Originally Posted by Shanos
After a bit of a break from the restoration I went back into Boler
. To my dismay, I found that many of the blocks that I glued on were quite easily removed! I expect the small area of the blocks was inadequate to support against much force. Not wanting to fibreglass all of these blocks and not feeling very confident that the polyethylene foam or fabric were going to strongly adhere with the contact cement, it was time to go back to the drawing board! After further research into adhesives, here's what I came up with:
1) glue strips of 1/4" bendable plywood to the hull of the Boler with Sikaflex 252. The representative at Sikaflex assured me it would be more than strong enough for what I was doing
2) Glue 3 additional layers of 1/4" bendable plywood to the first layer using Titebond III and 23 gauge pin nails
3) Insulate with spray foam insulation between the 1" thick strips adhered to the interior
4) Use 3 mm bending plywood as panelling attached to the strips
5) Attach cabinets to the 1" thick strips
I have recently purchased Robert Johan's restored 1974 Boler. I see that you referred to her in the description of your rebuild and are familiar with his project. Seeing the impressive work you have documented here, I am hoping you might be willing to advise me a bit about some repair work I need to do.
We are having some issues with the upper cabinetry. As you may recall from Robert's thread, he initially tried to glue support blocks, but the glue failed. As a fix, he used carriage bolts to hold the blocking. Unfortunately, over time these have created dimples in the exterior. In addition, those upper cabinets are no longer tight to the walls and ceiling and, as a result, the upper shell now lacks the "skeletal" support of the cabinetry. This has recently led to the top of our front window popping out of its frame!
I have created a thread looking for help with this issue (and a couple of other issues that I think I have figured out). Link is here, if you are willing to check it out:
Anyway, since you found a successful methodology for gluing strips of plywood to support your cabinets, I thought you might have some insight about whether I could do the same to support our upper cabinets? As Robert's work on our cabinets is so beautiful, I would like to avoid taking them down (and perhaps damaging them) and would like to try to support them in place. I am wondering if you think the following process could serve to both: a) support the hanging cabinets, and b) provide strength to the upper fiberglass shell:
1) jack up the cabinetry up tight into the ceiling,
2) pull back or cut out the carpet and insulation from underneath the hanging cabinets,
3) sand the exposed interior fiberglass,
4) glue plywood supports around the base of the hanging cabinets, using your method quoted above
5) fasten the cabinets to the plywood strips by screwing down into strips and/or adding finished wood cross "beams",
6) finish the plywood strips (could cover with carpet, stain, trim, or paint)
Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide. And feel free to post on my thread link above so as not to disrupt/hijack your thread further! I tried to message you directly, but I'm too new of a member.