1981 Trillium 1300 - we took our “almost dinette” all the way - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #1

Name: Sheila
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 1300
Ontario
1981 Trillium 1300 - we took our “almost dinette” all the way

Now that the kids are grown and it’s really just the 2 of us in the Trillium, we decided to convert the front bunks to a small dinette. We were fortunate that the fibreglass was already able to accommodate this, so no fibreglass cutting was required. We made a table and had the bottom bunk cushion cut into 4 cushions. Everything flattens down to a single bed. We kept the top bunk and all it’s supports and hardware so that we can put it back in as needed.
We also took this opportunity to redecorate- new curtains, upholstery, and cupboard doors. We’re so pleased with how bright and “happy” it all turned out.
Attached Thumbnails
9C1617BA-2ABC-4057-8891-D39F3F1E6069.jpg   B4ED3947-26B1-4E4D-B78E-40A12FFC5038.jpg  

794DA57E-E76C-4344-A46B-B304B1B76871.jpg   6A1AF94D-6C17-49C4-A703-C2F6C62A1D87.jpg  

Sheila Dedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #2

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Bunk Beds to Dinette

Looks wonderful Sheila. That's what I want to do with mine. Any details, photos, etc. in the 'How To" department? Most of the ones I've seen have made it so the dinette is permanent so not restorable to the bunks set-up. I have grandchildren that want to camp now and would like to have both options.
Thanks for any light you can shed on this conversion.
Barb
Old 07-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Barb, It all depends on how you support your table. Trillium hung a piece of fibreglass from the wood frame on the bottom of the window, then attached something like this to support the table:
https://shop4seats.com/rv-furniture/...e-support.html
with a telescoping leg.

I believe that Sheila used a removable leg, like this:
Sequoiaâ„¢ III Table Leg & Base System - ITC RV

Both options should work fine.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #4

Ontario
We made a table top that fits exactly in the gap in the fibreglass bench. The removable table leg is similar to the one David linked to, with the base screwed into the floor and the other base mounted underneath the tabletop. The leg is removable from the base and at the top. We also made a small support under the table (partially visible in the photo) at the wall so it wouldn’t be tippy if you rested your arms on the table as the leg is not centred. We used dowels into the fibreglass ledge and into the underside of the table - also removable.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Love it, super well done!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:22 AM   #6

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Dinette Configuration

Thanks for the information and links for resources for this project. That's next on my list now!
Old 07-18-2018, 06:12 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
How did you attach the table to the front wall?

Interesting floor covering, what did you do there?
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:09 AM   #8

Ontario
We made a free standing support that rests on the fibreglass ledge at the wall that has dowels projecting up into matched holes on the underside of the table and down into holes we drilled in the fibreglass. This support pulls out when we need to flatten the table. It is not attached to the wall.
On the floor we used click vinyl planks, no adhesive needed. It feels great on bare feet and is easy to clean. We installed it last summer and haven’t had any issues yet.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #9

Name: Norm
Trailer: Surfside... // Bigfoot
Alberta
Almost dinette

Hi Sheila, That's a real nice idea and a job well done !!
Judy and I have a 1981 Surfside 14 ft we are working on as well as our 1984 Bigfoot 17 ft .. This is something we would like to do on the surfside.. It still leaves it as a bed but also as a table ..

GREAT IDEA !!!

norm
wright

name : norm
trailer :1981 Surfside
1984 Bigfoot 17
milk river , Alberta
norm wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #10

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner (now 2010 R-pod)
Ontario
Hi Sheila, we camped next to you at Bolerama. I can attest that Sheila and her husband (sorry I forgot his name atm - old age ☹️) did first class work and it looks even better in person than the pictures suggest.

One thing worth mentioning is that most Trilliums I’ve seen ( indluding the 77 and 78 trailers we’ve had) are not prepped for this conversion in the way Sheila’s was. Perhaps because hers is a 1981, Trillium made the interior fiberglass panels interchangeable on the production line between a front dinette and front bunk with the front wall and seat prepped to do either. While it’s possible to convert an earlier front bunk only model, it would require a lot more work and cutting of the fibreglass support under the bunk.
Phil 4500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #11

Ontario
Hi Phil - yes, Doug and I remember meeting you at Bolerama. Thanks for your kind comments!
Your Trillium is also in lovely condition.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:41 PM   #12

Alberta
The Almost dinette

Hi Shelia, I was looking at the pictures you posted again and was
wondering if you were still able to store the porta-potty under the bench
by the door ?? That is where it stores in our Surfside..
Also , could you tell me what you were able to get for width from the front of the trailer and the fridge.. I`m not sure if I would have to move the kitchen section [ sink ,stove , fridge, furnace ] back a few
inches to get it comfortable enough ..

Many Thanks..........norm
Old 07-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #13

Ontario
Hi Norm. We’ve never had a Porta potty so I can’t answer your first question. As for your second question- I think you’re asking the dimension of the dinette/single bunk area from the front trailer wall to the edge of the “kitchen “ appliance section. In our Trillium it’s about 24”. Hope that’s what you’re looking for.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #14

Alberta
Hi Sheila. many thanks for the quick reply.. That's about the size I thought
it would be and we can get by with that.. our Surfside has the furnace
with a drawer and the frige mounted above it .. Not much elbow room but it
is still a better setup than the way it is now .. I plan to shorten the storage
area just to the right of the door so the porta-potty just fits with a little extra room so it can be used in there or moved out .. We bought the unit in the fall of 2010 and did get some things done ,Bearings ,, wiring , Plexaglass storm
windows for the side Jalousie windows.. We cut to fit the foam sleeping pads that hikers use on the floor and with a three small rugs from walmart we were
toasty warm at -35 .. we did not need the furnace set very high for this set up.
The foam pads on the floor made a huge difference..

norm
Old 07-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #15

Name: Ross
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
Registry
We also pulled out the bunks and opted for a washroom. Here are pics and a link to work done.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3629.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	358.9 KB
ID:	122322before
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3640.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	122323after

Trillium 4500 washroom
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=84966
Seaross is offline   Reply With Quote