3M 5952 VHB tape - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2020, 01:08 AM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
3M 5952 VHB tape

I have been doing some VHB (“Very High Bond” in this case) tape research tonight and find about 80 types of 3M VHB for different applications, plus many other companies as well. This 13-minute video compares several of the brands. For now, I guess I will stick with the 3M 5952.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:23 AM   #2

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
I am certainly not an engineer in any form or fashion but the last two test caught my eye in that his set up seemed to be pulling at an angle outward and not straight up in a shear fashion. Is my thinking way off? Thanks for the demo. Good info.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:28 PM   #3

Name: Arthur
Trailer: Between RV's But Shopping
Mississippi
Home Grown Testing ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
I am certainly not an engineer in any form or fashion but the last two test caught my eye in that his set up seemed to be pulling at an angle outward and not straight up in a shear fashion. Is my thinking way off? Thanks for the demo. Good info.

In my opinion even the tensile strength test at the beginning was flawed since he only used one attach point allowing more of an angled separation. I would think a stable two/three point connection would have been preferred for a constant force in one direction.

And ... I agree with you. But, since I've done strength testing in a manufacturing environment, I'm a wee bit biased.

However, all-in-all it still gives you a good idea on each versions ability to stick.

Arthur II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:58 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Furthermore there is quite a bit of information on the 3M website to help figure out which type of VHB tape is best for different applications, along with how to prepare the surfaces, etc. There is much more science to it than many people know.

BTW for mounting things inside my camper I have had better luck with the Gorilla mounting tape in the picture than I have with the VHB tape I used (Sorry but dont recall the variety of VHB tape). And Gorilla mounting tape is available at stores everywhere!
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:20 AM   #5

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
I had a 17 'Bigfoot and now a 21', I secured my solar panel with 3M following the directions shown on the videos, I regularly check its strength and never had a problem.
After 3 years I removed my solar panel from our 17 ', still following the directions from one of the videos on this site, and no marks or injuries appeared.
I fixed my panel on the 21 'still with 3M ...
I am satisfied.

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote