1985 Burro 13 recreation/restoration - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
Here are some pictures of my 1985 Burro 13 that I bought a couple of months ago. I am in the process of restoring it and recreating what I think an Airstream 13 would look like if they made one. It has been a fun project thus far. We are thinking of starting a fiberglass camper refinishing and restoration business, and I wanted to start it with a custom Burro. I love these little egg campers and on this camper I was thinking out of the box. I am frenching in the taillights and marker lights with retro style LED lights. More pictures to come as I make progress on it.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
1985burro7.jpg   1985burro9.jpg  

1985burro10.jpg   1985burro11.jpg  

1985burro13.jpg   1985burro.jpg  

1985burro3.jpg   1985burro2.jpg  

1985burro5.jpg   1985burro6.jpg  

1984burro1.jpg  
Attached Images

Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
Nice looking
Old 06-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
I love it!

I am doing a 13' Burro as well. What would you condsider an appropriate price for a paint job? I have gotten offers that are over the place! How does one judge what is fair vs. high?

I really like the black around the windows I am going to borrow that from you.

Did you replace the windows? or reuse the old ones? if you are using new ones how did you work around the curve in the front and rear windows.

More pics and info as you go forward please.

Great job!

Scott
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
did you paint the panel lines on after to simulate alum panels or is that tape? reminds me of an airplane. Looks good though... esp the side window mods.....Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
I love it!

I am doing a 13' Burro as well. What would you condsider an appropriate price for a paint job? I have gotten offers that are over the place! How does one judge what is fair vs. high?

I really like the black around the windows I am going to borrow that from you.

Did you replace the windows? or reuse the old ones? if you are using new ones how did you work around the curve in the front and rear windows.

More pics and info as you go forward please.

Great job!

Scott
I painted it myself. I paid around $600.00 for materials. You MUST have a good sealer to seal off the fiberglass. I took the windows out and am reglazing them with new dark tinted lexan due to the curves. I was going to try Dark glass, but I wouldn't have been able to open them. The dark tinted lexan is flexable and better than the cheap glass that was in the burro. There is really no guage to compare paint prices, due to the camper being completely different than a car in an auto body shop. Most auto body shops probably shoot you a high bid and hope NOT to get the job.

Thanks, Mark
Old 06-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
did you paint the panel lines on after to simulate alum panels or is that tape? reminds me of an airplane. Looks good though... esp the side window mods.....Bruce

The panel lines are hand painted before applying the clear coat. I did paint them to simulate the aluminum panels of an Airstream, I also have the individual rivets painted on as well. I painted the side windows to get the look of an Airstream Bambi. It is a defined body line that I could not pass up using to add more detail to the project.

Thanks, Mark
Old 06-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #7

Quote:
I painted it myself. I paid around $600.00 for materials. You MUST have a good sealer to seal off the fiberglass. I took the windows out and am reglazing them with new dark tinted lexan due to the curves. I was going to try Dark glass, but I wouldn't have been able to open them. The dark tinted lexan is flexable and better than the cheap glass that was in the burro. There is really no guage to compare paint prices, due to the camper being completely different than a car in an auto body shop. Most auto body shops probably shoot you a high bid and hope NOT to get the job.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark,

Any recommendation on the sealer?

Thanks.

Scott
Old 06-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Mark,

Any recommendation on the sealer?

Thanks.

Scott
I used Dupont primer sealer, and when you sand the trailer, do not wet sand the fiberglass, dry sand it. If you wet sand the gell coat, it will hold moisture and efect your paint quality. I dry sanded the Burro and my finish turned out excellent. I guess if you wet sand it, you can bake the trailer in a booth if you have access to one.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #9

Quote:
I used Dupont primer sealer, and when you sand the trailer, do not wet sand the fiberglass, dry sand it. If you wet sand the gell coat, it will hold moisture and efect your paint quality. I dry sanded the Burro and my finish turned out excellent. I guess if you wet sand it, you can bake the trailer in a booth if you have access to one.

Mark,

Thanks. Sanding is to rough up the gel coat I assume, my shell is in pretty good shape, a bit chalky, a few very light spider cracks, How many coats did you have to put on?

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Mark,

Thanks. Sanding is to rough up the gel coat I assume, my shell is in pretty good shape, a bit chalky, a few very light spider cracks, How many coats did you have to put on?

Thanks.

I sanded the entire camper, fixed the small spider cracks and applied 2 coats of Dupont primer sealer, then sanded it again. (You will have extra work where the factory decals are, unless you are replacing them over were the old ones came off.) It has 2 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear. The stripes are under the clear, but if you do that, you only have about 10 hours with some paint to apply the clear or it will peel and not bite into the paint. The finish on my Burro came out slick as glass and looks amazing in person. I was very suprised how this tired old Burro turned out.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
I sanded the entire camper, fixed the small spider cracks and applied 2 coats of Dupont primer sealer, then sanded it again. (You will have extra work where the factory decals are, unless you are replacing them over were the old ones came off.) It has 2 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear. The stripes are under the clear, but if you do that, you only have about 10 hours with some paint to apply the clear or it will peel and not bite into the paint. The finish on my Burro came out slick as glass and looks amazing in person. I was very suprised how this tired old Burro turned out.

I also just picked up my New Cool Cat heat pump and A/C unit. Any ideas on where to install this unit? Is there a way to vent it from below through the floor, so as not to cut a vent hole through the side? If anyone has installed a cool cat heat pump, let me know how it went. I hate to put a roof top unit on this camper and loose the sleek egg look.

Mark
Old 07-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
I also just picked up my New Cool Cat heat pump and A/C unit. Any ideas on where to install this unit? Is there a way to vent it from below through the floor, so as not to cut a vent hole through the side? If anyone has installed a cool cat heat pump, let me know how it went. I hate to put a roof top unit on this camper and loose the sleek egg look.

Mark

The new windows, door and wheels are installed. The pin stripes have been re touched. I am about to get under way on the interior remodel. Pictures will be coming soon!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I think that eggs look fabulous in metallics! Has anyone got a 'golden egg' (what a FUN name that would be!). Not just yellow, but a metallic gold?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
I think that eggs look fabulous in metallics! Has anyone got a 'golden egg'..?
Here is one from Bolerama:

Click image for larger version

Name:	golden_egg.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	29503

Also, does anyone remember the fellow who posted here who had made his Boler/clone into a "mini-airstream"? He did a great job. I saved photos of the couch that folded down into a bed, and various other interior photos, but I can't find the thread here.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:

Attachment 29503

Also, does anyone remember the fellow who posted here who had made his Boler/clone into a "mini-airstream"? He did a great job. I saved photos of the couch that folded down into a bed, and various other interior photos, but I can't find the thread here.
Raya, if you could post any of the pictures of the other airstream clone, I would appreciate it. I need ideas for my interior.

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #16

Registry
Updated pictures of the 1985 Burro.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Updated pictures of the 1985 Burro.

Mark,

Looks good but can you resize the pics when you enlarge they stay small. Also I am not for sure but this might be the "airstream" inspired boler that Raya was speaking of but she can confirm.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...=19608&st=0

Scott
Old 07-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #18

Quote:

Attachment 29503

Raya,

Was it this one? http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=19608

Scott
Old 07-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #19

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Mark,

Looks good but can you resize the pics when you enlarge they stay small. Also I am not for sure but this might be the "airstream" inspired boler that Raya was speaking of but she can confirm.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...=19608&st=0

Scott
Scott, I took the first series of pictures with my phone, so the quality was not as good. I took the last series of pictures with my good camera, so I cannot load the pictures in their original state. I am not computer savy enough to know how to decrease the size to load them on this forum correctly.

The camper that you sent the link of is nice, but I am going for a more modern look. I ordered a european style flush mount drop in sink and stove top with a glass lid that sits flush with the counter top when not in use. I just received my new power converter and un packed my Cool Cat heat pump with A/C. This camper has been sitting since paint, and it has my undivided attention now.

I have some good ideas on restoring the interior. More pictures to came as I make progress on the Burro-stream. All of my other projects are caught up, so full time on the Burro starting this week! Cushions are going to the trim shop and I am starting on the cabinets and headliner on Monday. I should be able to get a hugh chunk knocked out of it this week.

Mark
Old 07-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Scott, I took the first series of pictures with my phone, so the quality was not as good. I took the last series of pictures with my good camera, so I cannot load the pictures in their original state. I am not computer savy enough to know how to decrease the size to load them on this forum correctly.

The camper that you sent the link of is nice, but I am going for a more modern look. I ordered a european style flush mount drop in sink and stove top with a glass lid that sits flush with the counter top when not in use. I just received my new power converter and un packed my Cool Cat heat pump with A/C. This camper has been sitting since paint, and it has my undivided attention now.

I have some good ideas on restoring the interior. More pictures to came as I make progress on the Burro-stream. All of my other projects are caught up, so full time on the Burro starting this week! Cushions are going to the trim shop and I am starting on the cabinets and headliner on Monday. I should be able to get a hugh chunk knocked out of it this week.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Keep them coming!

Scott

Tags
burro