50 dollar awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #1

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
50 dollar awning

We wanted to leave for a short trip and rain was predicted. Since I hadn't taken much of a look what was available in the way of ready made awnings I decided to just temporairly go with a tarp.

Then I thought, "why not just make up a couple of poles to hold the outer ends". Then I thought, "why not make a couple of cross poles also" Then I thought, "hmm, what would happen if the pole on the trailer was pulled back tight into the ridge in the roof" and before you know it I'd made an awning

I only used a white poly tarp thinking it would only be temporary but it worked so well I won't be in any hurry to change it.

We used the awning in heavy rain and it worked well. The ropes hold the pole on the roof both down and pulled sideways firmly against the ridge. There is a pole running to the outer pole at the center point. It serves to keep tension on the tarp and provide a mini ridge causing the water not to be able to pool in the center but to run and drain to either side. There is also an outer flap that drops down, if required, to block evening sun.

This might be an "accidental awning" but it works for me.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
28-05-2012 10-06-16 PM  0012_resize.JPG   28-05-2012 10-06-19 PM  0027_resize.JPG  

28-05-2012 10-06-20 PM  0028_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #2

Name: Eric & Stephanie
Trailer: currently without
Idaho
I like your awning idea!! It gave me some inspiration.
sanders3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:45 AM   #3

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
I love the design...did any water leak between the roof and the tarp to drip down to the windows and door? My biggest gripe about our factory awning is the darn drips down the side when it rains.

Josie

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Nice! How did you attatch the cross bar to the two outer poles supporting the corners? And how did you attatch the center pole (the one that forms the little ridge) to the cross bar?
Old 05-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
2ya: Strangely I told my wife that the weak point of this design, unlike one using a track, was that water could still leak down the side of the trailer. It didn't seem to, the carpet stayed dry. Maybe pulling the crossbar down tight on the roof makes a better dam than I expected.

melissab: Here's a couple of photos. Basically the tubes (1" aluminum) are joined with tee connectors. I welded (not very well) them. Probably copper or plastic tees would work as well.

The horizontal poles have an eye on either end. The vertical pole has a stud and wing nut. I added a disk the size of the inside of the eye bolt. That keeps the fit quite firm and takes slop out. On top of the eye a metal plate acts as both a washer and the attachment point for the two ropes. It goes together pretty quickly.

Hope my explanation makes sense.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
30-05-2012 3-59-47 PM  001_resize.JPG   30-05-2012 3-59-48 PM  002_resize.JPG  

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #6

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Now THAT is too cool! Good job!
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags