1/4" Quick-connect propane fittings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2021, 10:15 AM   #1

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
1/4" Quick-connect propane fittings

Please correct me if I'm mistaken:

I started researching why there are so many different types of "Quick-Connect" gas and air fittings. I'm glad I did.

It appears that propane ("RV") quick-connect fittings are designed to tighter tolerances and have a slightly different form factor than the air hose fittings available in the Big Orange Retail Giant (BORG). I'm not sure if there is a variety of specifically designed propane fittings, but it would appear (and from experience) that a number of brands are NOT interchangeable.

So there are two types of fittings: the "coupler" and the "plug." The coupler provides the female end, and the plug provides the male end. They probably should be from the same manufacturer, right?. Also, in the propane world, most couplers seem to have a shut-off ball valve incorporated right into the fitting.

One should NOT attempt to use air fittings (like for my air compressor and air tools) in the propane world.

Also, should the coupler and valve be at the appliance end of the hose or at the supply end of the hose?

Lastly, does anybody know of a page out there in internet land that discusses the myriad types (D, L, M, automobile, industrial, universal) of fittings and how they are specified?

Thanks for any comments!

Chuck
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:53 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Chuck, I do not know of any page that discusses couplers but you are correct; air and propane do not mix. But be aware that there are high pressure and low pressure QD connectors for propane and they will not function with eachother. While they look the same externally, they are not internally. You can tell a low pressure plug from a high pressure plug because the passageway is a larger diameter on a low pressure plug. Low pressure fittings are used AFTER the regulator. Typically, the coupler is used on the feed line and the plug on the appliance. And a 1/4-inch line will deliver 75,000 BTUs/hour.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:39 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
The on/off valve should be on the supply side of the coupler, where the pressure is. If not turned off, you cannot insert the male fitting on my OEM setup.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:04 AM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
The on/off valve should be on the supply side of the coupler, where the pressure is. If not turned off, you cannot insert the male fitting on my OEM setup.
Please note that couplers without the shut off valve are available. Perhaps it would be more accurate (100% of QD set-ups) to say the female fitting is normally on the supply side. I have a couple of extension hoses and can locate my propane fire pit a good distance from the pressurized (low pressure) connector.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane