2009 Scamp 13' LED Light Replacements - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2016, 01:52 PM   #1

Name: Ginny
Trailer: '09 Scamp 13' w/ Bath
Oklahoma
2009 Scamp 13' LED Light Replacements

MORE QUESTIONS! Thanks all for answering.

Another project on the early radar is to upgrade the tail/side lights to LED. The existing bulbs are very dim, and I would like to upgrade to something better.

How do I go about figuring out what shape/model my lights are for a 2009 13' Scamp? I see lots of info about Bargman lights, but they are numbered.. (for example, I am pretty sure our clearance lights on the side are #99)... but, is there any way to confirm?

I would like to keep the stock or original shape/design as much as possible. I am also open to using the old housing and putting in new electronics, but I read some here about the plastic not being cut to reflect the LED light the same way as incandescent, so, it is better to replace the colored plastic with the kit to something that is specifically designed to reflect the LED light the most efficiently.

Thoughts??
fieldphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Would this unit be appropriate?
https://www.etrailer.com/p-47-84-610.html

My current lights have a white bulb and the red, with turn signals, running lights, and brakes... the ones posted above are solid red. Is that ok?
Old 08-07-2016, 08:16 PM   #3

Oklahoma
I found a great blog where someone had done exactly what I wanted to do....

Here:
Just Finding Our Way: Bright Lights

Also Here (but not on a Scamp):
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...eds-14443.html

So far so good!! I have replaced the left, the right light should arrive tomorrow. It is nice to see a comparison of the two (see pics below). The pics don't do it justice, they are really significantly brighter. Worth the time and effort, especially for daytime visibility.

Pictures are here, with more pics to follow:
https://goo.gl/photos/1U5Y5jr3jbrYxnAA6

A few things to note if you decide to try this simple upgrade.

1. The wiring is a bit different. There is an extra white wire (you only need to connect 1) and a red wire. The red wire is a backup light, which isnt used in the Scamp (at least not my model) and it can also be capped. So, you will just connect green to green, black to black, and one white to white.

2. I did caulk around the light as well. the bulbs are self contained, but the wiring is partially exposed on the back... the light snugs to the curve of the Scamp well, but a small bead of sealant/caulk (I used a white tub and tile- mildew resistant) will remove any fears of water getting to the wires.

3. These lights are asymmetrical. When ordering, make sure you order 1 left (with license plate holder) and 1 right.

4. You will need slightly longer screws. I suggest stainless steel 3/4" #8 pan head screws. You will also need to drill 2 new holes (the bottom holes will line up), and while one of the top screws will be covered by the new light, the other will be slightly exposed. If you caulk as mentioned above, you can fill the little hole in, no biggie.

I will post more pics after I get the other light installed tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13
Minnesota
This is very helpful, thank you for sharing the instruction and photos. I will do this upgrade on ours in the spring.
jkruzitski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:39 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Let me know if you need any help!
Old 12-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #6

Minnesota
Will do, thanks! I had success replacing the Mouse hole power plug with a Furrion Marine Grade power inlet, so this should be similar in terms of effort. Our 13' is incarcerated in an indoor storage facility until May so it will be a while.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:22 AM   #7

Minnesota
One more question

Sorry Ginny - just one more question before I dive in to this. Did you use self-tapping screws or bolts/nuts to secure the LED fixtures? Thanks.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:31 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkruzitski View Post
Sorry Ginny - just one more question before I dive in to this. Did you use self-tapping screws or bolts/nuts to secure the LED fixtures? Thanks.
Can't say 100% but rivets are generally used to attach all the lights and such if it's mounted into FG. I saw Ginny's pics of her tail lights and she did use screws, maybe there's some wood behind the tail lights in a Scamp.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:30 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Can't say 100% but rivets are generally used to attach all the lights and such if it's mounted into FG. I saw Ginny's pics of her tail lights and she did use screws, maybe there's some wood behind the tail lights in a Scamp.
Looking at Ginny's original lights they were and she mentioned it mounted with screws.

I find "Sheet Metal Screws" a very good solution to use when attaching to fiberglass. Despite what some claim I find they hold well in fiberglass and are easily removed if needed. Readily available with different style heads and in Stainless Steel.
https://www.boltdepot.com/Sheet_metal_screws.aspx

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, scamp