1977 13' Scamp Rework - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
1977 13' Scamp Rework

After joining this site almost a year ago, my wife and I finally found an affordable scamp in decent condition. We have spent this week and weekend trying to get it into camping condition to catch the last of the season before doing major work on it this winter. The previous owners built a bathroom/closet area and butchered the original closet. You can see pics of our build here: Picasa Web Albums - Karen Burchfield - Scamp

We lucked out and caught it before any major problems occurred, ie rotten floor. We still have to rework and verify all the utilities, but I think we should have that done by the end of the week.

Ben
BenBurchfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
nice work Ben
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
And now it is time to update your profile
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Looks very classy!!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 Burro
Looks terrific! I stayed at a really nice campground just west of you, last week. 7 points at Percy Priest lake toward Nashville. If you haven't been, It would be a nice weekend destination.
joelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1983 Scamp 16
Texas
Registry
Looking great so far...can't wait to see the finished product! Did you have the seats recovered or did you buy them that way?
Steve in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #7

Thank you for the kind remarks. Joel, I am not familiar with that campground but we will definitely check it out. Steve, the seats were that way when we purchased them. I would love to know where they were purchased/recovered so we could get some made for the front dinette we are installing.

We are in the process of installing a stainless backsplash for the kitchenette. Anyone have suggestions for attaching it to the wall at the top? "PIC1"

Also, we have got the framing and plywood cut for the front dinette but are not sure where we could get the pedestal style of hardware everyone is using for the table. Any suggestions? "PIC2"
Old 10-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBurchfield View Post
Thank you for the kind remarks. Joel, I am not familiar with that campground but we will definitely check it out. Steve, the seats were that way when we purchased them. I would love to know where they were purchased/recovered so we could get some made for the front dinette we are installing.

We are in the process of installing a stainless backsplash for the kitchenette. Anyone have suggestions for attaching it to the wall at the top? "PIC1"

Also, we have got the framing and plywood cut for the front dinette but are not sure where we could get the pedestal style of hardware everyone is using for the table. Any suggestions? "PIC2"
Ben, you could if you were considering replacing the cabinet rivets/bolts with stainless, slip the stainless behind the top cabinet and drill the holes, and replace the cabinet fastners with new stainless and plastic caps.
Also, I picked up my center table mount at west Marine, it has a nice quick removal feature, havent' installed it yet but that might be a source.
Good work so far, always like looking at pic's
sugermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #9

Sugermc, thanks for the tip I think there is a West Marine not too far from me. Also, we tested the RedMax floor finish for the outside. I am really surprised at how this stuff made a difference. Here is a before pic and an after pic. This took a little less 1/2 gallon to complete.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBurchfield View Post
Like these ?

Search results for: 'table legs'
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:39 PM   #11

Registry
Ben, I really love the look of your interior! What kind of wood did you use for the cabinet doors, and what kind of paint for the fiberglass cabinets?
Old 10-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #12

Registry
BTW----please keep adding pics!!!

Vickie
Old 10-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #13

Vickie, the wood used is actually just cheap 'cabinet' plywood from Lowes. I would not normally call this cabinet plywood but it works fine for the camper. The paint on the cabinets was a good spray primer with a quality spray over top of that. We actually took the camper out this past weekend and enjoyed our first night in it even though we still have some work to do. Next steps will be to replace the existing fridge (prob with 110v only model), finish the front dinette table, add a door to the new closet, and rework the water supply to work in a campground. This will have 90% of the interior completed. We still have a few repairs to perform on the external. I have had a friend offer to help paint it this winter so that may be an option as well.

Ben

Tags
scamp