1993 Scamp 16' repair and remodel - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2016, 05:24 PM   #241

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: 1991 16' Casita
North Carolina
The cabinets look terrific, and your comment about being reinvigorated about camping made me smile. You've both worked so very hard on Ziggy, it's wonderful to read posts filled with such joy - very well deserved!

Jonathan

p.s: not to kill the mood and sentiment, but some simple-minded people (ahem, Jonathan) here on the forum (ahem, Jonathan) like pictures a lot... did you take any from the trip that you'd be willing to share?
shaggydoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #242

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Breaks Interstate Park

Jonathan: We had a good time at the Breaks Park. We had planned to arrive on Friday but circumstances prevented getting away from work and starting the weekend early, so, we left early Saturday morning.

We arrived to a pack park because the 66th Annual Christian Music Festival was scheduled for this same weekend. We were able to reserve the last spot in the park and after we arrived I could tell why this spot was left. Wedged in between two roads and on a slight grade, it would not have been my first pick. Put, you make due with what you have, so...we checked in and set up.

After a quick short hike, some of the dog babies weren't really up for another outing for a little while and we decided to try out the Cobb Grill for another baking experiment: Chocolate Chip Cookies on the Cobb. Our fire was too hot and we burned the cookies just like we burned the cake on our last outing, but we still ate them anyway.

The music was, ummm, nice. Not my first choice of entertainment but I will say that they shut down by 10:00 pm and we had no trouble sleeping. The weather was so perfect that we didn't need the A/C all weekend. We did need the heat in the early morning because the temperature dropped down into the 50s.

Here are some shots from our trip.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #243

Kentucky
Registry
more pics

And some others...we enjoyed the Breaks Interstate Park but I don't think we'll be returning soon. It was almost 5 hours one way to the park and we'd prefer less driving and more camping. We're looking forward to Taylorsville Lake and Big Bone Lick, both of which are here in Kentucky.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #244

North Carolina
Love it!! Thanks for posting these up and sharing your adventure!!

Jonathan
Old 09-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #245

Kentucky
Registry
Still pluggin' away

Well, the weather forecast is for storms and rain most of the day so I thought I'd get out and take advantage of the actual sunshine we're enjoying. Hahaha, the weatherman has the only job where you can be consistently wrong and not get fired. Right now it's 93°.

So I deployed the Shady Boy Awning and rounded up my fiberglassing supplies to plug the remaining holes around the A/C slider. First, I had to remove the A/C access door to allow me to get at all the holes and get in there and sand them after the patch was applied.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2016, 05:01 PM   #246

Kentucky
Registry
Rock Guard Awning Mod

Thanks to Michaelcly for the motivation to get this job done. I'd been thinking of doing this for some time and just lacked the motivation.

Anyway, I was patching the rest of the holes in the shell from removing all of the curtains. We're going to try command hooks or maybe custom made brackets from aluminum bar stock; something else to eliminate the holes from the original curtain rod mounting brackets.

I'd patched the holes and was waiting for the fiberglass resin to set and thought of Michael's post show above and thought I'd do it! I thought I had some old tent poles left over from another tent experience but we must have sold them at the last yard sale. No bother, I simply cut a piece of 1" X 2" into 30" pieces so I'd have two legs and then drilled an exterior deck screw into the end of the wood support that I use for the awning upright (instead of the tent pole). I've simply sat the other end of the 1" X 2" on the belly band and used a bungee to put some tension on the pole/support by running from the upper bracket to the belly band. I've added a zip tie to the top of the rock guard to secure the upper brackets so wind won't dislodge the entire affair while it's partially open as an awning. Pretty simple.

It's down and dirty but it'll beat shoving the rock guard under the camper when we're camping and it'll be easy to close it up when it's time to go home.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2016, 06:27 AM   #247

Kentucky
Registry
Not much left to do now

We are planning our next outing and discussed any remaining projects this past weekend. Of the things we believe remain to complete the reno, none of the following items will prevent us from camping:

1. replace the tongue jack
2. install face panel on bed extension
3. install a screen door
4. have the exterior shell repainted
5. repack the wheel bearings
6. finish painting Por15 on the remainder of the frame

We'll prolly wait to mid-winter to have the shell repainted because it'll take Ziggy offline and out of circulation for an extended period when we have that completed. We're thinking of removing all the windows to have the shell painted and re-install/re-seal all windows afterward.

Just thinking out loud...<_<
Old 10-12-2016, 10:42 AM   #248

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
I got an exact replacement at Harbor freight. Noticed they also sell at Tractor supply. I just popped off snap ring and used the old mount.

What do you mean?

3. install a screen door
Please post pictures.

My 88 looked really beat. I used 240 grit wet dry paper and then followed it with an electric buffer. It looks surprisingly good. While it took time, I think if your trailer hasn't any major cracks or damage would take less time than a repaint. Oops, just read your entire thread and see you have the area around fridge to paint....

The joy of trailers!

Doing same on my 88. Wear a hat. Por15 does not work well as hair gel.

Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:02 AM   #249

Kentucky
Registry
absent but still working

Laura and I have been quiet for a little while but we've been working.

We've pulled Ziggy into a local body shop for a quote on painting. The quote from was over $3,000 to level the shell, seal the cracks and paint with a automotive paint. WOW! We decided that we didn't really want to invest in a Mercedes quality paint job for our VW like camper.

So, Laura has completed the research for painting ourselves and we've been busy scrubbing Ziggy to remove any old oxidized finish and mold. It's kinda' late in the year to attempt this but the weatherman says it's also the driest time so we should be able to get a good cover of paint, on the upper half at least, to protect Ziggy through the coming winter. We've been watching for some good weather to burn some vacation days to get things started.

The PO's had caulked the bellyband and it was a mess of gunk and mold so we spent a lot of time and sore fingertips cleaning the yuck out of there. Y'all might want to check your camper if'n somebody has caulked your bellyband because the water was getting in behind there and just molding, pretty badly.
Attached Thumbnails
scrubbing.jpg   bellyband1.jpg  

bellband2.jpg  
Old 10-25-2016, 09:13 AM   #250

Kentucky
Registry
Today is 55° and sunny so...

I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon but I'm using the morning to hit the rock guard with a coat of primer. We've decided that this would be a good test to get a handle on the viscosity of this paint/primer and if I mess something up it's only the rockguard and we can always order a new one, sooo...

I scrubbed that bad boy clean last night in the bath tub and dried if off real good. Left it in the house to complete the drying and I squeegeed the dew off Ziggy this morning. Then I towel dried the upper shell to hasten the morning drying with the idea that I might be able to get a coat of primer on before I have to leave for my doctor's appointment. I don't want to get in a rush on either end of the job so I'm not planning on rushing the drying to paint before it's ready. We'll see...
Attached Thumbnails
primer1.jpg   primer2.jpg  

Old 10-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #251

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NY View Post
I got an exact replacement at Harbor freight. Noticed they also sell at Tractor supply. I just popped off snap ring and used the old mount.

What do you mean?

3. install a screen door
Please post pictures.

My 88 looked really beat. I used 240 grit wet dry paper and then followed it with an electric buffer. It looks surprisingly good. While it took time, I think if your trailer hasn't any major cracks or damage would take less time than a repaint. Oops, just read your entire thread and see you have the area around fridge to paint....

The joy of trailers!

Doing same on my 88. Wear a hat. Por15 does not work well as hair gel.

S: Thanks for checking in on us. Sorry this answer has been so long coming:

1. Our tongue jack is welded on and I'd want that one removed to install a new one. We'll prolly go over the Bluegrass Truck & Trailer to have them do the work.

2. The kick panel is the lower panel that faces the center isle inside the camper across from the sink. We have removed the stove and fridge and built a custom bench that may get a fiberglass panel over the 2X4 frame.

3. The screen door is an item on the "nice to have" list right now and therefore, a lower priority.

4. It's been over 30 years since I've done wheel bearings. It'll be fun.

5. The POR15 is a long standing project that I've been promising since we brought Ziggy home.

Thanx again for stopping by...
Old 10-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #252

Kentucky
Registry
Primed

Well, it took me over three hours to cut in around the windows and the roof vent before rolling the entire upper half, but the top is primed. Boy oh boy, does that stuff dry fast! A body really has to pay attention to any imperfections of your roller work to prevent any "edges" from the roller head. We'll still have to sand a few spots down but overall I'm very pleased with the results. Pay special attention to where I patched the refrigerator vent hole. Now, it's painted over and looking pretty good.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #253

North Carolina
I hope everything goes smoothly for you and am really looking forward to seeing/hearing how things turn out. If $3,000 is the norm for professional paint jobs on these eggs I have a feeling I'll be following in your footsteps!

Jonathan
Old 10-29-2016, 02:12 PM   #254

Kentucky
Registry
1st coat color above the bellyband

It's 80.4° at 4:00 pm and I have just finished the first coat of color on Ziggy, above bellyband. I squeegeed the dew off Ziggy this morning to facilitate drying while I cut the new plexiglass window for the front.

Side note: I called Scamp to order a new window and window seal and the parts guy told me it'd be cheaper and just as good if I bought a piece of plexiglass locally and cut it myself while also avoiding the shipping. He said anything they sold me would need to be trimmed anyway, so no real advantage to buying direct. I found an Ace Hardware that had the piece I needed left over as scrap from another job they had completed and they sold me the window for $25 and I bought a new jig saw blade for $8 at Lowe's. (Ace didn't have it in stock.) Using the old window I traced an outline and cut the new window. That went very smoothly. The new seal arrived from Scamp yesterday along with the new hardware for the rockguard.

After cutting the window replacement the roof had dried sufficiently to begin painting so I finished all the cutting in around the windows I wasn't removing. That took me almost an hour. I jumped into rolling the color on immediately and that took another hour. I used an entire quart of Rustoleum Topside Oyster White, taking care to apply a thin coat, as directed. There are still some areas that show a little primer through this first coat, but I'm very pleased with the results. However, the damn nats like it too and there are more than a few that we'll have to remove from this coat before we apply the second coat. Oh well, that's the fun of painting outside when your garage isn't big enough to get inside. I used one quart each of the primer as well as the Top Side paint for each coat. Tomorrow, we hope to lightly sand the first coat and get a second coat of Top Side.

Here's a picture I took while seated atop the step ladder admiring my work.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2016, 05:48 AM   #255

North Carolina
It sure looks great from here, keep up the terrific work!!

Jonathan
Old 10-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #256

Kentucky
Registry
Another fantastic day of weather

Having such a fine weekend to work outside seems like a blessing so we jumped to take advantage of the opportunity to get more painting completed. We needed to lightly sand the top coat of color from yesterday's so we could get another coat on top of that. Laura and I climbed the ladders to hit the high gloss Top Side Oyster White to knock down the gloss and allow the next coat to adhere better. We used tack cloths to wipe everything down before attacking with the next coat of paint. This paint is really different from the primer and you have to be careful of the wind because any extra paint on your roller or brush can be blow away by a good breeze and you'll have strings of paint all over your work and your clothes.

After finishing the second coat of color while avoiding the the damn nats, I began prepping the bottom of the camper for a coat of primer. I want to remove the battery box as well as the marker light covers and the tail light covers to allow us to get easy access to the lower portions for primer. Turns out the battery box, mounted on the tongue, was very loose. There were only two bolts and both of them almost rusted through so I've cut them off with a chisel and removed the battery box to make painting easier. We'll have to replace the entire box because the bottom of the tray was almost rusted through too.

I used a lesser quality brush to cut in around the bottom of the bellyband and it shows because there will be a lot more sanding (I hate sanding, remember?) of primer before we can get a coat of color on below the bellyband. We bought Top Side Sand Beige for the second color of our two-tone paint job but when we opened the can of the tan the color was so close to the Oyster White that we decided to switch colors to Bright Red and we have three quarts of Sand Beige that we'll prolly save for the next time we decide we have to paint. The color difference between the white and the beige is so subtle that we can use the beige to replace the white in a few/five years and it'll look almost identical.

Anyway, we were able to get the primer on the bottom of the camper before 4:30 pm so it'll have a chance to set up well before the sun sets. I've put "frog tape" on the bellyband and the tape is green so you'll have to ignore the color of the bellyband when you look at these images. You can still see the ghost of the fiberglass patch through the primer on the lower section of the driver's side as well as the front below the window where the sewer hose was mounted. I'm sure the red paint will completely hide these subtle blemishes.

Is this a $3000 paint job? Hell no. Is this a $300 paint job? Prolly, but it's thousands of times better than the raw fiberglass we had that was slowly oxidizing because the gel coat was completely gone. Can't wait to see the final results!
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #257

Kentucky
Registry
significant update

It is important to note that the second quart of primer that we used was..."tough" to work with; I mixed it for twenty minutes, stirring manually, and it still had significant "lumps" in the liquid paint. I was able to roll through the lumps and distribute the lumpy material after I figured out that the lumps could be pushed around to get them to dissolve, but we'll have lots of sanding for the beginning section where I began painting.

I would recommend that, if you can, take the can to a local paint shop and ask them to agitate the paint before you decide to simply stir the can. I suppose you could try to stir the blend into submission, but it may take you quite a bit of stirring. Jus' sayin'...Because of this, a single quart of primer was almost not enough to prime to lower section of the camper. We did get it done, but just barely...
Old 10-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #258

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggydoink View Post
I hope everything goes smoothly for you and am really looking forward to seeing/hearing how things turn out. If $3,000 is the norm for professional paint jobs on these eggs I have a feeling I'll be following in your footsteps!

Jonathan
If you're thinking about painting yours on the cheap side look into Sherwin Williams industrial paint. It's a regular acrylic enamel but branded under their industrial line.

Although you do need a compressor but if you already have one harbor freight hvlp guns are like $10. So you're looking at around $300 to paint a scamp 13, a little more for a Scamp 16. No primer or top coat necessary.

If you do know anyone that works for Sherwin Williams they also get a discount which if I remember was like 50%.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:40 AM   #259

Kentucky
Registry
second coat curing

Well, it's "Trick or Treat" so we'll not be painting anything for a few days. I noticed, last night, while I was checking the results that some of the bubbles needed to have been "tipped" to prevent this on the final coat. I'm also thinking of changing to a narrower roller to make it easier to fit between the snap caps and eliminate some striping that occurs as you roll over a cap.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:43 PM   #260

Kentucky
Registry
Do NOT try this late in the day when you're running out of light

after a full day of work and you're already tired. It is a monster job that will have you exercising ALL of the bad words in your vocabulary and hopefully. Whew!

I/we decided that with rain forecasted for sometime Thursday it might be prudent to get the front replacement window back into the window frame. The paint seemed ready to accept the window molding that I ordered from Scamp so I gathered tools while Laura was on her way home from work. When she arrived, I already had half the rubber molding in the window frame. Of course, I had it upside down and backwards so I simply pulled it back out and started over. That heavy rubber stuff is a Bit...hey, this a family program around here, so let's watch the adult commentary.

So, I reinserted the new window molding and we started on the new plexiglass window together. Well, we wrestled and cussed and fussed and poked and prodded and finally, after almost 45 minutes of adjusting and working at it, we had the new plexiglass replacement window installed. NOT the lock strip though. I figure one major fight per evening is about my quota. (I think Laura will agree with me.) Hope I wasn't too hard to work with but we'll save the installation of the lock strip for tomorrow night. That way, we'll have something to look forward to...yeah, right.

Here's a couple of images from the two parts of the project: before and after...
Attached Images

Tags
all electric, bed extension, bumper mount spare, external fresh water tank, extra overhead cabinets, rebuild, renovation, scamp, sixteen, sliding rear window, thetford casette toilet