1975 Trillium painting the interior - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2022, 11:37 PM   #1

Name: Peggy
Trailer: Trillium
BC
1975 Trillium painting the interior

I am wanting to paint the interior of my 1975 Trillium. Half of the interior is fiberglass and the other half is a spongy, textured product that covers the walls and ceiling. Any tips on how to paint these two surfaces? Thanks
Peglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:01 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Peggy, The spongy product that you mention is called Ensolite. This product was originally intended for aircraft. In a Trillium, (and other trailers) it is insulation that helps prevent condensation. It also keeps the sun from shining through the fibreglass.

The off-white top layer is vinyl. Any vinyl-based paint would work. Using vinyl paint would maintain its' flexibility. Under the vinyl is a black foam. This is the actual Ensolite.

The rest of the interior is fiberglass. This can be sanded with a 400-grit sandpaper and painted with almost any paint. I would recommend a spray paint to keep it smooth.

There are those here who know more about paint than I. Hopefully someone will recommend their favorite products.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 11:16 AM   #3

BC
Repairing Ensolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Peggy, The spongy product that you mention is called Ensolite. This product was originally intended for aircraft. In a Trillium, (and other trailers) it is insulation that helps prevent condensation. It also keeps the sun from shining through the fibreglass.

The off-white top layer is vinyl. Any vinyl-based paint would work. Using vinyl paint would maintain its' flexibility. Under the vinyl is a black foam. This is the actual Ensolite.

The rest of the interior is fiberglass. This can be sanded with a 400-grit sandpaper and painted with almost any paint. I would recommend a spray paint to keep it smooth.

There are those here who know more about paint than I. Hopefully someone will recommend their favorite products.

Thanks so much for that information.
Also any suggestions on how to repair the Ensolite (a new word in my vocabulary thanks to you!). It has pulled apart about 2 cm in a few of the corners so that the fiberglass shell is visible.
I'm trying to attach a picture but it's asking for a URL address and I can't figure out how to attach the pic.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:22 PM   #4

Alberta
Registry
Has the Ensolite pulled appart, (white comming off the black) or has it pulled off the fibreglass?

To reattach the Ensolite to the fibreglass, you can use contact cement.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:56 PM   #5

BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Has the Ensolite pulled appart, (white comming off the black) or has it pulled off the fibreglass?

To reattach the Ensolite to the fibreglass, you can use contact cement.
No it has pulled apart under the 1 seam covering. Ive tried to attach a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
0F1F7D59-5769-4E2B-BB74-BCB863388130.jpg  
Old 08-18-2022, 07:57 PM   #6

BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peglou View Post
No it has pulled apart under the 1 seam covering. Ive tried to attach a picture.
That's the rounded corner in the ceiling. Gaps about 1 inch.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:31 AM   #7

Alberta
Registry
Very common problem. Ensolite is quite stretchy. When Trillium installed it, they stretched it to fit the corners. The solution is typically to detach it till you can get a flap free. Clean both the fibreglass and the Ensloite. Then, on a hot day, (Ensolite stretches better when warm) paint contact cement on both the fibreglass and the Ensolite. When it dries is when you attach the two together.

NOTE: You only get one chance at this so take your time and be careful. Connect the furthest point first and carefully work your way around the edges so that the seams meet up. Then, poke the middle to attach it to the fibreglass at one point. Smooth the remaining Ensolite so that it attaches to the fibreglass.

Once again, I will differ to others to recommend a suitable contact cement.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:49 AM   #8

BC
Quote:
Thanks so much for that information.
Also any suggestions on how to repair the Ensolite (a new word in my vocabulary thanks to you!). It has pulled apart about 2 cm in a few of the corners so that the fiberglass shell is visible.
I'm trying to attach a picture but it's asking for a URL address and I can't figure out how to attach the pic.
Also I just noticed I need to caulk around the belly band. Can you recommend what kind of caulking I should use?
Attached Thumbnails
058A777E-EDD3-4A95-842B-A928A13D4A41.jpg  
Old 08-22-2022, 01:14 PM   #9

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Also I just noticed I need to caulk around the belly band. Can you recommend what kind of caulking I should use?
I don't recommend any caulk. The belly band is a bit of a design flaw for Trillium trailers. If you can call something that last 40 years a, "flaw".

The problem is not visible. The belly band is one part of a system that Trillium used to align the top half of the trailer with the bottom half. If you were to pull off the black plastic in the middle of the belly band, you would find rivets. Each rivet is inserted into a vertical metal plate. These plates are on the inside of the fibreglass shell. Once the belly band was installed, and the top and bottom halves of the trailer were aligned, then Trillium ran a fibreglass strip over the plates on the inside of the trailer. This is the structural component holding the two halves together. The bell band itself is no longer needed.

The problem is that plates form a pocket in both the top and bottom halves of the trailer. The bottom pockets fill with water, from condensation, as well as from failed caulk. After several freeze / thaw cycles the pockets rip till the fibreglass strip separates from the shell and causes a leak that is tough to find.

Another thing that tends to happen is that the metal plates will completely rust out. Then the bell band starts to fall off.

The solution is to remove the belly band and metal plates, then fibreglass over the gap between the top and bottom halves. I have done a couple of threads on this subject:
On a 1300
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ead-58763.html

On a 4500
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ead-59580.html

The 4500 had some 4500 specific problems, but even though you have a 1300, it is worth reading.

Others have also done threads on the subject. Use the search drop down and search for, "Trillium belly band". Each trailer does this different, so just the Trillium threads are relevant for you.

Since this is a rather large job, you may decide to just redo the calk. It's my opinion that any standard calk will do. However, do not use silicone. That stuff is not appropriate for fibreglass. It will fail after a couple of years of bumpy road, and then nothing will stick where it was.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:06 PM   #10

Name: Wendy
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 13 ft
British Columbia
I am looking for a spare tire cover for my 1973 13 ft Trillium. I would like it personalized. I am on Vancouver Island and will need some where close, or from Amazon.
Thank You Wendy Mumbly Hall
Wendy Mumbly Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:16 PM   #11

BC
David thanks so much for your very knowledgeable answer. I have learned so much from you.
Old 08-23-2022, 10:40 AM   #12

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
David thanks so much for your very knowledgeable answer. I have learned so much from you.
I'm glad to help.
Old 08-26-2022, 02:07 PM   #13

Name: Chris
British Columbia
Peggy..

You are so fortunate to have a reply from Dave.. He has a wealth of knowledge and is very comfortable sharing it with all of us.. He recently assisted me in resolving an issue with my furnace and I am oh so thankfully for his assistance..
Old 08-26-2022, 09:20 PM   #14

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from Comox View Post
Peggy..

You are so fortunate to have a reply from Dave.. He has a wealth of knowledge and is very comfortable sharing it with all of us.. He recently assisted me in resolving an issue with my furnace and I am oh so thankfully for his assistance..
Chris, I'm glad to hear that it all worked out. I haven't checked my email for quite some time.

Warm nights ahead.

Tags
paint, painting, trillium