1988 Bigfoot TF-20 named Gladys - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2017, 10:23 PM   #21

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Bill,

Laura and I are very excited for Laura and you. About 18 months ago, I ran into a guy that had recently purchased at late 80s BF 5er. Very roomy!

Hope to see ya in '18!!!

Take care,

Dean
Old 11-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #22

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Very nice! Our pull-out cord gets so stiff in cooler weather, making it hard to remove for use. This looks like a great upgrade to try for our Silver Cloud.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #23

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
I'd like to ask anyone with experience in Bigfoot trailers about our axle configuration. The axles look good to me and I know that the tires are in great condition. I can tell from the "birth certificate" that Gladys originally came with 14" tires and that she now is wearing 15" car/light truck tires. I appears that someone has completed the "axle flip" by placing the axle under the leaf spring instead of what I have seen in most trailers with the axle mounted above the leaf spring.

Can anyone confirm that Bigfoot fivers normally come from the factory with the axles mounted above the leaf spring?
Old 11-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #24

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
My axle is under the springs, have 16” from ground to fiberglass.
14” Tires.
Attached Thumbnails
6B8839F2-6CDF-4CB3-9024-7876DC50DC9D.jpg  
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:12 PM   #25

Kentucky
Registry
mszabo,

Yup, that's how ours are too. Maybe that's stock? In any case, sure glad of it. Thanks for the picture!
Old 11-21-2017, 01:18 PM   #26

Kentucky
Registry
Screen Porch Option

We have a book that came with our camper that shows a screen porch attached to the awning as well as "under-skirting" attached to the camper to create a semi-closed in porch. There are snaps screwed into the lower edge of the fiberglass skin along the front bottom edge of the camper including under the doorway.

It is my plan to use these snaps with a piece of snow fencing to create a means to contain our four small dogs, to prevent them from running away, by running under the camper. I bought the green plastic-like garden fencing last summer and we used it with the Scamp. Now, I have a handy method to attach the fencing to this new-to-us camper. I've already bought the snap tool and some snaps from Amazon and I hope to get some of these attached to a section of fencing tonight/tomorrow night. It'd sure be handy to simply snap the fence up like underpinning and run the pet fencing around the porch area of our outdoor rug.

I'll get some pictures when we get this project completed... bill(not laura)
Old 11-22-2017, 07:55 AM   #27

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
The Buena Vista screen room from Carefree of Colorado we purchased for our Silver Cloud also has this option of using snaps or Velcro to attach a bottom skirt to our trailer. We haven't had the need to do this, but it sounds very similar to your snap setup. It sounds like you found a great way to help corral your little guys!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #28

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
My guess is that unless they know the history of their camper, that axle could still be modified. I'm not sure I've seen an older trailer yet that had the axle under the springs as a "stock" thing. Not it matters, really...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #29

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
My guess is that unless they know the history of their camper, that axle could still be modified. I'm not sure I've seen an older trailer yet that had the axle under the springs as a "stock" thing. Not it matters, really...
Z:

Yup, doesn't really matter. It sure is nice to have the ground clearance though...we have a pretty good slope to our driveway and no worries for us when backing in.

bill(not laura)
Old 11-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #30

Montana
I agree it's nice to know, though.

Yes. I would not have been able to get my trailer down some of my favorite roads in the desert the way it sat when I first bought it. Super low rider.

When my tires wear out, I'll probably go with 15" rims & wheels too. I don't really need the extra height, but there just seem to be a lot more options in tires that size.

My trailer doesn't have the "axle flip", I had a straight axle put on there to replace the drop axle. Plenty of height. Probably about the same as you've got.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #31

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I agree it's nice to know, though.

Yes. I would not have been able to get my trailer down some of my favorite roads in the desert the way it sat when I first bought it. Super low rider.

When my tires wear out, I'll probably go with 15" rims & wheels too. I don't really need the extra height, but there just seem to be a lot more options in tires that size.

My trailer doesn't have the "axle flip", I had a straight axle put on there to replace the drop axle. Plenty of height. Probably about the same as you've got.
Zach:

We still have the drop axle but the combination of 15" tires and flipped shackles make for some nice clearances. Good luck with yours.

bill(not laura)
Old 11-23-2017, 05:07 PM   #32

Kentucky
Registry
Screen underpinning for dogs

Here are a few shots of the new dog fencing deployed tonight for the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
E047BECF-E106-4ACE-99EE-C0F34053B403.jpg   98701859-4D21-41C3-8939-272B545280B3.jpg  

AEAED6EA-6CC0-42A1-9ADF-1448C993FA39.jpg   0FA039DF-39DA-44D7-91B1-72B6DD8F268C.jpg  

Old 11-23-2017, 06:06 PM   #33

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
That “dog” fencing looks like what we used to use for the Michigan mosquitoes
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:27 AM   #34

Kentucky
Registry
Maiden Trip

We set up at Laura's mom's farm for our first trip out with Gladys. We'd finished fabricating the new dog fencing the night before so we were able to deploy this new idea for the first time. Laura's mom has four dogs of her own and this fencing also helps to protect our four small dogs for unwanted visitors as well as keep our babies corralled.

The snaps left from the original screen room were already in place on the lower side of the exterior wall so all we needed to do was add the female side of the connection and it went on pretty easily. I've set our storage totes and coolers on top of the extra length of the fencing skirt to help hold the fence in place.

Sorry the pictures aren't rotated the correct direction but I posted them from my phone yesterday.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of the FGRVr's!
Old 11-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #35

Kentucky
Registry
I’m amazed with the spacious comfort of Gladys! Our third night in a row will be tonight and I am having a blast and really enjoying this maiden trip. The fridge is working great, we are operating on electric only and the plumbing is winterized so we are not using everything but how sweet it is to be able to relax and enjoy finally! First night was down to 21 degrees F, but our little electric space heater kept us warm as toast. I told my Mom she has the best campground facilities ever! Special thanks to my husband Bill who has worked so hard to make everything so smooth and wonderful! This is Laura (not Bill)
Old 11-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #36

Montana
I can imagine how nice the space is after being used to a little egg-style camper. I’m pretty jealous of the 5th wheel Bigfoot. Even my 17’ feels huge compared to the eggs.

And it is really fun to be in the trailer in cold weather.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #37

Kentucky
Registry
fifth wheel landing gear

Gladys is going to need some new landing gear. The current equipment works but both jacks are leaking hydraulic fluid and it's a messy task to deploy or stow them. We are not in a rush to replace the OEM gear, since they are still working, and I'm taking advantage of the off season time to do some research into options.

One of the RV retailers near us in central Kentucky, Keller Trailer Sales, was quick to point out that the hydraulic gear could be repaired pretty easily and very inexpensively. However, we figured out this weekend why hydraulic gear isn't the preferred equipment on new model RVs. That fluid gets pretty stiff when it gets cold and if you have plans for sneaking out of a park early in the morning when the temps are low, you're not gonna' have an easy time getting away quietly. I found myself grumbling about the task and I could easily believe that some might voice some choice words while fighting with the slippery gear.

I've been reading about both manual/crank gear as well as electric landing gear and have a better understanding about how this stuff works and how it's fixed to the camper. I believe we are going to need some technical assistance to install some new gear because most of the installation will require welding an attachment point/bracket to the frame. I'd like to get the electric gear to work and hope to have the ability to use a backup manual crank, just in case an electrical failure.

Still shopping, but we've already discussed this a few times and I believe we'll want to have new gear before next season.

bill(not laura)
Old 11-29-2017, 08:55 AM   #38

Bill here are photo’s of my manual setup.
I want to install 12v. Do you have photo’s of yours? So, I can see how it’s done.
Thanks, Mike
Attached Thumbnails
4F8589F3-395D-40A6-AAB1-CF6E9812109B.jpg   61BC278C-D463-499C-8E4B-E55EDFA17365.jpg  

CC31677B-BC84-4113-B1D6-66A873AFD1B2.jpg  
Old 11-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #39

Kentucky
Registry
could be oem landing gear

Mike,

Our mounting is slightly different, but not by much. I have pictures on my phone that I'll attempt to add to this post after I finish typing. (sorry, the images are rotated because they come from my phone) Our system is probably the OEM installation because we have the owner's manual for these legs. The system includes a secondary plate that has been welded to the frame which has holes drilled through it. The landing gear then is welded to a third plate that has been bolted to the second plate in three places.

It would be relatively easy to unbolt this set of legs and remove them. The issue will be having someone weld and new mount in close proximity to the fiberglass body while protecting our camper from harm. I know that it can be done and the only real issue will be finding someone capable enough to accomplish the modification with care. The space under the storage may be an issue but I can't really tell without the new replacement let to dry fit.

I'd like to get a new set of U-shaped mounting brackets welded to the plates and be able to simply bolt a new leg in place.

bill(not laura)
Attached Thumbnails
A49402EA-8B00-46A9-82F9-C02380DE87E7.jpg   41DCBE1E-9918-45FE-9673-B382DA74CCDA.jpg  

Old 11-29-2017, 05:13 PM   #40

Bill, thanks for the photo’s.
I’m going to change mine out in the spring too this setup.
I’ll add a motor and switch also.
Attached Thumbnails
AF3BA71E-A99B-4B9A-9D3A-2D861E0F5F74.jpg  

Tags
bigfoot