2020 Casita Upgrades and Modifications - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2020, 11:48 AM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
2020 Casita Upgrades and Modifications

Casita has added or changed some features in their trailers for the 2020 models. I personally like a few of them. A short official review of the new model by Casita can be viewed by watching their YouTube video. A link is provided below.

There were several modifications that I particularly like. A few may be appropriate for other makes and years of trailers as well.

1. A 7-pin receptacle for protection of the trailer cable when not connected to the towing vehicle. I love this addition. I am currently using a Zip Lock bag over the connector with a Velcro strap firmly holding the bag in place. This is particularly important when the trailer is not in use.

2. New shutter see-through window on the door. I like this as it allows one to see out the door or to shutter the window closed as needed. Great for seeing who is at the door before opening the door. I don't know if RV door windows are a standard size, but if they are, I really like this one. I don't know how difficult these windows are to replace.

3. New vent fan in the wet bath with a LED light around the perimeter of the fan. Provides a brighter light and light where you need it in the wet bath.

4. Fold down shelf located at the end of the kitchen cabinet providing additional food prep area. It does extend into the main dinette seating area when pulled up for use. I don't have the size, but it appears to be approximately 10 inches by 14 inches.

5. Coiled outdoor shower hose uses quick disconnect. The hose is now a coiled hose with what looks like a pneumatic air hose quick disconnect setup. The shower nozzle is also new and looks like a garden hose sprayer and not a cheap plastic shower head previously used. The advantage is being able to keep the hose from freezing in cold weather. The disadvantage is the shower hose is no longer stored in the outdoor shower compartment. The entire shower hose system appears to be better quality and more durable.

6. Digital key-pad door lock, which also includes the old key lock system.

Since many brands of trailers use many of the same components, I feel that items 1, 3, 4, and possibly 5 could be used or adapted to any FG trailer.

I am hoping to upgrade my 2019 with a few of these features. I sent a email to Casita of ask which any of the options were available and for pricing. I received an email telling me they were temporarily shut down, so they were not able to provide pricing and availability.

Casita is currently closed until April 9th. An email from them stated that they "should" be back by April 9th.

I hope Casita lovers will find this information helpful.

Happy Camping!
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Funny, every one of those new "upgrades" mentioned were already done by most of us Casita owners long before the Casita factory folks, (who read all the Casita forums regularly,) ever stole, er, I mean incorporated, every one of these upgrades that some of us have done and had for many years. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:19 PM   #3

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
Re: #1 I tried both a protective cap and baggie with rubber band here on the wet side of Washington. Both resulted in trapping moisture and huge corrosion. I now make sure to leave the cord hanging so the connector is off the ground facing down. It stays dry and corrosion is a thing of the past.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I push my cord up over the frame, under the propane tank cover.
I had tried a latex glove and elastic band and somehow the glove filled up with rainwater.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:34 PM   #5

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
7-pin receptacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
1. A 7-pin receptacle for protection of the trailer cable when not connected to the towing vehicle. I love this addition. I am currently using a Zip Lock bag over the connector with a Velcro strap firmly holding the bag in place. This is particularly important when the trailer is not in use.
I use this one, but when I went out to mount it in January, the cable ties broke and I used hose clamps.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFFC0IU..._t2_B00IN9II5E
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:46 AM   #6

Idaho
7-Pin Connector Storage Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
I use this one, but when I went out to mount it in January, the cable ties broke and I used hose clamps.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFFC0IU..._t2_B00IN9II5E

I like your solution. I find that almost all cable ties have a short life when exposed to UV light (the sun). Hose clamps sound like an excellent solution. I assume you used stainless steel clamps.

I have the Zip Lock bag positioned so that the opening of the bag is facing down and should drain out any moisture in the bag (hopefully).

I searched for other 7-pin solutions prior to initiating this thread and only found what I considered poor options. I could not find any options that looked like what Casita is using. Since I only have the short YouTube segment to go by, I don't know that Casita's solution is a good one. I considered it better than none.

If a connector is left exposed to the elements (directly or indirectly), the contacts are going to corrode regardless of the position of the connector. The connector also makes a perfect home for spiders, dust, etc.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:12 AM   #7

Washington
Registry
Little House Customs sells one, (and has for several years now... I know, I have one,) that works out quite well. I just attached mine to the upright post of the tongue jack. It sits vertically and the plug goes in from the bottom, facing upward. It keeps rain, debris and anything else out of the plug.

https://littlehousecustoms.com/store.html#elec Scroll down until you come to the CONNECTOR STORAGE BRACKET. Works real good and is easy and simple to both install and use.
Attached Thumbnails
Jack-E-Up.JPG  
Old 04-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13 Layout B
Washington
Question: when one does find corrosion on 7-pins, how do you go about cleaning them? Is there a solvent or spray cleaner you would recommend? Thanks
sweendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
A lot of nice touches now with Casita, both interior and exterior. I'm impressed.....
Old 04-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #10

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweendog View Post
Question: when one does find corrosion on 7-pins, how do you go about cleaning them? Is there a solvent or spray cleaner you would recommend? Thanks
https://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Pr.../dp/B004WIWOUA

It's probably a little more than most folks care to spend for something they will not use all the time, but these are probably the best. With a little ingenuity you can probably fashion something similar yourself.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #11

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Just give it a spritz of WD-40 once and awhile. Works great
Old 04-03-2020, 11:16 AM   #12

Washington
Registry
WD-40 will attract road dirt. I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:19 AM   #13

Texas
Registry
If it does just rinse off the plug with some WD-40.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:24 AM   #14

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
Use a electrical lubricating grease on you terminals this keeps them free of corrosion and aid in completing an electrical connection, it can be found at any parts store.

I have found that Casita is very slow at making changes, many of the ones they have incorporated in the 2020 have been suggested by owners for years. Must be new people at Casita moving things along.
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #15

Texas
Registry
As for Casita making modifications that many Casita owners have already made is more than likely the reason Casita made them. I installed one of those tinted door windows with the sliding shade and love it. I have noticed that those frosted door windows are pretty common on many different brands of trailers and for the life of me I can't figure out the reasoning for them. I know that Harley Davidson incorporated many ideas that were first thought of by customers. I don't see that as being slow to make changes as much as paying attention to what the customers like.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:40 AM   #16

Pennsylvania
Registry
Lee,
Can you post the source for the window replacement with the slide? As far as the plug protection, I have been using this for past 10 years, mounted on the Escape propane cover. There is also one for the tongue jack. Mounted vertically, any condensation is addressed. Both available at Amazon
Attached Thumbnails
61ip3Xh6GJL._AC_UL640_QL65_ML3_.jpg   51M3XGgF9KL._AC_SL1000_.jpg  

Old 04-03-2020, 11:43 AM   #17

Texas
Registry
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-03-2020, 12:14 PM   #18

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
I have had this window on my Amazon shopping list for a while.

I can not tell if the new Casita window is double paned with the shade enclosed or if the shade is open and unprotected like in the link from Lee.

Question: Which window works best? Lasts longer? If I understand the window in the link, you install the window for a shade to slide up or to slide down. Is that correct? I don't believe it slides both directions. Comments on which works best?

My thought about Casita's window is that it appears that one will always have a part of the shade blocking the view, even when fully open. Much like looking through prison bars. I assume that with the window in Lee's link, the shade slides up or down to minimal blocking of one's view. I appears to me that the Casita window is tinted. Is that true of the window in the link?
Old 04-03-2020, 12:21 PM   #19

Pennsylvania
Registry
My Escape door window is supposed to be double paned, will not know until I take it apart?
Old 04-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #20

Texas
Registry
The window in the link is tinted and I have seen YouTube videos where the shade is installed to be pulled down or to be pulled up. Its up to the customer. I don't notice the shade blocking the view where as the old frosted window provided no view.

Tags
casita