1973 Boler 1300 updating - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #61

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler 1300
British Columbia
Registry
You got that right Jay. We tell ourselves that daily here
bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:30 AM   #62

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
Great job on those outside holes. I'm planning the same in a few weeks. Nice seeing how it can be done. Thanks
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:48 AM   #63

British Columbia
Registry
Paint

The decision to paint Lita was an easy one. The number of fractures and dings in her original fiberglass and subsequent repairs made it inevitable. Also it looked like the PO had already repainted the upper shell at one point. The bigger decision was what to paint her with. I thought long and hard about this. Do I get a professional spray job done? Do I spray it myself? Do I roll and tip? And what kind of paint?

Bottom line was I wasn't prepared to spend the $$ on a professional paint job for a 47 year old trailer that I did not need to be in showroom condition. I just wanted it clean and fresh and all her scars covered Spraying it myself was an option but although I have sprayed paint in the past I just didn't trust my skill level for a big project and didn't have the equipment or space available to spray.

That left rolling/tipping. Decision made. Now what to paint her with?

I've used Interlux Brightside in the past (on my Vancouver 27 topsides when I used to have a hole in the water I threw money into ) and was happy with it but I was looking for a paint that gives me an option for custom tinting as I wanted to stay with something close to the original olive green bottom but maybe a bit brighter. Petit's version had a few more color options but still not what I was looking for. Here in western Canada we have Cloverdale Paint and they have a tintable urethane based marine enamel that some have used and apparently has good wearablity so I thought I might give that a go. Worst case scenario it doesn't last, I sand it down and paint with something else.

I wanted to see how it would look before I leapt into painting the entire trailer so decided I would start with my gravel guard. I had it already primed and the new stainless hardware from Camping Treasures installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gravelguard1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	134720

Topside color was chosen to be Signal White and I did a few different coats with rolling (with a foam roller) , rolling and tipping with a bristle brush, rolling and tipping with a foam brush and finally rolling and over rolling with a dry foam roller. Okay that's a lot of coats on the gravel guard). .

So what was the upshot? Just rolling it was fine and over rolling with a dry roller was good too. It spread out well and although it wasn't as flat as a spray finish it looked good... When I added in the tipping it just didn't look right. Maybe that's just me and the way I tipped it but I think just rolling it turned out better.

With the fresh new paint and new hardware and trim. I give the gravel guard a big thumbs up.

Name:	gravelguard2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	134721

Name:	gravelguard3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	134722

The Cloverdale marine enamel is certainly less expensive than the Interlux although as I said that's not why I chose it. Seems to go on fine and from all reports I've dug up holds up well. So I'll give it a go. I'm holding off painting until the fall because I'm hoping to get out on the road this summer and also I still have some bodywork to do on the bottom half.

Here's hoping the island opens up soon!! Fingers crossed!!
Old 05-17-2020, 12:43 PM   #64

Name: Dee
Trailer: Boler 1300H
British Columbia
I'm so excited to hear about the Cloverdale tintable marine paint! I've looked at Interlux ($$$) and Rustoleum, but they have such limited colours. Can I ask which location you bought it at?
The gravel guard looks really good. I look forward to seeing how the full paint job turns out!
Deesquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:13 PM   #65

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Steve! It was pretty straightforward so go for it!!
Old 05-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #66

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Dee! I think you should be able to get it at just about any branch. I got it at our local store here on VI. The color tint options were on the industrial color selector pamphlet. Lots of choices. Not massive but a good selection of colors available compared to interlux/Petit.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #67

Name: Dee
Trailer: Boler 1300H
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdobqb View Post
Hi Dee! I think you should be able to get it at just about any branch. I got it at our local store here on VI. The color tint options were on the industrial color selector pamphlet. Lots of choices. Not massive but a good selection of colors available compared to interlux/Petit.
I went to the local Cloverdale paints today, and they were very helpful! The guy there recommended 'Multi-Master' paint, which is a polyurethane enamel. It sounds like the perfect paint for me: it's self priming, tintable, and costs half as much as Interlux Topside!
Deesquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:36 PM   #68

British Columbia
Registry
Cool!! Definitely let me know how it works out for you Dee.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #69

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Following

Thanks for all the info of the work on "The Ol' Gal". It has been interesting see you solve problems and having them turn out looking so great. Waiting to see the final chapters of the revival.
You are lucky to be so talented and to have talented friends and family to carry your project forward. Slowly but surely it's coming around to be the swan in the duck family.
Best to you and will be looking for the finishing touches.Take care and God bless.
Bing M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #70

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Bing. Thanks so much! Glad you're enjoying my updates. It's definitely a labor of love and I'm sitting in Lita right now as I plan some upcoming projects for her The big paint project will be on the backburner until the fall but she's ready to roll when things open up a bit more here. Can't wait!!
Old 06-17-2020, 06:42 PM   #71

Name: Susan
Trailer: ECO 13'
Arizona
Registry
Bob,
I love what you've done with your Boler. I'm working on my 1973 ECO and I just removed the linoleum. I was about to start polishing the aluminum trim but I like the look of what you did in yours. What did you use as the trim for the floor?
Thanks-Susan
Susan in Flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:12 AM   #72

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Susan! So happy you like what we've done with Lita.

For the trim around the vinyl flooring we cut down some of the maple boards we used for the cupboard and closet doors to 3/4 x 1/2 inch strips and then used a router with a bullnose bit to round over the edge. Worked well and tied in the rest of the maple.

I could have probably tracked down some maple trim moulding but then I would have had to pay for it.

Just used construction adhesive to attach it. It's holding up well.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:32 PM   #73

British Columbia
Registry
Lita's final tweaks - inside that is

I think Lita's interior is finally done. Well pretty much except for redoing the cushions. We're on the search for the right fabric but as it stands we can live with the current ugly pinkish cushions for another season

I was really thinking that it made sense to shorten the table to maybe make it a bit roomier in Lita. Still needed the total length for the bed so I cut 8 inches off the rear of the table and use that as a shelf for when the table is up. It gives plenty of room for 2 when the table is up and we could still fit another couple of people at the table if needed. And it really makes Lita seem a little roomier.

Name:	table1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	135660

Once I had the table cut down I looked at the table itself and thought it needed to be spruced up. I replaced the old ratty trim with some new maple trim and painted the table top a cool retro green. Way back when I had a sailboat one of the fellows at the marina had a really cool setup for his charts when he was sailing. He put the current chart he was using under a sheet of clear acrylic on his galley table and then would use a wax pencil to mark his course when navigating. He could wipe the wax pencil off the acrylic and his charts stayed pristine.

I thought I'd like to borrow the idea and got a piece of acrylic cut to size and can put topo maps for the areas we're camping in (or whatever) under the acrylic to spruce up the tabletop. I like it!

Name:	table2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	135661

I also painted and re-trimmed the extra "shelf" under the table and it will be a great spot to store the crib board or books or bag of chips

Name:	table3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	135662

A couple of other customizations and we were done. I grabbed a scrap chunk of live edge maple and made a small (and removable) shelf under the media center.

Name:	shelf.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	135663

And to finish things off, with some scrap steel I fabricated a little multifunctional unit for the entrance door area. It's got coat hooks, a spot to hang keys or whatever and a section of chalkboard (finally found a use for the chalkboard paint I bought YEARS ago )

Name:	hooks.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	135664

So I guess you could say that the interior is now done! At least I think so... For now.... I'm pretty sure I'll find something else to play with but for now I'm done

I'm on to the exterior work now which is pretty much filling in cracks and divots. Not super exciting, but definitely needs to be done before the paint goes on. That'll happen this fall. Time to get camping here on the island now that restrictions are being lifted.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:19 PM   #74

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I love what you did with the table. How is your table attached in the back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdobqb View Post
I think Lita's interior is finally done. Well pretty much except for redoing the cushions. We're on the search for the right fabric but as it stands we can live with the current ugly pinkish cushions for another season

I was really thinking that it made sense to shorten the table to maybe make it a bit roomier in Lita. Still needed the total length for the bed so I cut 8 inches off the rear of the table and use that as a shelf for when the table is up. It gives plenty of room for 2 when the table is up and we could still fit another couple of people at the table if needed. And it really makes Lita seem a little roomier.

Attachment 135660

Once I had the table cut down I looked at the table itself and thought it needed to be spruced up. I replaced the old ratty trim with some new maple trim and painted the table top a cool retro green. Way back when I had a sailboat one of the fellows at the marina had a really cool setup for his charts when he was sailing. He put the current chart he was using under a sheet of clear acrylic on his galley table and then would use a wax pencil to mark his course when navigating. He could wipe the wax pencil off the acrylic and his charts stayed pristine.

I thought I'd like to borrow the idea and got a piece of acrylic cut to size and can put topo maps for the areas we're camping in (or whatever) under the acrylic to spruce up the tabletop. I like it!

Attachment 135661

I also painted and re-trimmed the extra "shelf" under the table and it will be a great spot to store the crib board or books or bag of chips

Attachment 135662

A couple of other customizations and we were done. I grabbed a scrap chunk of live edge maple and made a small (and removable) shelf under the media center.

Attachment 135663

And to finish things off, with some scrap steel I fabricated a little multifunctional unit for the entrance door area. It's got coat hooks, a spot to hang keys or whatever and a section of chalkboard (finally found a use for the chalkboard paint I bought YEARS ago )

Attachment 135664

So I guess you could say that the interior is now done! At least I think so... For now.... I'm pretty sure I'll find something else to play with but for now I'm done

I'm on to the exterior work now which is pretty much filling in cracks and divots. Not super exciting, but definitely needs to be done before the paint goes on. That'll happen this fall. Time to get camping here on the island now that restrictions are being lifted.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #75

Name: Susan
Trailer: ECO 13'
Arizona
Registry
Bob,
You have given me more ideas of things to do to me '73! I shortened my table to have more room getting in and out but was not happy with the extra board added to the front for bed support and it would fall out when traveling. Your idea to add to the back is brilliant-hats off! Then, the shelf added to the media center, AND the chalkboard/key hanger at the door AND the plexiglass on the table. I'd like to copy all!!
Also, thanks for the info on your trim. I'm almost to that part of my project.
Susan in Flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #76

British Columbia
Registry
Hi MarkZ! Glad you like the table tweaks. Actually borrowed the shortening idea from a boler person I follow on instagram.

The table connects with what I think is just a standard removable rail system for trailers. One piece mounts on the table and that just locks into the piece on the back shell. You can find them on amazon and probably at any RV place I would imagine.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #77

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Susan. Glad you like! Feel free to use or adapt any or all of my ideas. I'm just having fun tweaking Lita to be just what we want

Had our first overnight since the interior was finished and we gave her a big thumbs up! Can't find anything we need to change right now (I'm sure that won't last )
Old 07-16-2020, 06:03 AM   #78

Name: Marya
Trailer: '72 Boler
Ontario
Hi Bob, Thanks for the great updates. I was hoping you could help me with some insight on the underside of your floor. We have just replaced the plywood floor and we have fiberglassed the upside/interior lip to secure it in. But we are stuck on what the best way to get at the bottom/road side. Did you do any fiberglassing on the road side of your floor during your renos? If so do you have any suggestions. If flipping on it’s side really the best option??
Thanks for your help!!!
MaryaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #79

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Marya. Glad you're enjoying the progress!

The floor of Lita was in really good shape so I didn't have to do any repairs there. But I did remove the frame so the bottom was certainly accessible for me. The bottom side of the floor is fiberglassed with rough chopped strand mat. I personally wouldn't want to flip it on it's side. I'd just lift it and pull the frame out.

I think when we pulled the frame out from under we ended up lifting the shell up just a couple of feet but you could certainly lift it up and block it higher which would make it easier to get underneath and do any glasswork you want. Of course if you're doing this in a standard garage that might be a problem. The bonus of pulling the frame out is that you can really check it for any cracks or issues and redo the shell to frame mounts if needed. That's probably good to do in an almost 50 year old trailer.

When we decided to pull Lita off her frame we found that most of the mounting screws (which went through the frame rails) were almost gone so we welded new mounting tabs on and replaced the #12 screws with 5/16 bolts. Way more secure!!

All the best on your ongoing work. Would love to see pics of what you're up to as well. These little trailers really are a labour of love!

By all means get in touch again if you want/need to

Bob
Old 07-16-2020, 10:05 AM   #80

Name: Marya
Trailer: '72 Boler
Ontario
Thanks so much for your reply Bob. We do have the frame out and my husband has just finished building a new one. We are waiting for the new axel to arrive to get it all reassembled.
The shell is just sitting on jacks now so I think you’re right blocking it up higher is probably the best way to go. Now that my husband has fiberglassed the top side of the plywood, I’m a little more confident in its strength to lift and rock it... a little bit. It just seems so tipsy when there is no floor in it at all haha.
I’m still not comfortable with tipping it on it’s side, although that is the only thing I have seen someone do on YouTube.
We will lift higher and see how we go. Thanks again for your reply. It’s comforting just knowing that someone with more experience than us is thinking along the same lines.
I will post some pics tonight when we are back at it
Marya
MaryaM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler