Registry
You got that right Jay. We tell ourselves that daily here

bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:30 AM   #62

Name: Steven
Trailer: 79 Boler "Van Gogh"
on Ontario
Registry
Great job on those outside holes. I'm planning the same in a few weeks. Nice seeing how it can be done. Thanks

steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:48 AM   #63

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Paint

The decision to paint Lita was an easy one. The number of fractures and dings in her original fiberglass and subsequent repairs made it inevitable. Also it looked like the PO had already repainted the upper shell at one point. The bigger decision was what to paint her with. I thought long and hard about this. Do I get a professional spray job done? Do I spray it myself? Do I roll and tip? And what kind of paint?

Bottom line was I wasn't prepared to spend the $$ on a professional paint job for a 47 year old trailer that I did not need to be in showroom condition. I just wanted it clean and fresh and all her scars covered Spraying it myself was an option but although I have sprayed paint in the past I just didn't trust my skill level for a big project and didn't have the equipment or space available to spray.

That left rolling/tipping. Decision made. Now what to paint her with?

I've used Interlux Brightside in the past (on my Vancouver 27 topsides when I used to have a hole in the water I threw money into ) and was happy with it but I was looking for a paint that gives me an option for custom tinting as I wanted to stay with something close to the original olive green bottom but maybe a bit brighter. Petit's version had a few more color options but still not what I was looking for. Here in western Canada we have Cloverdale Paint and they have a tintable urethane based marine enamel that some have used and apparently has good wearablity so I thought I might give that a go. Worst case scenario it doesn't last, I sand it down and paint with something else.

I wanted to see how it would look before I leapt into painting the entire trailer so decided I would start with my gravel guard. I had it already primed and the new stainless hardware from Camping Treasures installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gravelguard1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	134720

Topside color was chosen to be Signal White and I did a few different coats with rolling (with a foam roller) , rolling and tipping with a bristle brush, rolling and tipping with a foam brush and finally rolling and over rolling with a dry foam roller. Okay that's a lot of coats on the gravel guard). .

So what was the upshot? Just rolling it was fine and over rolling with a dry roller was good too. It spread out well and although it wasn't as flat as a spray finish it looked good... When I added in the tipping it just didn't look right. Maybe that's just me and the way I tipped it but I think just rolling it turned out better.

With the fresh new paint and new hardware and trim. I give the gravel guard a big thumbs up.

Name:	gravelguard2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	134721

Name:	gravelguard3.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	134722

The Cloverdale marine enamel is certainly less expensive than the Interlux although as I said that's not why I chose it. Seems to go on fine and from all reports I've dug up holds up well. So I'll give it a go. I'm holding off painting until the fall because I'm hoping to get out on the road this summer and also I still have some bodywork to do on the bottom half.

Here's hoping the island opens up soon!! Fingers crossed!!
Old 05-17-2020, 12:43 PM   #64

Name: Dee
Trailer: Boler 1300H
British Columbia
I'm so excited to hear about the Cloverdale tintable marine paint! I've looked at Interlux ($$$) and Rustoleum, but they have such limited colours. Can I ask which location you bought it at?
The gravel guard looks really good. I look forward to seeing how the full paint job turns out!
Deesquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:13 PM   #65

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Steve! It was pretty straightforward so go for it!!
Old 05-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #66

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Dee! I think you should be able to get it at just about any branch. I got it at our local store here on VI. The color tint options were on the industrial color selector pamphlet. Lots of choices. Not massive but a good selection of colors available compared to interlux/Petit.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #67

Name: Dee
Trailer: Boler 1300H
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdobqb View Post
Hi Dee! I think you should be able to get it at just about any branch. I got it at our local store here on VI. The color tint options were on the industrial color selector pamphlet. Lots of choices. Not massive but a good selection of colors available compared to interlux/Petit.
I went to the local Cloverdale paints today, and they were very helpful! The guy there recommended 'Multi-Master' paint, which is a polyurethane enamel. It sounds like the perfect paint for me: it's self priming, tintable, and costs half as much as Interlux Topside!
Deesquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:36 PM   #68

British Columbia
Registry
Cool!! Definitely let me know how it works out for you Dee.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #69

Name: Bing
Trailer: Sunland Express
Minnesota
Following

Thanks for all the info of the work on "The Ol' Gal". It has been interesting see you solve problems and having them turn out looking so great. Waiting to see the final chapters of the revival.
You are lucky to be so talented and to have talented friends and family to carry your project forward. Slowly but surely it's coming around to be the swan in the duck family.
Best to you and will be looking for the finishing touches.Take care and God bless.
Bing M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #70

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Bing. Thanks so much! Glad you're enjoying my updates. It's definitely a labor of love and I'm sitting in Lita right now as I plan some upcoming projects for her The big paint project will be on the backburner until the fall but she's ready to roll when things open up a bit more here. Can't wait!!

Tags
boler