After taking the camper for a ride and mocking the solar panels up on the roof, I knew I needed to do something to mitigate the bouncing side to side.
I figured the best way to do this was to install a set of shocks. A quick google search later and I find a company that makes a kit for the dexter axle and Casita
. Awesome! Its a little expensive but I figure it will save me some time and its already a proven design. I call them up and the lady says that its a 6 MONTH WAIT!!!! I asked why so long? And she told me they were just a busy shop. What a joke....
Seeing as that was out of the question, i went on amazon and ordered up the shortest set of air shocks I could find. I found a set that was used on a Harley Davidson air suspension. $60 for thr pair. Then I went down to my local race car fabricator and got some off the shelf brackets that I could modify to make work. $25 a trip to the local ace hardware for all the nuts bolts and spacers, and i was ready to go. $20.
I decided to weld a braket to the frame and another to the axle/arm of the hub. I used a string tied to the upper and lower eyes to hold the shock at the ride height while I mocked up the braxkets. Tacted everything in and made sure it would work, then welded it in. After everything was bolted up, the only thing left to do was run the air hose for the air supply. They say the min air pressure you should run is 25 psi, so that what I have it at.
I pulled the camper around with full water tanks (about 400lbs) and drove over a bunch of speed bumps and awkward angles to test it out. It made a huge difference. It roesnt have the solar panels on it right now, but I cant see how its nots going to help.