1972 Boler American practical resto! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #1

Name: Cesar
Trailer: Boler American
Oregon
1972 Boler American practical resto!

Hi all,

Recently we became the owners of a started-by-someone-else project. There has been a bit of work put it here but most of it has been in the "demolition" phase, I get to do the restoration. The trailer is a 72 Boler American. Even though the interior is gutted, the trailer came with 95% of the original FG fixtures and appliances. Our plan is to do a restoration with a mind towards practicality for us (Me, wife, dog). We are optimistic about the pace and hope we can have a camp-able trailer for the end of summer and into fall. We shall see how far that optimism takes us.

The current plan, somewhat in chronological order but subject to change:
-Remove body from frame (Cesar and co.)
-Have frame repaired, new axle with brakes installed, painted (outsourced)
-Reinstall body (Cesar and co.)
-Patch wood floors (Cesar and co.)
-Lay out electrical and plumbing (Cesar and co.)
-Remove all windows (Cesar and co.)
-Have shell and interior FG painted (outsourced)
-Reassemble all interior FG, complete interior work (Cesar and co.)

Our priorities are, in order of importance:
-Practicality and fit to our needs (ie two batteries and efficient appliances for off site camping)
-Future proofing (ie prewire for solar)
-Resale value (ie we probably won't ever need a 110v circuit, but its easy to do and adds appeal for when the time comes to part ways)

I will post updates as things get done. I have noticed that this forum is full of helpful people, and look forward to gain more knowledge and perhaps share some of my own with you. Below a photo of the trailer the day we go it, basically unchanged right now.

Cesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:42 PM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Reminds us of Peanut in 2015-2016 before we'd gotten through our list. Best to you! Bolers are always so cute!

Kai
"K"
Old 03-24-2019, 08:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar View Post
We are optimistic about the pace and hope we can have a camp-able trailer for the end of summer and into fall. We shall see how far that optimism takes us.

The current plan, somewhat in chronological order but subject to change:
-Remove body from frame (Cesar and co.)
-Have frame repaired, new axle with brakes installed, painted (outsourced)
-Patch wood floors (Cesar and co.)
-

Thoughts:
While you are working on it, keep in mind what DonnaD posted that kept me going "consider it a hard tent on wheels"

If the body is off, consider replacing the wood floors. Jean-L says it helped with his body bulge / door fit I see on yours. You will get a better idea once the two are separated. On mine there was a disconnect of components near the door opening on the right or hinge side. You should see a small piece of plywood that attaches to the metal upright and the body side wall.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #4

Oregon
Hi all,

We have been slowly chipping away at this little guy, and finally separated the body/frame. It wasn't too bad. The frame is in great shape, not bends, or crack. I will reinforce some areas for piece of mind as well as replace the ball receiver and more importantly the axle.

Question about the axle: The trailer has 3 matching, white, 13" rims which are 4-4.00. I've notice that almost all axle replacements people do will go to brakes and 5-4.50 rims. Is there a reason I should order the replacement axle with brakes AND 4-4.00 hubs? At first I thought that brakes were only offered with 5 bolt, but my dexter dealer has the option of either bolt pattern on the 7" brakes.

Here are some pics of the slow progress.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:39 PM   #5

Oregon
Well some work has been done! The frame looks to be in great shape! doing some reinforcement and axle replacement this weekend. Then paint!

What is the appropriate "weather-strip" for in between the frame and body? I have read somewhere that people use the same tape as truck bed canopies, but isn't that stuff super soft and more foam than rubber? Can someone chime in?

In terms of progress (will try to do photos soon...)
-Remove body from frame (Cesar and co.)- Complete
-Have frame repaired, new axle with brakes installed, painted (outsourced) 50% complete
-Patch wood floors (Cesar and co.) 30% Complete
-Lay out electrical and plumbing (Cesar and co.) 10% Complete
-Remove all windows (Cesar and co.) Complete
-Have shell and interior FG painted (outsourced)
-Reassemble all interior FG, complete interior work (Cesar and co.)
Old 09-15-2020, 11:30 AM   #6

Oregon
A couple photo updates

1: Frame was cleaned, reinforced, new axle welded in, new tongue, jack, chains. Painted. August 2019

2:Body was set back on the frame and reattached with more substantial hardware. Sept 2019

3: Painted, July 2020

4: Getting it back together: Sept 2020

Old 09-15-2020, 11:42 AM   #7

Oregon
A couple from july 2019 (i am really destroying any chance this thread can be read chronologically, sorry)....

Getting some repairs and a new axle. Did the tried and true configuration for axle replacements: Trailing arm dexter torsion, 7" brakes (with 4 lug drums so i can keep the wheels that came with the trailer).

Old 05-11-2021, 10:28 AM   #8

Oregon
More From September 2020:

Maxxair fan installed and scrapping old glue... there is a rung of hell where this is the punishment!

Installed headliner

Making the front and rear wall coverings

Installing windows and polishing waist band trim

Old 05-11-2021, 10:33 AM   #9

Oregon
May 2021:

Installed front and rear wall coverings. routing trailer lights and service electrical. Still a long ways to go.

Kitchenette area also got covered and the insulation behind the upper cabinets is painted white since it wasnt to be covered with carpet, we thought white paint was better than shiny foil. Oh, dome light also installed.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:59 AM   #10

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
subscribed to this thread.. keep em coming
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:29 AM   #11

Oregon
Gotta keep going while motivation is high. Also, finally warm enough to use contact cement.

Old 06-15-2021, 12:14 PM   #12

Oregon
Well- I've done a bit of work and its almost campable. So much so that we are taking a trip this weekend. Just have to install the window that goes in the door and bolt the plywood drop floor down. Still needs a lot of finishing touches but taking it out will give us extra motivation i think.

More wall covering - May 2021

Propping up the roof to install the cabinets and closet. Not everything lined up as it originally was. But it was good enough and after installing the door i think the gaps are acceptable, though not perfect.

Propane an battery brackets

And I had a little bit of fun. The previous owner who had started the renovations removed one of the studs for the spare tire but left one in. In my ignorance, I thought the single stud held the spare so it was left there and the body work completed with the stud there. I came to the realization that this was not going to work (we will carry the spare in the TV, maybe install a bracket under the trailer TBD) so i was left with an eye sore of a stud sticking out the back. After careful consideration, the below was our solution to cover it up.

Old 06-15-2021, 12:17 PM   #13

Oregon
Now a question - My plan is to have a couple rubbermaid containers with "trailer stuff" that i transport inside the trailer. I have a hunch they are going to slide around and overall make a mess. Has anyone added tie down hoops inside the trailer to keep additional cargo in place? Bad/good/ugly? I am using click vinyl flooring, so i could install one in each corner of the flush kind. Just looking for ideas/suggestions before i go to HD and buy a pack of small D-rings and screw them to the vertical walls of the drop floor...
Old 06-15-2021, 12:54 PM   #14

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Hi Cesar, beautiful work!
I but tubs under the dinette, but it is always made up as a bed. My solution is simple, I attached bungee cords (elastic hook cords) to the front two corners of the end tub and l loop the elastic around a coat hook I fastened to the underside of the table.
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:12 PM   #15

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Put simple tie down points on the lower dinette benches. Then store the tubs under the table (in down position for transport). Simple strap or bungee cord and you are set.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:20 AM   #16

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar View Post
Well- I've done a bit of work and its almost campable. So much so that we are taking a trip this weekend. Just have to install the window that goes in the door and bolt the plywood drop floor down. Still needs a lot of finishing touches but taking it out will give us extra motivation i think.

More wall covering - May 2021

Propping up the roof to install the cabinets and closet. Not everything lined up as it originally was. But it was good enough and after installing the door i think the gaps are acceptable, though not perfect.

Propane an battery brackets

And I had a little bit of fun. The previous owner who had started the renovations removed one of the studs for the spare tire but left one in. In my ignorance, I thought the single stud held the spare so it was left there and the body work completed with the stud there. I came to the realization that this was not going to work (we will carry the spare in the TV, maybe install a bracket under the trailer TBD) so i was left with an eye sore of a stud sticking out the back. After careful consideration, the below was our solution to cover it up.

That spare tire is so funny and adorable. Love your creativity.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:55 AM   #17

Oregon
I was hoping someone would bite! I was very excited for this mini project.

Test 3D printing the wheel (i bought the tire from Ebay, it was a promotial "ashtray" from years gone by. There was a glass ashtray portion instead of a rim). I was doing test prints with a quick 3D model just to make sure it would work at all, before spending too much time modeling a better looking wheel.

Pardon the burrito trash.

With a successful test, I created a model that closer resembled the wheels on the trailer (i gave myself a strict 90min limit on the modeling part, i couldve spent days making it better!) also painted the raised lettering yellow, its more Goodyear-y i think.

Satisfied with this print (it took me like 10 total prints to get it there) I primed and painted. Again, could have spent a lot more time smoothing the layers with filler and sanding, but it was good enough for a joke spare tire. Also cut the stud shorter and added a stainless acorn nut.

Old 06-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #18

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Very cool. Love that it was made.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 09:31 PM   #19

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Cesar, Great work!!

I love the mini wheel. I have one of those ash trays, different brand but a great idea. I wonder if your plastic steelie will fit mine?

There are some great pictures in this thread. Post #8 has 2 that I will snag & crop to use later. Hopefully I can get your permission.

There is one that really shows the notch for the furnace in the streetside wheel well that I think is unique to the boler American.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm_Notch_Cropped.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	150519

Another one is looking forward with the front bench missing. It will be helpful in explaining partly what is behind the body bulge and door sag.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm_Forward_View.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	150518
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 01:43 PM   #20

Oregon
Roy- Totally! i have learned a lot of useful info just from looking at photos of other restos. Happy that a few of mine can be of use to others

Tags
boler