1981 scamp rebuild where to start - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #21

Name: danny
Trailer: 1981 Scamp
Florida
Registry
I under stand all that Tom, and if they was ready to ship to me that is what i would have done and moved it to a trailing arm, but summer is around the corner and 4 to 7 weeks to get an axle was not in my plans.
renewableart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You may need to install shocks on that leaf spring axle....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #23

Florida
Registry
What a rough day installing the front window has to be an easer way. have installed back windows in trucks of all sizes, but this was a big pain. I used new rubber. A one piece rubber that has the sealing bead made with the gasket. That was not the problem, its the four curves in the body that i was trying to put a flat plexie in. like trying to pot a squire peg in a round hole. all the normal ways string lube did not work, after 3 hours i figured it out and new glass is in the front of my scamp. With it 2in larger, i cut the fiberglass 2in lower to give me a larger window on the front.
After cutting the hole larger and trying to install the rubber gasket i seen the fiber glass was a 1/4in thick in that area. the rubber i have is for 1/16 thick fiberglass that is what was showing in frame on window hole.... took my grinder and cut from the inside and got it down to 1/8in and then rubber worked ok.
I ended up setting the plexie in the bottom rubber and snapped in the center 12in of the seal. went to the top on the window and locked in the center 10in. with the top and bottom locked in i worked 2in at a time to the four corners. one curve at a time and it finally popped in place. now maybe the back glass will go in easier.

i have a hammer, nails and duck tape i can fix it.

Danny
Old 03-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #24

Florida
Registry
1981 scamp rebuild where to start

Been working this past week. The frame has been under coated the ply for the floor has been sprayed with under coating. I cut the front window 2 in larger and in stalled front glass. I could not find a side window so i pulled it out and installed plex, just like rear and front windows. So now i have a working scamp window with screen looking for a new place to live its life. Been scraping off all the old house paint that was put on by a previous owner... they did not sand the hull before painting the scamp.
Attached Thumbnails
frame2.jpg   frame1.JPG  

exter new.JPG  
Old 03-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Danny, you're bringing an egg back to life. You should be proud! It doesn't have to be perfect... or original. Just what works perfectly for you! Good job keep it up. I'm enjoying the rehab through pics.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #26

Florida
Registry

Its been a long weekend but i got a few things done. The floor is all in and screwed down. half of the floor is glassed back to the wall. I used kitty hair and packed it in to fill all the seams against the wall and finders. I may come in later and use cloth and class over them seams. Im not sure if that is needed.

I pulled off the door to rebuild the hinges. And what a mess i come up with. On the door where the lower hinge hangs i found a crack in the glass. I ground out a channel and used the kitty hair and filler on the out side of the door. On the inside of the door i cleaned off the padding down to the class and i layered a 1/8in of glass to reinforce the repair. While i was working on the door. i removed the door cover on the bottom of the door and found that there was less then a 32th of an in of glass. the gel coat was thicker then the glass. So again I laid an 1/8in of glass covering the bottom of the door and a few inches up the side. I know this scamp has been like this for 32 years, but a little help will make it easer on her to live life another 30 years.

With the rebuilt hinges and rehanging squire on the scamp with all new S.S. bolts, she looks as good as new. just needs a paint job.

looking back at what i started with. she does not look half bad.

I have a hammer,nails and duck tape i can fix it.

Danny
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0296.jpg   IMG_0293.jpg  

Old 03-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #27

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp 1981 16 foot
Michigan
Danny, I just got a 1981 16ft Scamp last April, lots of that black mold crap all over the inside. I just used Clorox clean up in a spry jug and a scrub brush. It comes off real nice. My seam tape had all yellowed and was falling off, just took a razor blade and made a small cut on both sides of the seams and used a white caulk to fill in the crack. looks real good and did not have to mess with a re-tape.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #28

Florida
Registry
With all the things i have rebuilt i have found the Dap 35 year caulking holds up the best with the greatest sticking power. and it does not yellow after time, and takes paint great, i have used Dap to repair rubber roofs on rvs the past 10 years. and the first one i did is still leak proof.

i have been living full time rv, and working at the rv park, and on units passing through the past 10 years. I some what know what works and what don't.

i have a hammer, nails and duck tape, i can fix it.

Danny
Old 03-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #29

Florida
Registry

This weekend we installed the new roof vent. Some people don't know what they are doing, they cut the rivet tops off to remove the original sky light leaving the rest of the rivets in place, laying 3/4 plywood to cover the hole. using some type of tape caulking to seal the gap where the rivets are. Then cutting a hole in the plywood to install the 14 x 14 skylight they used. With all of the sheetrock screws trying to pull the plywood down to the body it distroyed the fiberglass with a 100 plus holes. When sheetrock screws rust they tear fiberglass while removing. lucky my vent was 17 x 22 escape hatch vent and i could cut away all of the old fiberglass to install my new vent.

Next I installed two boat hatches that are floor hatches in fishing boats. I installed them just behind the finders to give me excess to the under side bed storage from the outside. i used a 11 by 16 on each side, because of the curves this is the largest I felt i could put in. They look like going to work like i wanted.

Then i mounted my tail lights. they are aftermarket trailer light that are round metal frame with the flange to screw on the out side of the trailer. What i am doing is frenching mine by installing the light on the inside wall. i drilled the hole as if i was using the flange on the out side, but instead i bolted it on the inside. i will be fiberglassing them in from the in side then removing the screws and glassing the out side.

Any one needing the original 1981 scamp taillight lens they can have them for the cost of shipping.

I have a hammer, nails and duck tape. i can fit it.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #30

Florida
Registry

loading pics
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0301.jpg   IMG_0302.jpg  

IMG_0305.jpg  
Old 04-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #31

Florida
Registry

I did some work on the inside this weekend. I was reading some time back about how out of square that scamps are, well he was right. I was working on the bed area. i took a measurement of the braces that was glassed in to lay the bed on. I got a 14 5/8 measurement from the top of the glassed in rail to the floor. I built the front wall with drawers framed in. I installed the draw front. Then when i laid the level across the frame to line up the inter walls. What a mess I have ended up with. one side is 15in to the top, the other side is 13 1/4. Some one must not have been able to read a level or a tape measure. I am going to have to cut out 6in of the railing scamp used to set the benches on to get it down to the 14 5/8 the rest of the railing i will have to shim up to where i need it. But hay! I have duck tape, i will fix it. much simpler the what i have done to put new cabinets in an old wooden floor house to level. But here are some pic's of what i have.

I have a hammer, nails and duck tape, i can fix it.

danny
Attached Thumbnails
bed.jpg   bed3.JPG  

Old 04-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Should be easy for you.
You already know it's duck tape and not duct tape.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #33

Florida
Registry

Duck tape or duct tape,, A name is just a name. and yes it is duct tape. but then its not used as duct tape in heat and air by most codes

But then there is me. A yankee in Florida from South Carolina, from Texas, from Indiana. With a 6th grade education that uses duck tape.

Danny
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I was just pointing out that you are one of very few who call the tape by its proper name - Duck tape. Duct tape it ain't and one should never use it on ducts.
It's just another losing battle, though.<_<
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #35

Florida
Registry

Glenn. Its cool.. different places have strange names for things. In South Carolina, you ask for a chilly dog you get a bun with chilly. You have to ask for a hot dog with chilly. Don,t ask for a garden hose, they will tell you its a hose pipe. In south Texas, you don't get in the car to get some beer. you get on the car to get some brew. And then here in Florida, well I live here so i will not say.

I have a hammer, nails and duck tape. I can fix it.

Danny
Old 05-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #36

Florida
Registry

Its been a few weeks. I was busy building boats. But in back with some work done on the inside. I have framed out the kitchen cabinet and framed out the benches for my front dinette. I am covering the frames with birch bead board. the frames are cut to 3/4 x 1 1/4 to cut back on my weight of the wood work.
I went with a larger fridge. Most of what I have seen use the 1.7 cubic. fridge But i am using the 2.6 fridge. I used a copper color top on the counter top with eastern red cedar to rape the edges. Most of the camper will be using the red cedar to trim out. I use a lot of this to make cedar trunks and i hold on to the pieces that have lots of colors. When I am done this camper will smell like a cedar trunk.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0576.jpg   IMG_0578.jpg  

IMG_0577.jpg  
Old 05-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #37

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Danny,

What properties does bead board have that makes it useful? I thought bead board had grooves, Is their a flat variety? How thick is it? What does it weigh? Is it water proof?

Thanks Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #38

Florida
Registry
Norm. I could have used 1/4in luan or about any paneling. I am building my unit like most rv are built with a stick frame covered in a light ply on the sides with a hard wood face frame. This is normal building in the rv constuction. What I am using is birch 1/4in ply that has grooves in it to make it look like board and bead panels. Is it water proof?? no. but after it is sealed like your home cabinets then it will hold up to wiping down with water. no wood product is water proof. its the clear coat you seal it. and in my unit i will be using a water based poly that is made by mimwax. I have been using this in my toy making for years. its safe for kids, no oder and fast drying.

As far as the wood face frames, weight is something I have looked at. In my toys i use many different kinds of wood. western red cedar for a 4 in long hull is .72 ounce. the same size hull in eastern red cedar is .85 ounces, spruce is .93 ounces, yellow pine is 1.55 ounces, maple or birch is 2.62 ounces, and red oak is 2.86 ounces. Now if i am using wood to build cabinets and what to build a light weight cabinet. spruce and cedar is my way to go. As far as the birch bead board i am only going to use 2 sheets for the hole build.

I have a hammer, nails and duck tape. i can fix it.

danny
Old 05-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #39

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Danny,

Thank you for the information. I'm really an amateur builder and always interested in learning more. My projects normally remain standing but are rarely gorgious. Thank you for the information.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #40

Florida
Registry
I have got many private messages on the construction of my cabinet work. i will get more pics. with info of what i am doing and why. but this is a weight thing thats in lots of building industries The rv and camper industry, furniture industry, and some boat industry.

danny

Tags
scamp