your first time out - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2014, 02:23 AM   #21

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Have and use chock blocks even if it's "level" as stated... (now my crank handle has just a bit more clearance). Cooking spray oil is a good lubricant for screw jacks and it stays on plus it don't mess up the environment like petroleum products do. Don't rush that's when you brake or damage stuff. I shared that tip
with a long time R.V owner.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #22

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
First time backing the Lil Snoozy with help - took 45 minutes, 3 jack knifes, lots of swearing, and crunched the air conditioner cover on the back of the trailer into some k-bar rods sticking out of the truck parked behind me.

First time backing my Escape 19 - jack knifed and shattered my truck's drivers side tail light.

Last time backing my Escape - took less than 10 minutes and nothing broken.

Lessons learned - take your time, look for overhead obstacles, when you start to jack knife pull forward, practice, and most importantly ... NEVER GIVE UP!

If I can do it, anyone can!!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #23

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Backing up

Here's a tip from my fairly experienced former boat towing Mr. about backing up that is helping this directionally challenged old girl some as I learn....put your hands at the BOTTOM of the steering wheel.....the direction you turn the wheel is then the direction the trailer will turn.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yep, that's a great tip, but remember two more things about backing:
1. That's the direction that the back of the trailer will go
and
2. Don't hold the wheel there for long or you will jacknife. Get the turn started and then come back to straight ahead on the steering wheel otherwise the turn will just get tighter and tighter.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote