1993 Scamp 16' repair and remodel - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #121

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
I also installed the new Shady Boy Awning this afternoon. I thought about it for almost a week trying to decide how to level it without any real good point of reference from which to measure. Finally decided to just eyeball it.

I mounted the first bracket to the Scamp using butyl tape to seal the holes. Once the first bracket was mounted to the Scamp, I attached the awning to the bracket, snug but not tight, having already attached the second bracket to the awning. Once I had the awning attached to the roof by one bracket, I used the second bracket to mark the holes for the second bracket.

After drilling the second set of holes through the Scamp for the second bracket, I carefully pealed the paper backing off the butyl tape and lightly pressed the second bracket into place. I ran inside a pushed the first of three mounting screws through the new holes.

Since I was working alone, I put a crescent wrench onto the nut on the outside of the mount plate and carefully went inside and was able to tighten the stainless 1/4-20 bolts through the stainless lock nut. Repeat for each of the three mounting screws. Once I had them tight, I removed the hex head mount bolts from the Shady Boy and re-set them using Blue Lock Tight into the awning box.

Actually pretty easy, considering everything involved...
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-15-2016, 05:39 PM   #122

Kentucky
Registry
Easy Peasy
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-16-2016, 11:55 AM   #123

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
So how many holes total does it require to mount the shady boy? Did you drill through the rat fur interior? Any photos of the inside installation? I'm still thinking seriously about getting one.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:30 PM   #124

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl M View Post
So how many holes total does it require to mount the shady boy? Did you drill through the rat fur interior? Any photos of the inside installation? I'm still thinking seriously about getting one.
Sheryl: We have elephant skin inside our 91' Scamp and I read about the idea of cutting the rat fur/skin and pealing the wall covering back before drilling the holes so they would be hidden behind the wall lining once you let the covering return to the original position. However, I was feeling a little lazy and figured I would rather not be bothered with that fiddly stuff. Laura may have a different opinion later when she sees the results and I could be in more trouble, but, the job's done.

The instructions are a little confusing in a few spots. In the beginning you are instructed to only use one mounting bolt per side. However, it's not clear if they are talking about the mount to the awning box/back or the holes to be drilled through the fiberglass shell. I chose not to follow the instructions and I drilled six holes total, three at a time, and used a generous application of butyl tape to assist in the mounting/sealing of those holes. After I finished tightening all six mount bolts, I trimmed the excess butyl tape away from the brackets that had been squished out to the sides by compression.

I'm very pleased with the results but the instructions to use/set up the awning are worse than the installation instructions and it's nearly impossible to figure out how to install the poles and tie out the support lines. (The lines do not come with ground stakes.)

I really feel good about our purchase and believe that we have the best solution for an awning. I've seen some of the budget awnings that others are using that are free-standing and I've wondered if we made the right decision, but I believe in the long run, the Shady Boy will prove out as well as bringing it's own storage box as another thing I don't have to "load" into the tow vehicle.

We'll be completing another test of the camper very soon and we'll prolly post our results. Stay tuned...
Old 04-18-2016, 08:45 PM   #125

Kentucky
Registry
7 pin plug on Jeep tow vehicle

I am half way done installing the new seven pin wiring harness on the tow vehicle. THAT was a trick and took me almost three hours. Of course I finished my work for today in the dark because, well, because I don't know when to quit. Laura will tell you that I get an idea in my head and I bull-dog that idea until the idea gives out or I give out: it's a competition thing...

Anyway, I ordered the OEM seven pin kit from Jeep based on the recommendations from the Jeep Wrangler forum where I frequent with my freaky Jeep friends. There are more than a few people using their Jeep Wranglers for towing so there were lots of recommendation about the wiring modification as well as the use of a brake controller. The OEM wiring harness came with all the parts to plug-in-play into the existing wiring harness, including heat-shielded foil wrap on the parts exposed near the exhaust system and other hot parts. The instruction for this installation are pretty bad if you are expecting a lot of help. There are about 16 words included for the over 20 steps to the installation and the instructions are mostly line drawings. A lot of the installation is subjective. An example would be the part that illustrates that after you clear the muffler you are to pull the wiring harness from the back to the front, indicated by an arrow. It would be frustrating for a lot of people. I thrive with this type of instruction and everything turned out exactly perfect. Well, almost,...I still have to pull the wire that connects to the brake controller through the firewall and I can't find the access point since the V6 engine IS SO STINKING HUGE IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. (Oh, that may have been a little frustration showing there...)

So, I have the battery reconnected and the test of the vehicle lights was successful. I still have to mount the seven pin plug on the rear bumper where the four pin plug was mounted but I expect that to only take about 30 minutes. The brake controller won't be delivered until Thursday from Amazon so I should be ready to smack that bad boy in as soon as it arrives. (Yah, right. Big talk since I have to crawl under the dash and I'm over six feet tall in that tiiiiny space.) I remain optimistic that this upgrade will be completed before the end of the week.

That leaves the A/C and Laura and I have discussed using the unit that was in Ziggy when we bought him. I'm gonna plug that thing into the exterior outlet and let it run while I work on the bumper plug and see if the unit will actually cool.

ONWARD!
Old 04-19-2016, 05:33 PM   #126

Kentucky
Registry
We got lights!

I was able to complete the wiring swap from 4 pin to 7 pin tonight with the installation of the 7 pin connector on the Jeep. I was able to have a successful test and the tail lights as well as the turn signals work as prescribed! Whoo hooo!

However, I can't figure a way to get the blue wire through the firewall for the brake controller, which will arrive tomorrow. I'm on my way over to the WranglerForum.com to check in with the guys/gals that have already completed this task and find out how they connected the controller.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:31 PM   #127

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
However, I can't figure a way to get the blue wire through the firewall for the brake controller, which will arrive tomorrow. I'm on my way over to the WranglerForum.com to check in with the guys/gals that have already completed this task and find out how they connected the controller.
All you really need is to find a grommeted hole and slip your wire threw.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:08 AM   #128

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
All you really need is to find a grommeted hole and slip your wire threw.
Dave, that's what I've been looking for, without success. I have a picture that was texted to me from another Jeep Forum member to show me exactly where to look, but I am not optimistic. I'm going home for lunch to look.

My brake controller arrived today so I'm ready to finish this job but I need to buy and 20 amp auto-reset breaker for the power supply line. That's not a big deal either. Jus' sayin'...

Wish me luck.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:41 PM   #129

Kentucky
Registry
Git 'er done!

Brake controller is INstalled! Took me three evenings after work but I got 'er done tonight. I have to confess that I couldn't have done it without the guys from the Jeep Wrangler Forum. Those guys know their stuff and they jumped right in to help out with instructions, emails, pictures, private messages and all sorts of support. I love those guys.

I have installed two new circuits within the Jeep; one for the new 7 pin tow cable and one for the brake controller. Both new legs are fused with automatic reset breakers.

We're ready to hit the road! (Well, not really, because we still have a lot of fiberglass work to complete, holes to patch, etc. but we're road ready.) Let's camp!
Old 04-21-2016, 05:45 PM   #130

Kentucky
Registry
Remaining projects

I still have to reinstall the A/C on the new slide out drawer slides and we want to have a test of the extended table that will afford us more sleeping space, so I'll have to build a test table to extend the dinette sleeping area into the isle to test our theory for more sleeping space.

Neither of these project will keep us from camping but I'll be working on the temporary sleeping table extension tomorrow night.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #131

Kentucky
Registry
New fire extinguisher mounted last night.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:12 PM   #132

Kentucky
Registry
getting ready for our maiden trip

I've added the Kentucky State vehicle inspection sticker, mounted the license plate and reinstalled the insulation to the lower cabinets that was removed for cleaning/painting. Laura is busy putting the finishing touches on some custom bedding for our temporary extended bed and we're half packed for this weekend and tomorrow we'll hook up and pull Ziggy around the block to complete the final test of the new 7 pin wiring plug and trailer braking system.

The air is buzzing with anticipation!
Old 04-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #133

Kentucky
Registry
Road Ready, we're going!

We took Ziggy out for a road test last night and danged if'n that stupid door wouldn't stay shut, even with new hinges. Shoot!!! Well, we just motored over to Lowe's to look for a new hasp to lock the door shut because the 550 cord doesn't hold it shut tight enough to keep stuff from falling out...so...

We barely get into the parking lot and out of the Jeep when we're approached by another couple saying, "We love you camper!" Ya just can't go anywhere...hahaha. It was funny because this is the first time we've been out of the driveway and less than four miles from home and BAM! Somebody's gotta stop us while they admire Ziggy. How cool is that!

(I'll be installing the new lock set this afternoon before we head over the camp grounds for our maiden adventure.)
Old 04-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #134

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
I love reading your posts on all that you have been working on! I'm excited right along with you for your first trip!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #135

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
I love reading your posts on all that you have been working on! I'm excited right along with you for your first trip!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
emij: I didn't know anyone else was watching!? Thanx for your kind words. We'll be keeping notes as well as pictures so we can update our "kit" as things progress. The weather forecast doesn't look good but we're so excited we're going anyway. This adventure has been a dream since before last November when we bought our Scamp so we've been feeling excited for the weather to change as well as the improvements we've made to Ziggy.

Let's Camp!
Old 05-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #136

Kentucky
Registry
maiden adventure camp report

My report of our maiden adventure can be found here in the Camping, Camp Out Reports section of the forum. What a great time we had. We have reprioritized our to-do list and will be working toward getting ready for our next adventure!
Old 05-02-2016, 05:45 PM   #137

Kentucky
Registry
picture of new door lock

We had to add this lockset to keep the door shut while driving.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2016, 06:03 AM   #138

Kentucky
Registry
Next priority will be the MaxxAir vent fan. It looks like Kellers in Somerset is a retailer for these so I'll be looking to pick one up very soon. Still undecided about how to mount: replace the escape hatch or cut a new hole...hummmmm.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:52 PM   #139

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16, 1983
Maryland
My scamp had a maxx air vent when I bought it, but the vent cover was warped and didn't seal, and didn't move well either. I bought a replacement vent on Amazon and found that it was set up for standard stick built roof thickness, and wouldn't fit the super thin scamp roof. In taking things apart I also found that the roof was deformed, dished in a little at the vent which caused water to pool and ultimately leak at the vent.
I solved both problems by making a small frame to increase the roof thickness, and glassed it to the roof with west epoxy and glass tape. I supported the roof from below with a 2x4, stuck it down with epoxy and screws from below. The screws fell inside the vent bezel. I made the Frame from that plastic wood used for trim and so far has held up well. Here are a couple pics of the frame before I put the vent in. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1462330296.580713.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	94792Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1462330354.112434.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	94793

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
dbdbgriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #140

Kentucky
Registry
dbdb: Thanks for sharing your pics. I will use your idea of the plastic framing for our install. We've done this in the past for other projects and it has worked very well.

Tags
all electric, bed extension, bumper mount spare, external fresh water tank, extra overhead cabinets, rebuild, renovation, scamp, sixteen, sliding rear window, thetford casette toilet