1980 Scamp Update - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 1980 16 ft Scamp (Restored)
Registry
1980 Scamp Update

After our first season (2011) of use since completing our restoration, we are so pleased with the results (both restoration and use). We look forward to our second full year.

The basic shell of the old Scamp was sound, except for the flooring. Below is a full list of our modifcations. We are configured solely for full hookups, which suits us fine. With the front dinette (designed for 2) we never have to remake the bed. We removed the heater, shower plumbing, left the bath toilet and sink.

The project took us a year and one-half. I have had Parkinsons since 2000, and the challenge I faced to restore this Scamp was some of the best therapy a guy could ask for. I spent many hours in body positions I thought I had lost, like when I had to connect some of the plumbing (e.g., the toilet connections) on my back, working with a mirror. It took me twice as long as the average guy to do jobs such as pushing or pulling the old/new electrical wiring through seemingly impossible spaces. I am still amazed by the patience I was able to draw on through the process. Yes, it was a real confidence builder at a time in my life when I really needed it. I got to know every inch of that 16' Scamp intimately, and I wouldn't give a dime for the opportunity. I began the job for the challenge, but I completed it for the satisfaction of taking something old and restoring it. I learned a lot of things that I never thought I'd learn at age 70, like oxidation, 12-volt electrical, converters, RV'g, besides meeting some fine people I never would have met otherwise. Thank God for the opportunity!

List of Restoration/Remodeling to 1980 Scamp:
Rear subfloor
Carpet
Cupboard doors
Porch light
Front dinette
Bed extension
Reading light
Microwave
Kitchen Light
Front Dinette Light
Total Rewire
Replumbed with plastic hose
Remove Shower
Sewer hose and hose canister
Convert closet to Pantry
New Battery
New Propane tank
New tires/wheels
New axle/brake assembly
New Taillights & Side Marker Lights
Rain Gutter
Breakaway Switch
Safety Chain
Replaced all faucet washers
Rust Removal from frame & repaint
New Door and Hardware
New Cushion Covers
New Curtains
New Dining Table
Removed bunk beds
New Spare Tire & Cover
Gravel Guard Struts
110 Front Outlets
New Converter
New Fuse Panel
AM/FM/CD Player
New 7-pin T.V. Cable
New Awning supports
Toilet Gasket
Fresh Water Tank Drain
Low Point Drain
T.V. Brake Control
Stabilizer Jacks

Attached Thumbnails
ScampinPort.jpg  
Lawrence W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Looks like you sure went through it. I agree that you learn a lot doing this, and now you know how to fix anything that might come up. Are the images in your regisrty the current remodel? I like the front couch mod.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Fabulous! Therapy can comes in all manner of ways. You've gained knowledge and skills AND therapy in an unconventional manner. Good for you for tackling the job
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Congratulations on an impressive achievement. Those "patience" lessons are always the most difficult.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
1980 scamp update

Very impressive, my wife suffers with MS and feels the same way regarding therapy......while we have not even come remotely close to tackling what you do. Simple outstanding.
We are considering a front dinette mod for our perris pacer and looking for ideas......do you have any photos that you could share with ne

Thanks in advance

Alan
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
Looks like you sure went through it. I agree that you learn a lot doing this, and now you know how to fix anything that might come up. Are the images in your regisrty the current remodel? I like the front couch mod.
Yes, they are the same.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Very impressive, my wife suffers with MS and feels the same way regarding therapy......while we have not even come remotely close to tackling what you do. Simple outstanding.
We are considering a front dinette mod for our perris pacer and looking for ideas......do you have any photos that you could share with ne

Thanks in advance

Alan
Check the 8/31/2010 Post...it has step-by-step of my dinette remodel.
Lawrence
Old 02-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Now you are ready for some eggstreem camping time!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #9

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence W View Post
The project took us a year and one-half. I have had Parkinsons since 2000, and the challenge I faced to restore this Scamp was some of the best therapy a guy could ask for. I spent many hours in body positions I thought I had lost, like when I had to connect some of the plumbing (e.g., the toilet connections) on my back, working with a mirror. It took me twice as long as the average guy to do jobs such as pushing or pulling the old/new electrical wiring through seemingly impossible spaces. I am still amazed by the patience I was able to draw on through the process. Yes, it was a real confidence builder at a time in my life when I really needed it.
I just bought a 1980 13 footer, and am really motivated to get working on it, reading your post just turbocharged that. Great great work, nothing like the satisfaction of a job well done.

I am happy to hear you stuck it out.

Now like Mike above me said, get out there and enjoy it, youre just in time for the "season"
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp