110 volt and 12 volt on the same switch? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #41

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Hi Leonard. I am a little confused by your statement. Perhaps you can clarify?

When you say "arc inherent in DC loads" do you mean reactive (i.e. inductive) loads? I am not sure arcing is an issue with a purely resistive load.

What characteristics would be employed to make a DC switch that would be different from an AC switch?

Assuming the capacitor is chosen with a proper voltage value, why would it fail?

Thanks, Raz
Raz, DC loads are much more difficult to break. They never cross zero, so the current interrupting capacity must be de-rated for a switch that is designed for AC. As noted by others, there are switches that work for both, but are typically rated lower in a DC service.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #42

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
It always ceases to amaze me how those who know everything take 3 pages to agree on a single thing. People have more fun than anybody and sometimes in some conditions a horse runs faster than one that's standing still. I think all the necessary conditions have been met for a quick getaway. C y'all.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #43

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Raz, DC loads are much more difficult to break. They never cross zero, so the current interrupting capacity must be de-rated for a switch that is designed for AC. As noted by others, there are switches that work for both, but are typically rated lower in a DC service.
And in the same vein, is the effect of getting shocks. (I know, going off track here ) I have had lots of shocks from 120 AC, and though it hurts a bit, it is easy to pull away from as the current alternates past zero. I have had a couple shocks from 130 DC (used as control voltage for equipment in electrical substations), and holy crap does that hurt, it feels like getting hit in your whole arm at one time, and being a constant current, it does not let go as easily.

Anyhoo, back to your normal programming.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #44

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
It always ceases to amaze me how those who know everything take 3 pages to agree on a single thing.
jack
Hey Mr. Language Person!

Is "always ceases to amaze" what happens at some point after a certain something "never fails to amaze"?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #45

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hey Mr. Language Person!

Is "always ceases to amaze" what happens at some point after a certain something "never fails to amaze"?

Francesca
I think it is that sarcasm thing again.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #46
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A shocking response

The only way to equate AC and DC is through power dissipation. A 120 VDC source will heat a resistive load to the same temperature as a 120 VAC rms source. While not a resistive load you are close enough and as such will cook to the same temperature with either source applied after an equal amount of time.

As to the disruption of your nervous system caused by each source, I am skeptical that the 8.33 millisecond zero crossing event of the AC source will prove to be advantageous in getting free but will be more that glad to review any data experimentally gathered. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #47

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Hey Schoolmistress, whassup? You arrived a few pages in so you have a right to catch up but I swear it's a blessed relief when some of these stemwinders do finally go completely off topic! It's a switch anyway, har har har.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote