1979 Boler Project trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
The existing just seem to be too tiny. Any design thoughts/opinion on that? Very curious about your cabinet plans for the Boler.
Myron, check out peterh's topic here. You'll get a bunch more cabinet space if you ring the ceiling with cabinets. Of course you'd need to be careful about weight... no DO cast iron but every bit of cabinetry really helps:
peterh's dinette overhead cabinets
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Myron,

Thanks for the feedback on the videos. Sometimes I am not sure if I am rambling or not. I know they aren't too exciting to watch if a person has no interest in renovating a trailer.

I'm heading on holidays next week and will brainstorm with my sister as to configuration ideas. Probably the same light construction techniques but possibly more curves to the design.

I don't want to use rivets and L brackets to secure to the trailer (I want the trailer to be as watertight as possible) and am playing with ideas to make the cabinets modular and removable.
Modular- in case some future owner wants to replace an appliance with a different unit - then only the appliance module needs to be re-sized.

Removable- for easier access should something malfunction behind the cabinets.

Not sure if I'm keeping the upper bunk as I do like Peterh's idea of wrap-around ceiling cabinets and I may go with that idea.
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #23

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Rivets bug me, too. Weaned on a Burro, I'm amazed there are so many in this Scamp. But, what to do?? I agree the best solution is always one easily reversable by the next guy.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #24

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Rivets bug me, too. Weaned on a Burro, I'm amazed there are so many in this Scamp. But, what to do?? I agree the best solution is always one easily reversable by the next guy.
If I were adding cabinetry, I would consider tabbing it to the shell (fiberglass tabbing). That adds strength to the camper, and there is nothing to leak. It can be "undone" with a Dremel or a Multimaster (Rivets would take tools to remove too, after all.)

Or, you might be able to do something with Weld-Mount fasteners if you really do want to be able to remove your cabinets on a regular basis. Or potentially you could tab in a fiberglass flange and then use fasteners to attach the cabinets to a flange.

I guess it depends on how important removability is vs. no penetrations of the shell.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:43 AM   #25

Raya,

Exactly what I was thinking. I will experiment with knife thread inserts and use small pieces of hardwood blocking. Fibreglass the blocks, with insert installed, around the inside perimeter of the cabinet. Install an inward facing flange on interior of the cabinet. Secure cabinet flange to hardwood/screw insert with a bolt/lockwasher combination.

Similar to the illustration #3 on this webpage.

http://www.ezlok.com/InsertsWood/hardWood.html
Old 04-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #26

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Kevin,
Keep the videos coming. I'm learning a lot. You're doing us a big service. I'm just starting to dig into my Fiber Stream renovations, and seeing your videos really helps.
Thanks,
Pamela
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:17 AM   #27

Glad to hear the videos are of some use.

I might have a chance to get a few more videos together before I head on holidays next week. I'd like to drop the tanks and get the linoleum off before I go. Upon my return I may remove the body from the frame so I can inspect/sandblast and re-paint,install new brakes, springs and hanging hardware. I probably won't be posting these videos until late June.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #28

Removing the water tank and inspecting the underside of the 1979 17 ft. Boler

See my post re: Canadian source for freshwater tank to get information on purchasing a new tank.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=39765
Old 05-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Raya,

Exactly what I was thinking. I will experiment with knife thread inserts and use small pieces of hardwood blocking. Fibreglass the blocks, with insert installed, around the inside perimeter of the cabinet. Install an inward facing flange on interior of the cabinet. Secure cabinet flange to hardwood/screw insert with a bolt/lockwasher combination.

Similar to the illustration #3 on this webpage.

http://www.ezlok.com/InsertsWood/hardWood.html

Here is a rough idea of what I may do to attach the cabinetry.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #30

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (Glass-Fab
Registry
Kevin, I love your McGyvering. Brilliant.

I have used both PL Premium and Pl 400 in my Egg, with superb results. Once that stuff sets up, it will pull glass fiber chunks out of the shell if you try to remove what you glued on. I think the physics are first that of cohesion, followed by both cohesion and adhesion. It's tough stuff.

The brackets are lovely. I'm going exactly the same route to attach window valances and roller curtain rods to the inside, just cutting a square out of the Ensolite to accommodate the attachment. I truly believe that glassing the blocks wont be necessary, especially for light loads.

Where did you obtain the EZ-lock stuff?
Mike Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Where did you obtain the EZ-lock stuff?

I got the stainless steel screw inserts and bolts at Home Depot. They are not EZ-lok brand but they seem to do the trick. Calgary Fasteners and Tools on 32'nd ave NE may have more specialty items, however I haven't made it in to see them yet.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #32

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (Glass-Fab
Registry
Quote:
I got the stainless steel screw inserts and bolts at Home Depot. They are not EZ-lok brand but they seem to do the trick. Calgary Fasteners and Tools on 32'nd ave NE may have more specialty items, however I haven't made it in to see them yet.

You da MAN. I'm just waiting for The Huevo Grande to get re-axled out at Outback, then it's back to Tuxedo for a screen door & other accoutrements
Mike Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #33

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Learn from your video on the 17'

Was looking at tires and learned size from video. Ours has car tires? change to trailer tires seems to be a good idea. We have same unit it has upgrades and weighs less now want to drop it more for our car. Current dry weight is 2000lbs, Width and height lots of air being pushed. Look forward to seeing the project going forward. Lots of great ideas on FiberglassRv.
Borden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin61 View Post
Here is my new project. I will be fixing this one up for my sister

Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #34

17 ft. Boler restoration Part 7

The trailer has been sitting in the yard for the past year and I finally got back at it last weekend as I had a few different projects on the go.

Here is the latest installment.

The plan is to have the majority of the work completed by this autumn.

(that is probably what I said last year!)
Old 04-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #35

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin61 View Post
The plan is to have the majority of the work completed by this autumn.

(that is probably what I said last year!)
Yes, but you didn't say Autum of what year
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #36

17 ft. Boler restoration Part 8 and 9

These are about 37 minutes in total so you better grab a coffee (or a beer)

Part 8

Part 9

Old 05-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #37

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Glad to see you back at it Kevin. Thanks for the update.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #38

Part 10
Sandblasting and painting the frame

Part 11
Installing new suspension

Old 05-23-2011, 06:57 AM   #39

Installing new brakes

Old 07-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #40

Preview of Part 13 of Boler Restoration

I'm just trying out my new video editing software, Pinnacle Studio 15 Ultimate Collection. All previous videos were edited with Windows Movie Maker.

Here is an excerpt from the upcoming Part 13 which will deal with patching the floor in the 17 footer. Part 13 will have some commentary and comments to explain what I am doing

Tags
boler