16' 1981 Scamp frame off restoration/rebuild - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I will probably get dinged for this but they sell the rubber sealant like FlexSeal all over now for about $12 a can. They spray a screen door with it and float a boat after it cures. I have seen a rustoleum version also. I am thinking about it for my bottom side. Perhaps you can seal the edges of the wood and not sure what to do with the top. I would seal it too as I hope to make my floor water tight. JMHO.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #22

Name: Greg
Trailer: Scamp
California
Wow. Looking pretty nice. I'm contemplating the same project maybe next summer. The one thing I really don't get though, is how to get the shell off. Since you've clearly just done it I'm hoping you might answer two questions. 1. How did you detach the shell from the frame? 2. How did you lift it off?
GrregP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #23

Name: Ken
Trailer: 1981 16' Scamp
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrregP View Post
Wow. Looking pretty nice. I'm contemplating the same project maybe next summer. The one thing I really don't get though, is how to get the shell off. Since you've clearly just done it I'm hoping you might answer two questions. 1. How did you detach the shell from the frame? 2. How did you lift it off?
To detach the shell from the frame I had to use a hole cutting drill around each screw that connected the floor to the frame because the screws were so rusted in. After that I had to do one cut near the door because there was a piece of wood was there that connected to the frame and had been fiberglassed into place. I couldn't get this out without cutting through the floor and that wood. There is also some wiring to the brakes that I had to remove.

To raise the body off of the frame I lifted the whole thing up, supported the body on the sides, then lowered the back end of the frame first so that I could slide in a support under the back end of the body. After that I lowered the front end and did the same thing. When the frame was completely lowered I took the wheels off the frame and rolled it out on the drums from underneath.

Before I did this I watched this video:

IdahoScamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #24

Name: Greg
Trailer: Scamp
California
Thanks for the detailed info! I'll watch the video this evening after work. So of I understand you correctly, the floor stayed with the shell when you dropped the frame down? Will you then have to cut the fiberglass that holds the floor to the shell? Sorry if I'm peppering you with too many questions, I'm just fascinated with the idea of doing this. If the video answers them then I'll find out tonight.
GrregP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #25

Name: Ken
Trailer: 1981 16' Scamp
Idaho
Yes, the floor is fiberglassed directly to the fiberglass body.
IdahoScamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp