1973 boler re-re-re?-re-do??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2021, 10:01 PM   #1

Name: Rod
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
1973 boler re-re-re?-re-do???

Hello everyone, appears I am in the right spot to post this so here goes...
I redid the bare essentials when I got my trailer 15ish years ago, Fairly rough. Redid some fibreglass,ignored the wiring rats nest and threw in some taillights and a basic flat four plug. An air mattress for a bed and nothing else... I still refer to it as my “hard tent” in time I braved some of the wiring, added a propex heater, did cushions and curtains... looked the other way on some glaring issues, and generally enjoyed the absolute heck out of it. It’s has earned a redo and so I have been picking away at it over the last year or so. New frame last year, floor replacement as we speak, and more to come.will post some pictures here n there.
Van isle mtb guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:23 PM   #2

British Columbia
Frame

Old frame, bent down 2” on rear left, broken clean off at front with 1/4” plating poorly done from who knows when. Rust holes at mid and rear underside. New frame is same modulus, but 1/8” wall, and addresses some issues.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2021, 06:29 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Locking good. I like your approach. Repairs snd upgrades are good, but camping first!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:04 PM   #4

British Columbia
Sad frowning frame

String line does not lie
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2021, 01:14 PM   #5

British Columbia
Must have been a sad trip when this happened

As a metal fabricator... this “repair” was preeeeeety tough to take seriously. I knew going in that the front frames were prone to cracking, and the 1/4” flat bar was likely hiding horrors... it did not disappoint when the body came off.
Attached Thumbnails
3613B1FF-3C57-4BD9-9A68-AA8ED4DF10D5.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2021, 01:22 PM   #6

British Columbia
Got wood?

Old wood out back was rotten on the left side... likely a combination of a minor window leak, some repaired glass in this corner, and being an early model, the wood is fully exposed top and bottom except for the 4” “tabbing” above and below the perimeter. I plan to glass all the wood top and bottom for a full bathtub.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2021, 06:07 AM   #7

Name: Gus
Ontario
Hi, I have a '74 and am following a similar route: Do a little work - do a little camping. I have been considering a Propex but have yet to make the leap. Which model did you install, the 2200 or the 2211? Where did you install it and are you happy with it, especially with regards to effectiveness, noise and power consumption?

Thanks!
kramg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:43 PM   #8

British Columbia
Propex

I debated between the 2000 & 2800 for some time... the price and size of the 2800 was only a bit more, and I tent camp in the summer... boler is for the other three seasons generally. It gets very wet out here on the rain coast.if I did it again I would go 2000 as the 2800 will roast you right out of the trailer if you want. My trailer did not have a fridge or icebox when I bought it, so I removed the lower drawer of the three built in its place and mounted it there. During this rebuild I will be moving it to one of three locations, as I am going to instal some type of fridge in the original spot... above the wheel as is original? In the closet above the wheel opposite side? Or under the front gaucho? I am yet undecided. Anyhow... performance. It sips the propane (efficient) so that’s nice, it does use a bit more battery than I would like as the fan runs as soon as it comes on and then runs after until the burner has cooled. You can run just the fan if you want to circulate air which is nice tho. I do not have numbers for you as I do not have gauges n such wired in. I will say that a single deep cycle battery lasted 6 days of using it most every night in soggy Tofino first trip out and had juice left with no recharging system of any type. Noise? Well, when running it’s actually a pretty soothing low growl... I do wish it didn’t have to keep blowing on cool down cycle after as that is a bit louder. I guess it depends how light of a sleeper, and where you mount it. ( part of why I am debating on mounting it below the floor, beneath the gaucho, further from the bed. Don’t get me wrong... it’s not like sleeping at an airport runway, I just prefer natural night sounds like rustling leaves, and the sound of pebbles being clawed back into the ocean after the thwooooggggggssshhhhhhhhhh of the waves)
Old 10-29-2021, 08:51 PM   #9

British Columbia
Addition to your question

Just reread your question and yes, I am happy with my purchase. It was an easy instal as it so neatly/tightly packaged, and a very complete simple kit... has worked flawlessly.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:57 AM   #10

Ontario
Thanks for the info, glad to hear the propex has worked well. I was living in Victoria when I bought my Boler so can relate to the advantage of having a heater in the rainy season. As I still have and will likely keep (or replace with a fridge) the icebox your location won't work for me. I've looked at the kitchen cabinet where the old furnace was, but, the Propex's configuration of air and gas in and outlets makes that an awkward spot. I too am looking at under the front goucho, but, inside the storage area there. I figure mounting it outside, which you can do with the 2211, brings with it a whole new set of issues. With winter approaching I won't get a chance to look at it again until the spring, but, will watch your thread with interest.

Cheers!
Old 11-03-2021, 09:16 PM   #11

British Columbia
Propex

My thoughts...
Could the smaller 2000 series be mounted on its side above the wheel house and below the sink, with the inlet and outlet for burned gas facing the front of the trailer, missing the sink drain. Exhaust makes a 90 and heads out the side, intake could snake around to wherever and exit through side or floor? Would not effect fridge at all?
Old 11-03-2021, 09:20 PM   #12

British Columbia
Propex

The two large heat outlets would be more or less in the original location for the original heater
Old 11-08-2021, 08:45 AM   #13

Ontario
Won't work for the 2000 as it can only be mounted flat. It might work for the 2211. It's a little larger, but, if I remember correctly, can be mounted vertically - not sure about on it's side. Will have to reread the manual (it's been a while since I looked at it) and maybe do a mock-up. May have to wait until the spring as I have a lot on my plate at the moment and once the snow flies I will no longer have access to the trailer.

Tags
boler