Repost history continued:
I decided the first step in my restoration was to do a deep clean. I felt a good cleaning would also help me determine what repairs or changes were needed as I began my restoration.
I first swept layers of several years worth of dust dirt and trash from the windows
being broken. I threw away the sun rotted cushons and curtains, and the cracked Sears portapotty. As I was cleaning I noticed larve shells everywhere. When I removed the boards from the left dinette seat, I discovered the petrified remains of a cat wedged between the water tank and the front wall of the seat. I continued cleaning using bleach to disinfect the trailer.
Once I had thoroughly cleaned, I began to plan my restoration. Because the windows had been broken, water had ruined the dining area wood so it had to go. The back door windows were also broken so the lenoleum and flooring was deteriorated and showed signs of rot.
system was old and the 12 volt system was not working at all.
Well to make a long story short this is the list of things that had to be done:
Remove body from frame
Build new frame
Replace broken glass
reseal all windows and openings
remove grafitti from body
Polish outside of body.
upgrade 110 volt electrical
replace 12 volt electrical
replace tail and clearance lights
repair or replace water pump to sink
flush and sanatize water tank
repair/replace windows in pop up
repair fiberglass as needed
replace dinette seating
replace jack stand with swing away
refurbish cabinet woodwork
My first priority was to clean the grafitti from the outside and polish the fiberglass so it would not looks as offensive to the neighborhood or more especially my wife.
The grafitti came off using goof off and some elbow grease. The fiberglass was tough to polish as it was pretty badly oxidized. I cleaned as best I could using several fiberglass cleaners but it would not shine. I finally used a Protectant product which gave it a little sheen. It passed the wife test so I was on to the next project of removing the body from the frame.
I raised the frame on jack stands and removed 16 5/16 bolts holding the body to the frame.
All of them were pretty badly rusted and several broke off. I then blocked the body using plywood to spread the support so as not to crack the fiberglass. I then lowered the frame down. I then used two 4x4x8 beams which I positioned on the jackstands at the front and rear of the body, between the body and the lowered frame. The frame still would not come out so I removed the tires and axle
from the frame. I placed a flat 4 wheel dolly under the frame and was able to then roll the frame out from under the trailer. I set the frame aside so I could use it later as a pattern for the new frame. I then adjusted the body on the 4x4s so it would be level on the driveway while I was working on it.
My next project was to get new glass for the windows. The front window frame had been removed by the previous owner so I took the frame to a local glass shop for a bid on replacing the glass. They quoted almost $100.00 for three 16"x16" windows. I decided to look on line for a web site giving glass cutting information and decided to try my hand at it.
The key to glass cutting is to use a good sharp tool and a large flat serface to work on. I was able to cut all seven windows including buying the glass cutting tool for about the same price as the first quote. Four of the seven window panels I replaced had radius corners and and I was able to cut them out ok. I then remounted and sealed the window frames to the body. The glass cut and install took about two weekends to complete.
I will close this repost for now and continue later when I can try to post pictures.