13' Casita Trailer Off Restoration. - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2020, 05:23 AM   #101

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Can you imagine Casita came out with an expedition model that incorporated your design? There is a market for it. Heck, I could see a small shop doing conversions, probably just the outside stuff: frame, axle, lift, cage style wrap around frame, etc.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #102

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade R View Post
I was so impressed by the work you've done that I decided to try and copy some of your methods and buy a casita for myself. My girlfriend and I just purchased and brought home a 2004 17ft Casita. You sold me on fiberglass. Thank you for the inspiration!
Congrats on the purchase. Get ready for a lot of man hours! I cannot believe how much time I have in this thing. Did I go overboard? Of course, but that's what makes it so cool. Hope your project goes smooth.
CasitaInFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:47 PM   #103

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Can you imagine Casita came out with an expedition model that incorporated your design? There is a market for it. Heck, I could see a small shop doing conversions, probably just the outside stuff: frame, axle, lift, cage style wrap around frame, etc.
Doing it for the first time was pretty rough. Now that all the pieces are made and could potentially be templated, it may make it somewhat easier. Not going to lie, just the cost of the components is pretty high. I could only imagine the mark up being substantial. Here within the next couple months I plan to be traveling with it to GA and TN. Looking forward to enjoying it.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:07 PM   #104

Florida
I thought j posted this before, but I guess not...

I had planned on skinning the solar panel housing with aluminum to help keep water out and just make it look better. I got some aluminum from my local sheet metal shop and had them do some of the critical bends that I could not do at my house. Anyway, this is what it will look like when it's all together. I took this photo before sending everything off to powder coat. I just got everything back from powder coat and it looks great. I still need to assemble it all though.
Attached Thumbnails
0613201807_HDR.jpg   0815201459a.jpg  

0815201459.jpg  
Old 08-15-2020, 03:06 PM   #105

Name: Wade
Florida
How much of the underside of the trailer did you paint? Any photos of underneath?
Wade R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:59 PM   #106

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade R View Post
How much of the underside of the trailer did you paint? Any photos of underneath?
I painted the underside when I had the shell off the trailer. Didnt really worry about what it looled like, just painted it with that rubberized truck bed stuff to make sure some of the patched holes stayed water tight.

Got to test out the running lights I installed awhile ago too.
Attached Thumbnails
0815201753.jpg   0803202141a.jpg  

Old 04-05-2021, 12:34 PM   #107

Name: Wade
Florida
Where did you get the 1/2 polyethylene foam you used? Also what weight did you use? I found this source, but it's offered in both 2lbs and 4lbs weight and I'm not sure which to choose. Thank you!

https://www.foambymail.com/PR/polyet...foam-roll.html
Wade R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita