1970 Campster pop top canvas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
1970 Campster pop top canvas

I have the old pop top vinyl canvas from the 1970 Trails West Campster that someone can have-just pay for shipping.
It would be good for a pattern-the zippers are broken and screen torn or patched but it is complete.
I am making a new top for our Campster with Velcro - no zippers.
This is more fun than doing dishes and cleaning house. Those things can wait.
Happy camping. Mrs. C
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I need to make one also. I was thinking about using Sumbrella for the material.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
Pop top canvas

I haven't found that brand-but have heard of it.
I am looking at water resistant shower curtains-fabric or maybe even vinyl ones.
An inexpensive way to go and use clear shower curtain cut to fit the windows.
I did this on our Compact Jr years ago and it worked well.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I found Sunbrella fabrics cheap on eBay.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I'm planning to do mine with something like nylon pack cloth with screen/plastic windows. No zippers, and I plan to attach the whole thing with Velcro so it isn't nailed in. (But as I can still live with the original it hasn't happened yet!)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #6

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Velcro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I'm planning to do mine with something like nylon pack cloth with screen/plastic windows. No zippers, and I plan to attach the whole thing with Velcro so it isn't nailed in. (But as I can still live with the original it hasn't happened yet!)
I'm interested to know if you have used the velcro and how it worked? Just bought a Compact II and it currently is stapled at the top to boards that are attached by screws to the pop-top.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #7

Registry
Well, so far I have learned that I need to staple on the velcro; the sticky stuff won't hold on the wood part (okay on the glass part.) Otherwise I like it okay. I haven't quite finished mine. I looked for a long time for an old tent to take apart for fabric but ended up buying some at Seattle Fabrics. It's a work in progress as it is usable but I put it up and take it down and make changes when I have time.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #8

Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Is the wood affixed to the pop-top with screws from the outside?
I just bought a 73 Compact II and it needs some TLC. I'm currently taking things apart and gathering ideas for putting it back together.
One picture shows the wood attached to the pop-top, one shows the outside with screws attaching the wood and the third shows the staples at the top of the apron.
I wonder if stapling the velcro to the wood would work? Or, is there a way to eliminate all the screws on the pop-top?
Attached Thumbnails
wood under pop top 2 small.jpg   pop top screws 1 small.jpg  

staples pop top apron 008 small.jpg  
Old 12-12-2014, 10:29 PM   #9

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
I have a 71 Campster and used velcro to attach the nylon. You do have to stable the nylon to the wood or it won't stick. I also used velcro for the screen window covering on the inside.

The bolts with washers through the top are the same on mine also. I am in the process of replacing them as a leak seemed to be developing. Some PO had covered some of the bolts with silicone so had so clean that off too. I think the bolts are the only way to attach the frame to the top.
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #10

Registry
I'm sure I'll have to staple the Velcro to the wood but I think once I quit taking it on and off all the time the Velcro will hold on the fiberglass.

Don't know how the wood is attached but I remember some screws so probably screwed or bolted to something.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #11

Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by teri85 View Post
I have a 71 Campster and used velcro to attach the nylon.You do have to stable the nylon to the wood or it won't stick. I also used velcro for the screen window covering on the inside.

The bolts with washers through the top are the same on mine also. I am in the process of replacing them as a leak seemed to be developing. Some PO had covered some of the bolts with silicone so had so clean that off too. I think the bolts are the only way to attach the frame to the top.
My brain is just not processing this, you used the velcro to attach the nylon to what?
Hate that silicone! I got some of the Motsenbockers to try. Up to this point I've just used razor blades and plastic scrapers. I've also got some great handpicks that help get under and lift the silicone. Haven't attacked the residue yet.

Yes, it appears that we have to attach the lifting mechanisms thru the pop-top roof. Butyl rubber works great in those applications. Just wish I could eliminate some of the other screws.

It occurred to me that there are posts about fiberglassing wood blocks to the inside of some trailers to be able to mount cabinets, hooks, etc. I wonder if you could fiberglass the wood to the roof of the pop-top?
Or, perhaps you could fiberglass in some of the synthetic materials that are not prone to rot? They are usually not structural, but could they withstand the stress of the pop-top material going up & down? Is there much stress on these members?
This is a picture of some synthetic trim material.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #12

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Sorry for not getting back to you. Last week of school before the holiday break and all.

There is a wooden frame around the opening and on the top and the velcro is stapled to the wooden frame. Hope that helps.
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #13

Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Understand. Time for a little R&R now!
Sounds like the same way that mine is.
I've been throwing around some ideas in my brain. There is another set of wood pieces at the edge of the inside of my pop up. I was wondering about changing the apron to stretch out to those pieces. I may try it with some scraps from my stash. If it works, I'll have a pattern.
Attached Thumbnails
alternate attachment.jpg  

Tags
campster