2021 Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe Factory Upgrade Suggestions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-24-2021, 01:03 PM   #1

Name: Al
Trailer: Currently shopping
Texas
2021 Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe Factory Upgrade Suggestions

OK group, this is what we ordered and the upgrades, We are allowed one modification before pickup in June. Any suggestions on something I missed that they may have added since we ordered in Sept or any thoughts at all. I know that there are upgrades after the factory which we are looking into. I am looking for just Factory upgrades that I may have missed since ordering in August. Thanks so much

CASITA TRAVEL TRAILER YR. MODEL 2021 $ 22,694.00
MODEL 17' FREEDOM DELUXE
COLOR BLUE SLATE CUSHIONS
1 Furnace 499.00 499.00
1 Aluminum Cased Patio Awning 879.00 879.00
1 25 Gallon Fresh Water Tank Upgrade 79.00 79.00
1 LED Interior & Exterior Lights 139.00 139.00
1 15" Aluminum Alloy Wheels 269.00 269.00
1 Sealed Maintenance Free Deep Cycle Battery Upgrade 279.00 279.00
1 Electric Tongue Jack 189.00 189.00
1 Friction Anti Sway Control 89.00 89.00

1 Folding Kitchen Shelf 89.00 89.00
1 Surge Protector 97.00 97.00
1 Casita Travel Kit 99.00 99.00
1 Water Filter 25.00 25.00
1 High Lift Suspension Package (High Lift Axle, 15" D rated Radial Tires) 199.00 199.00
1 Video Entertainment Package (22" HD TV w/DVD, TV Antenna w/amp, Cable Ready) 499.00 499.00

1 Solar Port 89.00 89.00
indysafe317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:27 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Solar

Get a roof mounted solar panel.
Steve
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:43 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Do they offer or can you get a surface mount power cord? Its an option on Escape, I will never go back to the "stuff it into a cabinet" from the outside ever again. On battery, I'd seriously consider upgrading to lithium instead rather than paying for an AGM.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:45 AM   #4

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Get a Andersen “No Sway” Distribution Hitch option available instead of the anti-sway bar. I have a 2014 SD Casita and installed one myself this past year. It works soooo much better than my anti-sway did!
Kevin Probst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:00 PM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Casita Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Do they offer or can you get a surface mount power cord? Its an option on Escape, I will never go back to the "stuff it into a cabinet" from the outside ever again. On battery, I'd seriously consider upgrading to lithium instead rather than paying for an AGM.
I agree with Bill about the battery. Unfortunately, I do not believe that Casita offers lithium batteries. If you do plan to upgrade to lithium, I would not waste money like I did on the AGM battery upgrade.

Bill, I am not aware of the surface mount power cord you mentioned. Would you expand on that?

A previous post suggested roof mounted solar. I seriously doubt your Casita has room for roof mounted solar. I opted for the Zamp 230 suitcase model they offered. It has worked well for me. Additionally if you park the trailer in the shade, you will not be able to move your solar panels into the sun where they really need to be. NOTE: I see you did not mention a roof mounted Coleman A/C unit. So maybe there is room for solar on the roof. I believe the Maxx Air roof ventilation is standard. So you will need to consider that if putting solar on the roof.

I also opted for the TV antenna with amp. Unless you are going to be within 10 to 15 miles of a broadcasting station, the TV antenna is not going to be of much use. Even then, it has very limited capability. It is one of these window film type antennas they place in the wall of the wet bath. If you decide you want to change it out for something better you will not have access to it unless you tear the wet bath apart. There is an TV cable that runs the length of the trailer in the overhead cabinets over the side dinette where you could tie in if you were so inclined.

I am not sure Casita offers the double step or not, but I would suggest the double entry step if offered. I purchased the very heavy step they offered as an accessory and feel that was also a waste of money when better options are available even if not from Casita themselves.

Keep in mind that the total gross trailer towing weight is important. On my Spirit Deluxe, there is a sticker inside the door of the trailer that states maximum added weight is I believe 1100 pounds. This includes fresh water, grey water, black water and propane. I believe the dry weight of the Casita Spirit Deluxe is approximately 2650 pounds. Specs on your specific trailer will be different.

Keep in mind, this is just my two-cents worth based on my own limited experience. There are others on this forum with a great deal more experience and knowledge who can better advise you than I can.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:41 PM   #6

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Additions

Many, many Casita owners tow with absolutely no problems with the friction anti-sway bar. Unless you are towing with a small front-wheel drive vehicle, a WDH is not necessary.

The only thing I would have liked on my Casita 17FD was an option for better stabiizers. The Attwood standed stabilizers are a PITA and tend to have problems over time.

Comments about what you already ordered are probably moot, because I doubt you can eliminate them, but instread only add one additonal option. However, if I am wrong about that, I have read that AGM batteries are not a cost-effective option. Unless you are going to do a lot of boondocking, there is no need to spend big bucks for a lithium battery.
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
1)Based on our style of camping , cost , temperature limitations and operating characteristics. we could not justify switching to lithium batteries
2)We converted the power cord on our Casita so it was removable
Simple & inexpensive - stored cord in bed of truck
3) LHC offers a dual entry step
4) We used a 100 watt Renogy portable solar suitcase with our Casita . We found it to be more than adequate . Our current trailer has two rooftop solar panels which work well if you park your trailer in full sun
5) We added front stabilizers to our Casita , which helped immensely
6) The Casita TV factory antenna works okay if you are close to a TV antenna tower .We added a different antenna to get better range
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Despite many of us "converting" our shore power hook-ups to a marine grade twist-lock removeable cord configurations, Casita still doesn't offer this feature, even as an upgrade. Easy enough to do yourself though, and probably for a lot less than Casita would charge if they even offered it.
I installed a larger access hatch in addition to the Marinco shore power outlet. The larger hatch gives you more access to that space for additional storage, access to the back of the converter if you should want to add extra circuits, and it also allowed me to mount my Progressive Industries EMS unit to the floor of the compartment. I prefer to have my EMS unit locked inside my trailer, (out of sight-out of mind,) for theft prevention as opposed to hanging a portable unit on the site power pedestal that can easily grow legs.

https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-Z.../dp/B007HRTSBG

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw30c

https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-Stand...12DYXSAY&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
New Electrical Hatch2.JPG   New Electrical Hatch1.JPG  

New Electrical Hatch3.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:37 AM   #9

Name: Doug
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by indysafe317 View Post
OK group, this is what we ordered and the upgrades, We are allowed one modification before pickup in June. Any suggestions on something I missed that they may have added since we ordered in Sept or any thoughts at all. I know that there are upgrades after the factory which we are looking into. I am looking for just Factory upgrades that I may have missed since ordering in August. Thanks so much

CASITA TRAVEL TRAILER YR. MODEL 2021 $ 22,694.00
MODEL 17' FREEDOM DELUXE
COLOR BLUE SLATE CUSHIONS
1 Furnace 499.00 499.00
1 Aluminum Cased Patio Awning 879.00 879.00
1 25 Gallon Fresh Water Tank Upgrade 79.00 79.00
1 LED Interior & Exterior Lights 139.00 139.00
1 15" Aluminum Alloy Wheels 269.00 269.00
1 Sealed Maintenance Free Deep Cycle Battery Upgrade 279.00 279.00
1 Electric Tongue Jack 189.00 189.00
1 Friction Anti Sway Control 89.00 89.00

1 Folding Kitchen Shelf 89.00 89.00
1 Surge Protector 97.00 97.00
1 Casita Travel Kit 99.00 99.00
1 Water Filter 25.00 25.00
1 High Lift Suspension Package (High Lift Axle, 15" D rated Radial Tires) 199.00 199.00
1 Video Entertainment Package (22" HD TV w/DVD, TV Antenna w/amp, Cable Ready) 499.00 499.00

1 Solar Port 89.00 89.00
I would ditch the Italian made awning – biggest regret on our 2017. We have not even used it. It is cheap and flimsy. Also extra holes through your fiberglass. We use a 10 x 10 tent type awning in front of the camper which works way better and is more stable.

Unless possibly you have a very small tow vehicle you don’t need the weight distribution system – we tow with a Toyota tundra and just use the anti-sway friction bar-we have a much larger camper that we do use a weight distribution system with.

Agree with adding a two-step entry post Rice.

We got the cable ready package and the TV mount Got a TV for $89 at Walmart and just installed ourselves-much cheaper.

We never got the furnace-we do live in South Carolina but camp year-round and just use the heat strip that’s part of the air conditioner. That gives us more than enough heat. Remember Fiberglass campers-especially something like a Casita that is insulated on the walls-hold heat better.
Artoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:18 PM   #10

Oregon
In my humble opinion-
I definitely like the Anderson WDH. Not so much for sway but works great to reduce rodeo bucking when travel over road bumps. Dramatic difference and not necessary to slow down nearly as much. The ride is much smoother and feels safer for me. This dampening really reduces jarring of the trailer contents.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:40 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Probst View Post
In my humble opinion-
I definitely like the Anderson WDH. Not so much for sway but works great to reduce rodeo bucking when travel over road bumps. Dramatic difference and not necessary to slow down nearly as much. The ride is much smoother and feels safer for me. This dampening really reduces jarring of the trailer contents.

Same as other weight distribution hitches, like Pro Series ETI sells for half what Andersen costs, and you don't have to deface a national monument to own one.
https://www.idahostatejournal.com/me...53287525d.html
Old 01-30-2021, 01:52 PM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
Bill, I am not aware of the surface mount power cord you mentioned. Would you expand on that?.
Its a surface mounted plug in on the outside of the trailer. You then attach an RV extension cord. Picture above is it.

I converted my old 1977 Trillium to such a plug in. Eliminates an opening that mice and bugs use to enter your trailer. In addition, in the case of the Casita I owned, the cord would tend to get caught on stuff inside the cabinet, a major PITA!

Its optional on Escape. If I were King, I'd make it mandatory. Easy enough to cord the stock cord, install a 40A outlet hatch, and you are there.

An example on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Cords...036350&sr=8-20
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:59 PM   #13

NW Wisconsin
I would equip your trailer based on how , where and when you wish to camp
When looking at post stating that an option is a necessity or a waste of money I always check where the poster lives and how they camp .
We use our trailer to travel the USA & Canada in all 4 seasons , camping with and without hookups , so a furnace , air conditioning, an awning and solar are necessities .
We’ve had several options on our FG trailers that we seldom use but I don’t regret purchasing them . There are several options we failed to get that we do regret not getting
Old 01-30-2021, 02:58 PM   #14

Oregon
Glenn, your certainly right! That A-hole defacing a national monument was disgusting. I bought and installed it prior to when that was reported. Would have bought something else if this jerk’s actions were reported prior to my purchase!
Old 01-30-2021, 02:59 PM   #15

Name: Doug
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Despite many of us "converting" our shore power hook-ups to a marine grade twist-lock removeable cord configurations, Casita still doesn't offer this feature, even as an upgrade. Easy enough to do yourself though, and probably for a lot less than Casita would charge if they even offered it.
I installed a larger access hatch in addition to the Marinco shore power outlet. The larger hatch gives you more access to that space for additional storage, access to the back of the converter if you should want to add extra circuits, and it also allowed me to mount my Progressive Industries EMS unit to the floor of the compartment. I prefer to have my EMS unit locked inside my trailer, (out of sight-out of mind,) for theft prevention as opposed to hanging a portable unit on the site power pedestal that can easily grow legs.

https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-Z.../dp/B007HRTSBG

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw30c

https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-Stand...12DYXSAY&psc=1
Wow, you did a fantastic job – wish I was that handy because I would do this in a heartbeat. Agree I wish that had been upgrade – we would’ve gotten it. It makes so much sense.
Artoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:10 PM   #16

Name: John
Ohio
[OK group, this is what we ordered and the upgrades, We are allowed one modification before pickup in June. Any suggestions on something I missed that they may have added since we ordered in Sept or any thoughts at all. I know that there are upgrades after the factory which we are looking into. I am looking for just Factory upgrades that I may have missed since ordering in August. Thanks so much

------------------------------------------

Air Conditioner!

If you use AC at home you'll definitely want AC on the road.

Happy trails,
JohnB
jobat38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:07 PM   #17

Florida
Agree

Yes indeedie...AC...I did not notice that within the almost all available options you ordered that AC was not on the list. AC will make your summer camping much more enjoyable.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:19 PM   #18

NW Wisconsin
When we purchased our 17ft Casita in 2013 , the air conditioner with heat strip was standard equipment. Is the A/C now an option ?
Old 01-31-2021, 10:10 PM   #19

Florida
AC

Maybe AC is standard, and not an option, when one orders the delux model, such as FD?
Old 02-01-2021, 04:16 AM   #20

Name: Sheri
Trailer: In the market
CA
Skip awning & TV pkg

I just purchased my Casita last month. I would skip the awning because it is a sun shade only which handles very little wind. I would invest in a better quality awning that can stand a little more rain and wind, since that's often what you want it for... So you can still be out on rainy days.

I would also skip the entertainment package because the TV is very poor quality and it's not even a smart TV. It's not worth $500. I think you could easily do a much nicer entertainment set up for less that allows you to stream.
sypfautz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita