1978 Boler Restoration Restarted - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2020, 08:04 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Boler
Lake Forest Park
1978 Boler Restoration Restarted

My Wife and I have been looking to find a small FG trailer in the Pacific NW but either they sold before we could get to them or they were expensive and needed major work. Then we found a 1978 Boler that is a diamond in the rough. Slavomir and his wife started a complete restoration on this trailer but were unable to finish. So we feel blessed to get a project with a very solid base to build our trailer. Basically we have an trailer with a new frame, axle, floor and a whole lot of parts. I will have lots of questions as we put this Boler back on the road.

If you want to see The excellent work Slavomir has done on this Boler check out his Post at:

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ild-55747.html
Attached Thumbnails
Before Sanding.jpg   After First Sanding.jpg  

MBlais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:58 PM   #2

Lake Forest Park
Lightbulb Door opening Question.

First of many questions.
There are two square channels one on either side of the door to shape the side of the trailer. Seeing these were removed before I got the trailer I am wondering how to reattach them. I have figured out the position by matching the old mounting holes. I assume they were attached with rivets but is there reinforcement between the fiberglass and the rivet? To me it seams like there should be at least a washer if not a band of aluminium between the rivet head (or screw head) and the fiberglass. Am I over thinking this and should just put in new rivets against the fiberglass? All the old holes in the fiberglass have been re-fiber glassed so new holes will be clean and tight.
Thanks
Mark
Old 08-16-2020, 04:04 PM   #3

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I suspect you will get much better restoration results if turn the trailer upside up...
Old 08-18-2020, 07:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
I suspect you will get much better restoration results if turn the trailer upside up...
I bet he likes his eggs over-easy too.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:51 PM   #5

Lake Forest Park
Wet Sand done almost ready to paint

Finished the wet sand today. Once I finish the door it will be ready to paint. Anyone have suggestions on, either a place near Seattle or a product and method I could use to paint the Boler?
Attached Thumbnails
Boler wet sand.jpg  
Old 08-28-2020, 06:47 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
roll or roll and tip

A common diy method is to roll and tip or just roll a marine topside paint. There are numerous one part and two part marine topside paints available for this method: Interlux Brightside, Interlux Perfection, TotalBoat WetEdge, Pettit EasyPoxy, RustOleum Marine, ...

From personal experience I can say that the Interlux Brightside produces great results with careful preparation and application.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:03 AM   #7

Lake Forest Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
A common diy method is to roll and tip or just roll a marine topside paint. There are numerous one part and two part marine topside paints available for this method: Interlux Brightside, Interlux Perfection, TotalBoat WetEdge, Pettit EasyPoxy, RustOleum Marine, ...

From personal experience I can say that the Interlux Brightside produces great results with careful preparation and application.
John,
Thanks for the information.
Mark
Old 08-29-2020, 07:11 AM   #8

Lake Forest Park
Through Hull Fittings?

Any recommendations on a water tight way to run the Propane, TV electrical and Battery wires through the hull. It looks like they were just run through the front wall of the trailer but there must be some sort of fitting to keep it water tight. The PO removed everything and filled the holes so I don't even know what was there before. If you have a method that has worked well information and pictures would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark
Old 08-29-2020, 12:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I’d try and find some size rubber grommets that fill the hole ( use butyl) and a tight fit around the wire or propane line
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:38 PM   #10

Lake Forest Park
Dinning table size

I am getting ready to build the dinning area benches and table but having trouble determining the width of the table. Can someone measure the table in their Boler and let me know the width and length?
Thanks
Mark
Old 09-18-2020, 10:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Check this out at Amazon.com
ISPINNER 32pcs Nylon Cable Gland Waterproof IP68 Adjustable 3-18mm, NPT 3/4, NPT 1/2, PG13.5, PG11, PG9, PG7 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083HQ8K29..._4xyzFbNZYR1W8
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:30 PM   #12

Lake Forest Park
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
Check this out at Amazon.com
ISPINNER 32pcs Nylon Cable Gland Waterproof IP68 Adjustable 3-18mm, NPT 3/4, NPT 1/2, PG13.5, PG11, PG9, PG7 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083HQ8K29..._4xyzFbNZYR1W8
Thanks I will look into these.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #13

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Perhaps you can find someone in your vicinity that has a Boler. Ask if you can take pictures and have a writing book to record all sorts of measurements.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:42 PM   #14

Lake Forest Park
Ready to start priming

After much sanding and waiting for COVID back orders to be filled. The Boler is ready to be primed.
Attached Thumbnails
20201109_165143.jpg  
Old 11-10-2020, 03:29 AM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBlais View Post
Any recommendations on a water tight way to run the Propane, TV electrical and Battery wires through the hull. It looks like they were just run through the front wall of the trailer but there must be some sort of fitting to keep it water tight. The PO removed everything and filled the holes so I don't even know what was there before. If you have a method that has worked well information and pictures would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark
Yes I do have a recommendation. Do not go to the hardware store, do not go to an RV store instead go to a marine supply store. They have really good watertight thru hull fittings that work as well for a fiberglass trailer as they do for a fiberglass boat. Some of them come with a variety of rubber inserts with pre drilled holes and others come with a rubber insert into which you can put your own custom sized hole. Some of the inserts have a slit in them which makes it easy to put it around something such as a metal propane line.

When you drill your own hole in these inserts you need to start with a much larger drill than is needed because if you start with a drill that matches the size of hole you actually need it will be much too small after you drill the hole. That is just the nature of drilling into rubber.

My cable clam fittings for my antenna wires and my solar wiring that comes through the roof are all from the marine supply stores. No leaks at all coming into my trailer along those wires.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:38 PM   #16

Lake Forest Park
Painting Started

Finally got the color coats started. Hatterus Off white for the top and Sea Green for the bottom. One or two more coats to go then I can install windows.
Pictures seam to only load upside down even if I flip them. You and see the color just stand on your head .
Attached Thumbnails
20201118_162339B.jpg   20201118_162249B.jpg  

Old 12-27-2020, 05:29 PM   #17

Lake Forest Park
Paint and Windows

Three coats of paint and all the windows installed. Now I need to finish the door and build the interior.
Attached Thumbnails
20201226_192039.jpg   20201226_191925.jpg  

Old 12-27-2020, 05:43 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Mark, the paint job looks great! What brand of paint did you use and how did you apply it? Thanks.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:56 PM   #19

Lake Forest Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Mark, the paint job looks great! What brand of paint did you use and how did you apply it? Thanks.
John,
Thanks
I put on 2 coats of Interlux Pre-Kote the 3 coats of Interlux Brighside. My wife and I used the roll and tip method to apply. Even in a 55 degree garage it required two, one to roll and the other to tip before the paint started to dry.
Mark
Old 12-27-2020, 10:50 PM   #20

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Looking great, you guys are doing a fantastic job!

Tags
boler