16" Scamp frame needs new weld San Diego. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2017, 12:13 PM   #21

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
This is very sad and I wish you were near enough to help. There's lots of advice and opinions aren't there?
Maybe this will help....do you know any race car teams that do their own fabrication? Lots of them are good at welding and keeping themselves alive in a violent crash. They also most likely started with a flatbed rickety trailer requiring plenty of fixing and got experience there. You can look at a car in the shop and determine the quality of work...most are very good at it.
I'll tell you ahead, they'll wanna just copy it and replace and they're right...it needs it.
Painting a turd just leaves you with a turd...flush it.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've broken our frame and we've had it welded without removing the trailer body from the frame. Competent welders will not have a problem.

In our case they put a right angle piece of 1/4 inch steel along one side of the existing box beam. The right angle does not extend up to the floor allowing them to weld the top and bottom of the right angle piece. Once the frame is re-established I would add a fish tale to both ends of the frame. I suggest a fishtail on Scamp's strengthening attempt (the strengthening they do where the frame goes under the fiberglass shell). While at it I would add right angle steel the entire first 5 feet or at least up to the stair's steel.

Our original break was where Scamp kinks the beam to form the A shape. This is inherently a weak point and should have a gusset plate.

Our welder had a little spray bottle of water and just sprayed it when thing got warm. Absolutely no problem.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:43 PM   #23

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I guess you could scab a patch on. That's kinda what just refailed on this one though.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:45 PM   #24

Name: Jan
Trailer: Scamp - restored Aug. 2017
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiloni View Post
Hello,
The frame to our Scamp snapped and needs some
serious welding. Anyone know of a great place to take it
in San Diego? We are new in town...
I live in San Diego and needed the threshold completed redone and welded on my 13 ft Scamp. Found local Clairemont area welder Jared Seganti: jarednseganti@gmail.com

Email him and he will respond within 24 hrs. He is totally awesome with his own business and does all the work himself. He will come to you and work on your camper if you want. And, price is reasonable.

Jan
Jan C J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:01 PM   #25

Name: Nikki
Trailer: Scamp
California
Thank you everyone for all the advice. I wish I knew how to fix it but at least I am learning a ton along the way! Emailing jarednseganti@gmail right now..thanks for the tip Jan[emoji106]
I will post here with the outcome.
nikkiloni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp