1977 Boler 17ft Interior Rennovation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2016, 02:19 PM   #1

Name: John & Sarah
Trailer: '77 Boler - 17'
British Columbia
1977 Boler 17ft Interior Rennovation

We've had our Boler for about a year now, and aside from a few fixings like curtains, cushion covers, and some other touch-ups, we hadn't done much with it. The one major thing we had done was to have it raised about 3 inches to a more standard height so the hitch didn't make contact at every speed bump.

Anyway, that's all changing now!

The first thing I've done is to remove the old roof vents, that no longer worked, and replaced them with 2 Fantastic Fans. The existing fan didn't work and they were in pretty terrible condition. Upon removing the existing fan I found out why it didn't work:

The wire had made contact with the rivots in 3 places, being completely severed by one of them. Talk about an electrical hazard!

Anyway, installing the new fans wasn't too difficult, just a little time consuming. I had to come up with a piece of trim for the inside as there would be a bit of a gap otherwise. The end result is actually quite good:

Note: I'm still experimenting with the best way to clean and fill the seams.

The really big changes are to the rest of the interior. I started by pulling out the fairly crappy laminate tile that a previous owner had laid down, along with their baseboards, revealing the original flooring. I removed all the cabinet doors and the range hood. I then taped everything!

Painting the interior cabinets was easy and quite quick. My wife painted all the cabinet doors which was super helpful.

I then laid down some nice engineered laminate flooring that we had left over from our kitchen reno last year. I had EXACTLY, to the last board, enough to complete the job.

Next step was to put up all the cabinet doors. This is where we realized we messed up. The paint on the doors was basically falling off. A light fingernail was enough to strip the paint. So, all the doors came off again and I proceeded to do what I should have done in the first place... sand them down a bit to rough up the surface.

I've not quite finished painting yet, so you'll have to wait a few more days for the finished shots.

Baseboards then went in.

I also painted the range hood and the range with high heat spray paint.

Setting up a bit of a spray box for the range since I didn't want to remove it:

So... I hate to leave this on a cliffhanger, but I need another day or two to finish painting the cabinet doors and put them back up. Then I'll take some finished shots!
Eggbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:49 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Nice job. When I had mine I took out the floor of the closet and found enough room for a Micro wave or an air conditioner. Maybe have a look and see what you think.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:02 AM   #3

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Thumbs up

Pictures!
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #4

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
Great job! We want to change out the PO's brown carpet . It's either bamboo or laminate, whichever is lightest. I'm leaning towards the bamboo.

You have givin me the motivation to "just do it"

Thank you,

Linda
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Stewart View Post
Great job! We want to change out the PO's brown carpet . It's either bamboo or laminate, whichever is lightest. I'm leaning towards the bamboo.

You have givin me the motivation to "just do it"

Thank you,

Linda
Awesome. I'm glad to have inspired. Putting down the floor wasn't as tricky as I thought it was going to be, but I have had some experience which came in handy. The trickiest cuts were around the table base stand, and at the doorway.

Have a plan for how you want to cover the edge at the doorway. I just pulled out the existing metal plate, drilled holes through the laminate, and re-rivoted it in. I'll try and get a picture for you.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #6

British Columbia
Ok. Pretty much finished everything last night. Still a few final touches to go, but the hardest parts are done.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #7

British Columbia
Here's the doorway transition I promised:

Old 08-24-2016, 09:36 PM   #8

Name: Dave and Bonnie
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Repainting Stove top etc.

I see you masked around the cabinetry to paint the stove. Wonder if you found it too difficult to remove the stove. I'm asking because my frame and wood panelling that the stove and sink sits in has bowed somewhat at the back
and I was thinking I could replace the wood panelling.
I was thinking about getting the stainless steel top and stove re-done - what kind of paint did you use?

Much appreciated your pics. Here some of my kitchen area

Dave and Bonnie
daveandbonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandbonscott View Post
I see you masked around the cabinetry to paint the stove. Wonder if you found it too difficult to remove the stove. I'm asking because my frame and wood panelling that the stove and sink sits in has bowed somewhat at the back
and I was thinking I could replace the wood panelling.
I was thinking about getting the stainless steel top and stove re-done - what kind of paint did you use?

Much appreciated your pics. Here some of my kitchen area

Dave and Bonnie
The top of the stove came out easily, so I did that part outside. I didn't experiment too much with pulling the rest out because at the very least I'd have to deal with disconnecting and reconnecting the gas lines. It seemed easier to just spray in place.

I used Tremclad High Heat Resistant spray paint.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:58 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I pulled mine out last spring.
Just a few screws and disconnected the propane line, took about 2 minutes.
Here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post593607
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #11

Name: Lise
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Registry
Nice job, love the floor especially!

I have a new to me 1977 17 foot Boler and the PO tore out whatever was over the back couch. I had thought it was a cabinet but looks like u have some kind of bunk or platform up there. Would you mind posting a couple more pics of that area and how it works? Especially curious about attachments to the wall and its functionality.

Thanks and hope to be posting similar in a year or more!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Tags
boler