3M Thinsulate insulation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2022, 11:21 AM   #1

Name: Penny
Trailer: Monarch Ventura
British Columbia
Question 3M Thinsulate insulation

Wondering if anyone has used the Thinsulate SM600L recommended for insulation in vans in their fiberglass trailers? I got a good deal on a part roll, I plan to use it over the wheel wells for sure since the rigid silverboard I used for the floor doesn't really conform well to the curves, but was wondering if I should use the remainder to insulate the ceiling and curved ends? In vans the material is glued directly to the inner panels, it is resistant to moisture and mold. I don't have enough to do the side walls but they are easily done with the silverboard I used for the floor. Our trailer is a 76 Ventura
Penny Eadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:15 PM   #2

Name: Joel
Trailer: Casita SD
Texas
According to 3M's website, it's mostly for reducing noise - not for reducing heat loss or gain.
JoelInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:04 PM   #3

Name: Penny
Trailer: Monarch Ventura
British Columbia
I've checked the website already, rated at R5.2 which is very similar to the silverboard I have on the floor. I'm looking for anyone that actually has experience using it with the fibreglass shell as it meets the requirements for insulation value at 3.25 per inch as compared to fibreglass, depending on the type of fiberglass insulation you use – batt, attic, or wall – the R-value can range from 2.2–4.3 per inch. The main reason I am considering using this as opposed to traditional materials is that the fibres are hydrophobic, this
material will not absorb water. Therefore the risk of mildew and odours developing are minimal allowing this product to be used in humid or moist conditions which is an important consideration in travel trailers.
The reason the website hypes the sound and vibration proofing features of this material compared to fibreglass or rockwool is that the price is considerably higher than those materials, but in my situation the cost difference is not a factor, I got a great deal on what I have
Penny Eadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 02:36 PM   #4

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
Have used similar products in vans and hotrod builds. There are a ton of similar products. The foil / air cells make a huge difference in ceiling temps. Also big time noise reduction. Biggest advantage is the ease of install. Lots of info if you substitute hotrod for camper in you Google search. https://youtu.be/GuvWumoNo8w
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote