15 amp to 30 amp Rewire - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2008, 11:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
My Scamp 13 has 15 amp service, but I have a box with slots for two breakers and only one installed. From what I'm reading I should be able to add a Marinco 30 A inlet, a Locking cordset and bring 30 amp service to the inside breaker box using 10 ga on that short run. Then I would put in two 15 Amp breakers as follows: The one on the right would only be to outlet box that my AC is plugged into. The breaker on the left would be the rest of the circuit in the trailer.

This seems like it would be a very easy upgrade to accomplish and well worth the effort.
Am I missing anything or would this be how it is done? Whole thing looks like it would be under $150 to accomplish.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #2

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
My Scamp 13 has 15 amp service, but I have a box with slots for two breakers and only one installed. From what I'm reading I should be able to add a Marinco 30 A inlet, a Locking cordset and bring 30 amp service to the inside breaker box using 10 ga on that short run. Then I would put in two 15 Amp breakers as follows: The one on the right would only be to outlet box that my AC is plugged into. The breaker on the left would be the rest of the circuit in the trailer.

This seems like it would be a very easy upgrade to accomplish and well worth the effort.
Am I missing anything or would this be how it is done? Whole thing looks like it would be under $150 to accomplish.
This should be an easy upgrade for you. Putting your AC on its own circuit is also a good idea. Is separate wiring already in place from the breaker panel to the AC or is it plugged into an outlet ? Is your 120V system part of a 12V converter or a stand alone breaker box?

I have the Marinco twistlock inlet with #10 wiring to the distribution panel and it works great. I particularly like the fact that the cordset can be disconnected and stored inside when I'm traveling and that I can use a short cordset to connect to the generator.

I mounted my inlet box on the tongue so I wouldn't have to cut another hole in the side of the camper. The power cord runs along the frame and under the camper then up through a weather tight fitting in the floor. You shouldn't have to do that though since you probably already have the hole in the wall for your current entry cover.

Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #3

Thanks for your response Orlen.
This has been on the project list and finally getting to it so I can separate the AC on its own breaker.
The AC is currently plugged into an outlet that is the first one coming straight out of the breaker box. The wire then comes out of that outlet box and completes the rest of the trailer. So I can leave that breaker wired to the AC outlet and remove the outbound wiring and pull that into the breaker box to the new 15 Amp breaker for the rest of the trailer. Seems like it would be easy and that Marinco cordset and inlet box look really deluxe. The 13 Scamp already has the inlet hole which looks to be the correct size for the Marinco 30 amp inlet so that should be a no-brainer.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hi Greg

What do you hope to gain with this project?

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Hi Greg

What do you hope to gain with this project?

-- Dan Meyer
Occasionally, if the AC is running and you run the Microwave it blows the breaker. Or if the better half runs her hair dryer while AC is on. Rewiring to 30 amp puts the AC on its own breaker and eliminates the issue entirely.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Greg, I have a question, I am so not a electrician but don't you also have to upgrade the wire to 30 amp? Only reason I ask is when we had the rv park, we had a guest who upgraded to 50 amp to his breakers but not the wire in the rig. The wire in the trailer couldn't carry the load almost started a fire. His poor wife was alone, he had flew home for a meeting and left her there with no idea about what he did. Thank Goodness the whole thing happened during the day and she heard it blow. Could have been a bad thing had it happened at night.

Also a little FYI sometime 30 amp isn't enough for our girlie stuff with the micro going LOL..... depends on the amp's of the curling iron. Some curling irons and blowdryers can be pull 12 amps. If you want I have a amp chart, it's not exact but is a great guideline for campers. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:37 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Actually, that's the way most small RVs are wired -- A 30A[at]120VAC shore cable and a breaker box with one breaker feeding converter, lights, etc., and the second breaker position available for a/c.

That's the way both my Scamp 13' and Jayco 16' were wired.

You might want to reconsider the use of those expensive Marinco fittings -- I have yet to have a conventional household 15A/20A/30A plug [at]120VAC come loose. Contrary to what I have read elsewhere, the Marinco fittings are NOT waterproof.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Greg, I have a question, I am so not a electrician but don't you also have to upgrade the wire to 30 amp? Only reason I ask is when we had the rv park, we had a guest who upgraded to 50 amp to his breakers but not the wire in the rig. The wire in the trailer couldn't carry the load almost started a fire. His poor wife was alone, he had flew home for a meeting and left her there with no idea about what he did. Thank Goodness the whole thing happened during the day and she heard it blow. Could have been a bad thing had it happened at night.
Robin,
The only wire you have to upgrade is the new 30A inlet to the internal breaker box and then a new 30 Amp external cordset. Coming out of the breaker box to the trailer wiring is normal 15 Amp service and doesn't need any changeout.

50 Amp is a whole different story...
Old 09-24-2008, 10:59 PM   #9

Quote:
You might want to reconsider the use of those expensive Marinco fittings -- I have yet to have a conventional household 15A/20A/30A plug [at]120VAC come loose. Contrary to what I have read elsewhere, the Marinco fittings are NOT waterproof.
Good suggestion Pete. Currently I use a 15 Amp twist lock that I picked up at the depot and glued into the existing scamp inlet. I then replaced one end of a 12/3 outdoor extension cord with the male twist lock and I've had no trouble with it for a year and a half. Keeps the ants outside as well.

I'll take a look at the similar setup at the depot and price it out.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Thanks Greg for the info.............. I just remembered all the guys talking about what a crazy thing the guy did and that it could have been a much worse outcome. From what I saw of the fried plugs/wires etc I thought it was pretty bad. So bad that I kept several components and had them on displayed in the office as a warning for others. Most people would come it and say, how did this happen? After I explained they would be like oh, I have one of those things. Only a few smart people knew what the guy had did. I just wouldn't want anyone to get hurt. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote