts into a locked thread.

One way to allow discussion would be to put a link in the original post to a second thread also as a sticky but unlocked. E.g. You can repair fiberglass - discussion.

Multiple Dave's reminds me of the Bob Newhart thing. This is my brother Darryl and my other brother Darryl.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #49

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Anyone know major retailers where I can get fiberglass mat. The places I'm looking, Home Depot, Autoparts places, hardware stores all have the same thing Bondo products and 3M cloth. No mat to be found. No choices in resin.

I have filled some small holes with the Bondo resin and all but one seem to have bonded well, one little hole popped out. I may have gotten some silicon remover down in that hole that prevented a good chemical bond.

What are the disadvantages of cloth? I'm not doing large repairs on the shell, but small things.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #50

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1978 13' Scamp
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Anyone know major retailers where I can get fiberglass mat. The places I'm looking, Home Depot, Autoparts places, hardware stores all have the same thing Bondo products and 3M cloth. No mat to be found. No choices in resin.
I found fiberglass mat at Home Depot and our other local hardware store. When all else fails there is alway online!
morbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #51

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbank View Post
I found fiberglass mat at Home Depot and our other local hardware store. When all else fails there is alway online!
Mat not cloth? May have to do some calling around....
Old 07-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #52

Are you close to any marine supply places or autobody suppliers?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #53

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO;[URL="tel:319831"
319831[/URL]]Are you close to any marine supply places or autobody suppliers?
Not too many Marine anything here in New Mexico, but there are autobody shops on most corners it seems, they must get their supplies somewhere. Most places will probably be closed for the weekend, but I might try NAPA, they often cater to pros more than Autozone, O'Riely's

Is there a specific reason to avoid cloth in favor of mat? Repairing mat I could see why you'd want mat, but for just making some modifications or reinforcing some woodwork?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #54

My Bad.
Your profile reads California, I assumed you might be close to some water.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #55

Name: Lori
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Not too many Marine anything here in New Mexico, but there are autobody shops on most corners it seems, they must get their supplies somewhere. Most places will probably be closed for the weekend, but I might try NAPA, they often cater to pros more than Autozone, O'Riely's

Is there a specific reason to avoid cloth in favor of mat? Repairing mat I could see why you'd want mat, but for just making some modifications or reinforcing some woodwork?

I am just trying to show people how to repair their trailers correctly and cheaply. Weave has it's place in the industry and for many things mat shouldn't be used but weave should...the illustrated repairs and most everything having to do with our trailers, you should use mat...ymmv
LoriF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #56

Name: Lori
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriF View Post
I am just trying to show people how to repair their trailers correctly and cheaply. Weave has it's place in the industry and for many things mat shouldn't be used but weave should...the illustrated repairs and most everything having to do with our trailers, you should use mat...ymmv

oops, Im on Lori's computer...sorry
LoriF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #57

Trailer: 1973 Boler
I've found this thread immensely helpful and I certainly hope my questions and requests for clarification didn't confuse matters. Nice thing about such forums as these, you can take what you want and leave what you don't and the collective experience is usually a fair indicator as to what works and what doesn't. I am thankful I don't have to reinvent the wheel and can benefit from those 'who dunnit' before me!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #58

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Dave, You are da fiberglass man, been really enjoying this thread.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #59

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Donna D snagged the explanation for fixing leaky Uhaul windows into a pdf to act as a tutorial. Perhaps this can be done with this thread too, so it is easier to point people needing help to the documents section.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley w View Post
I've found this thread immensely helpful and I certainly hope my questions and requests for clarification didn't confuse matters. Nice thing about such forums as these, you can take what you want and leave what you don't and the collective experience is usually a fair indicator as to what works and what doesn't. I am thankful I don't have to reinvent the wheel and can benefit from those 'who dunnit' before me!
Actually, I was hoping for questions just like yours, and I hope I was of some value in your quest to improve your trailer and expand your ability to do it yourself. One sucessful do it yourself project also gives you confidence to do more and more.