1974 boler restoration (start to finish) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 1973 Boler 13 ft
I should add that I am currently also replacing the can door latch assembly with one I ordered from Vintage Trailer Supply on-line and find it is an exact duplicate of the original.
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #22

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
siris,

where did u get a fantastic vent that doesnt hang 1.5" or so into the trailer, if u look at those vents the flange where it bolts to the roof is placed so high up the vent that they hang inside the trailer without adding a big ring onto the outside of the roof to compensate. most ppl seem to just add these not so good looking wooded trim rings onto the inside of the trialer to take up the difference. it not only loos bad but taller ppl hit theirs heads on it.

let me know, would really appreciate it

joel
idiotsniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #23

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1973 Bugeyed Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Peter

I own a 1973 Peace River Boler. (GF795) I replaced the bolt and brass ball in the hinges. I did not have extra bearings in mine. I had to realign the door. Fill the existing bolt holes and move the door up. The existing bolt holes were worn oversize at the bottom. I also replaced the door handle. I found that the wood spacer inside the hollow door had rotted. I cut a slot inside the door, removed the existing wood and replaced it with new plywood. I used fiberglass resin to stick the new plywood in place. It worked very well. The door now lines up with the striker and the new handle works great. I also found when I removed the door it had water inside. They did not add drain holes from the factory. Two new 3/16" holes on the inside to drain any water that may enter through the window.
rhkirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #24

Name: Brayden
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotsniff
siris,

where did u get a fantastic vent that doesnt hang 1.5" or so into the trailer, if u look at those vents the flange where it bolts to the roof is placed so high up the vent that they hang inside the trailer without adding a big ring onto the outside of the roof to compensate. most ppl seem to just add these not so good looking wooded trim rings onto the inside of the trialer to take up the difference. it not only loos bad but taller ppl hit theirs heads on it.

let me know, would really appreciate it

joel
I also make a ring of wood.
But mine is on the roof and I have the wood glued down and than i fiberglass the wood on an angle all around so it gives it a better appearance
Not to mention it will help strengthen the roof from cutting a big Hole in it .
I will post pictures when that is done as well
Siris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #25

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter
Looking at your picture of the door, I see you have installed the 3 point hinges from Scamp. I took our door off our '73 Boler (Peace River model), and found that as well as the brass ball bearings there were two half bearings (one each hinge) stuck in there. I had never heard of that before...did yours have that? Of course I am trying to realign the door using the existing 2 point hinge, but so far not so good but at least the new brass balls slow the closure movement of the door down to a more manageable pace.
The door and hinges came on it when I got the boler
I do have these same hinges to go back on but I fill all the holes and move the hinges closer to the middle.
I also use backing plates I make so the hinges are out farther to even the door.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:33 AM   #26

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
siris, thanks for the info on the fantastic vent
I asked about it because the picture of the vent on the outside of your boler i dont see that wood ring, the vent must just be sitting there not installed yet.

have another question for you, can u tell me if that crack above the road/drivers side of the trailers wheel well is in fact a crack? or is it just a scratch? im talking about the one running horizontally down the trailer about the same length as the wheel. i have a crack like this and have seen it on others.

I'm wondering if you know the cause of it? the crack on mine looks like something is pushing the body out from the inside, i just saw this on yours and thought u might know the cause if it is actually a crack on yours and not just a scratch?

anyways, appreciate your time.

joel
idiotsniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #27

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotsniff
siris, thanks for the info on the fantastic vent
I asked about it because the picture of the vent on the outside of your boler i dont see that wood ring, the vent must just be sitting there not installed yet.

have another question for you, can u tell me if that crack above the road/drivers side of the trailers wheel well is in fact a crack? or is it just a scratch? im talking about the one running horizontally down the trailer about the same length as the wheel. i have a crack like this and have seen it on others.

I'm wondering if you know the cause of it? the crack on mine looks like something is pushing the body out from the inside, i just saw this on yours and thought u might know the cause if it is actually a crack on yours and not just a scratch?

anyways, appreciate your time.

joel
Joel that's not a problem I love helping people
It's y I'm posting

As for the stress crack on the side
It is caused from a lack of support from the frame

If you look at your frame it's esentualy
A square and it sits about a foot in, all around the boler

The most heavy places on the boler is the sides
And without support (because the frame is so far in) they sag down on the sides bending around the wheel well and cracking
Big boler flaw

To fix it you can 1 cover it up but It will keep going over time or 2 you can add support on ether side of the wheel well Attaching to the frame

That's y on most bolers you also see that crack on the top right of the doorway to
Hope this helps
Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #28

Name: Jude
Trailer: 1973 Honey Boler...
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siris View Post
To fix it you can 1 cover it up but It will keep going over time or 2 you can add support on ether side of the wheel well Attaching to the frame

That's y on most bolers you also see that crack on the top right of the doorway to
Hope this helps
I would love to see a picture of how you did this, what the mods looks like. I'm just about to rebuild my frame and I'd like to show the welder what you're describing.
ceilityme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #29

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
Wow, I can't wait to see more pics. The PO of my boler pulled out the whole cabinet , fridge, stove, sink, furnace and everything else that would have been attached to that area. Then they rebuilt a new cabinet and counter but left everything out. I don't mind though, I don't think I would have ever used the stove or sink anyway. Gotta rough it a little. I tore out the cabinet and I plan on putting a typical bar fridge back in and building a new cabinet and counter around it but I not really sure how or what to attach the wood to to make it secure. Even the old cabinet seemed pretty wobbly. I'd hate to see what it was doing while I was driving.
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: 1972 13' Boler
British Columbia
Are you using leaf springs or torsion axel I have to replace my torsion axel, I am not sure which type to use
finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #31

Alberta
Registry
Ok everyone I'm back
I have finished my frame
I will be updating pictures as soon as I get back
Old 08-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #32

Alberta
Registry
sorry for the late reply i glue the cabinets back in with a urethane 2 part glue auto body manics use for panels pf7773
Old 08-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #33

Name: Graeme
Trailer: Boler 1700 '79
Ontario
This is awesome for me. We just picked up a Boler 1700 in Montreal yesterday and brought it back to Ottawa. I'm scaring my wife with my ideas. If I can show her your results she'll get on board quicker!
Crackedegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #34

Alberta
Registry
ok everyone i am back
my job is keeping me very busy but im now going to get this thing done
i have been doing little bits here and there but working late evry night doesn't help me

ok here is some current pictures of the boler

i did have it on the new frame but i took it off again because i wanted the boler lower so i sent the axle to get a 4'' drop

the first few pictures if i get them uploaded are the outside of the boler in primer

i sanded the boler with 80 grit than sprayed slick sand from evercoat on it
which in my eyes could not be better. it covered every thing and its easy to sand.

i also sprayed a box liner on the front of it to help protect it
i tinted it to the green so if and when i do get a rock ship threw my paint the color under neath will also be green
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0774.jpg   IMG_0775.jpg  

IMG_0776.jpg   IMG_0777.jpg  

Old 08-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #35

Alberta
Registry
i also made my light pots flush to give it a more sleeker look

i also today finished one of my cabinets.
i had to spry something before i went crazy

the colors are a green metallic pearl for the bottem and all the cupboards and benches and all fiberglass peaces.

im going to have cupboard and closet doors black that will all be airbrushed which you will see.

than for the rest of the bole im going whit diamond pearl on the outside

and a basic whit on the walls

and for all you guys who have seen my old boler mario

this one is going to be airbrushed as well and you will see that closer to the end

i hope this is enough to make up for not being here sorry
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0779.jpg   IMG_0780.jpg  

IMG_0781.jpg  
Old 08-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #36

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
Sweet color choice: green metallic pearl

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #37

Alberta
Registry
Ok I also want to figure this back window out so I can have a sliding back window
How cool is that
Attached Thumbnails
image-1100578467.jpg  
Old 08-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #38

Alberta
Registry
ok now i got more
like i said i need to get this thing done so i should be on here alot with pictures

today i repaired the closet and 1 of the benches (the other needs a little more fiberglass work

so after i got the two sanded and fixed i decided i had to start painting

so here is what i came up with
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0784.jpg   IMG_0785.jpg  

IMG_0786.jpg   IMG_0787.jpg  

Old 08-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #39

Alberta
Registry
they may look like different colors but thats because of the mica
they are all the same
Old 08-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #40

Name: Jason
Trailer: 75 boler
Saskatchewan
Happy your back. i will like to see the pics when you put the upper cupboards back. that urethane glue you use seriously keeps them up even with dishes in them. The glue idea is what i want to use cause i dont want any rivets in the boler once i paint. So if you can show me as you go would be greatly appreciated. Also to fill in the holes on the boler on the inside as well as the outside whats the best approach.
sheephills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler